Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A few questions about cameras, player models and collisions. (DBP)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 23:26
Helo all, this is my first post in this board, and I'm (almost) a complete noob to DBP, so bear with me.

First off, I cant figure out how to bind a model to the camera and then assign the camera to the arrow keys, but not let the camera/player model go beyound the map's floor (aka the terrain).

I have a hightmap in .hmp format and I want to make a terrain out of it. I se that there is a "make terrain" command, and one for texturing it. Okay, I get that, but now for collision. At that I am totaly lost. Do I need to add a colision point for every point on the map? Or is it just a simple command I am not seeing?

Thanks for any help!

ChrisB

Your signature has been erased by a mod, because the mod was so jealous of it that he couldnt bare looking at it.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 03:03
Anyone?

Your signature has been erased by a mod, because the mod was so jealous of it that he couldnt bare looking at it.
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 03:08 Edited at: 1st Feb 2006 03:17
I assume you are using Advanced Terrain. Use .bmp for your heightmaps. As for the rest, check the code base for "Juxta Tempus"
and you will find how its done in my code.

Not all collision will be handled by Advanced Terrain. You may want to try something such as Nuclear Glory.

If the comments arent clear,let me know and ill better explain.

Sorry for the berevity of my post. am tired and heading to bed.

example

- Do it, Do it Right, Do it right now..
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 03:36 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2006 02:17
hey chris!

here is a basic "moving ontop of matrix and camera follow" program:
(its an exerpt from my rpg)

and what i do for my rpg in loading maps is:

all its doing is calling an image and making a mesh out of it. and turning it into a matrix.
replace the images that are there with yours. (i found this in codebase it helps a ton!)

also.

right before your main loop put

hope this helps,
-Snowfall Studios

(on more thing chris, your heightmap needs to be in bitmap form for this to work. Go into photo shop and make a simple 50x50 thing and make it a bitmap. (remember. when using this the lighter the color the heigher the point goes))

-Snowfall.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 04:00
Wow, you guys are WAY better then the FPSC phsycos! LoL.

Hey, thanks for that info! I'll try it when I'm doen mixing this music.

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 05:15 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2006 02:17
Np bro. (my old account name used to be "fallen raven studios" one of the "FPSC phsychos" ) (thats why i left. hehehehe)

good luck with your game!

~snowfall.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 05:38
Lol, thanks. I'm not convinced I'll use DBP yet, i want to see how it handles particle emisions from the bottom of a snowboard...... Also a crashing system for when the character eats it.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 06:04
Hey snowfal, I've got a couple of questions:

1: For the "make characater" command area, could I just load an allready existing object?

2: How do I texture the matrix? It just appears as a mesh.

heres some modifications to the code, where the player gets his model. It says the file cant be found, but its sitting right there!

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 06:20 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2006 02:17
=Chris=. go to: C:/Program files/darkbasic/darkbasic pro/projects/<your project>: find your model in there and copy the link in address bar everything PAST the name of your project. then put that into the load object area with your model at the end of it.

as for texturing. you need to load the image and prepare the texture and delete the bitmap. here is what i did a LONG time ago. it seems like what you are trying to get at:

replace my image with your grass img. and my model with yours.
all this does is make a matrix, randomize it, texture it, enable matrix collision. it has nothing to do with loading a height map (just to let you know.) this should get you on the right track for texturing the matrix and loading your model.

good luck!
~snowfall

[EDIT] for further questions on loading height map. please note that before your main loop put:

[EDIT2] Oh yes and you can load ANY model in the character creation area. its just an object. becuase objects are specified by object numbers it technicaly can be any 3 demension shape. it could be as simple as a box or cone created in the editor or a full fleged 30,000 poly human model from 3DS max. its up to you. [/EDIT2].

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 06:31 Edited at: 1st Feb 2006 06:33
(sorry for double post yall)

eh chris. i was wondering if ya wanna work on an RPG together. i always enjoyed teaching.
if you have any special cool abilitys like texturing,modeling,sounds,music. please speak up!
cause that would be pretty cool to work together over the forums. exchanging source and models. just a thought. Iv had 3 attempts at an RPG. one of which was almost there but then i lost it when comp crashed. Grrrrrr. three weaks of work lost >.<

so im starting over. if you feel like this is a cool idea say something

~snow

Nighty Night! im off to hit the sack. see ya manyana. *flys away on dream cloud* ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZzz

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 06:33
Hi Chris.
Just a lil tip/note/imo Avoid using spaces in your filenames. It may/can lead to nasty things.(..kiki on board.x )
I'll have that board for you soon. Like tonight. ( ~8 hours from this post ).

!
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 07:47
I love this place! It's like heaven comparred to that sewer I'm used to *jestures at the FPSC board* HEHE!

Anywhoo. Thanks for all that help guys! Will test itout tomarrow, as I must sleep now. *goes off to dream land, but this one has alot of snow all over the place* Its time to ride!

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 15:44 Edited at: 1st Feb 2006 15:47
hehe! eh chris, if you wanna make a snowboard game id be up for that to!

[edit] yo chris. up above you said you wherent sure you wanted to use it. well, your gonna wanna. particles can be as easy as simple fireworks or ones smuggled from washington DC! hehehe. im sure that snowboard particles wouldent be hard at all! with my rpg snipped i showed you started with a cube that moved on a matrix with no collision. and before my comp crashed i had a full fleged RPG with a store, battle system, potions, armor. im sure your snowboard game would be a snap with a bit of practice! [/edit]

~snow

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 18:11
Erm, its a little more complicated then that, but ok, if you wanna join the team of doom, OYUR ON! but seriously. I kinda wanted to have some crazy crahsing stuff, so i THINK that means multiple player models. We should talk on MSN or sumthing.

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 18:48 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2006 02:17
yeah i know how complicated it is. we can stick to the forums. i dont have IM or MSNM. im pretty good at modeling and some coding.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 20:00
Sweet! Well, I have some modeling skilz (mostly modyfing pre made ones), I'm not too good at animations tho. My real Tallent is making terrain, especialy in GS3D. I also know snowboarding, cause most of my friends prefer it to skiing (me as the exception, I'm a hardcore
skier . I think today I shall put aside FPSC and limewire
( I was looking at, muhawhawhaw! *slobbers all over moniter*)
hehe! I found some tricked out tunes to use too!

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 01:15 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2006 02:17
(isnt limewire illegal?) lol.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 01:21
... yea, but so is ridink a dirt bike on state park property, ut i've doen it soooo much! Also, riding mtn bikes on public property without a helmet is ilegal. I dont own one.

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 02:22
=ChrisB= check out my website im workin on:

http://snowfall.homestead.com

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 02:38
sweet!

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 03:16
thanks. any suggestions? i added new part to project section (project links arnt active yet)

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 03:29
Hey, here is a perimitive pic of one of the riders.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 03:30
Another.

oh and btw snowfal, you need to add the models section!

Attachments

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 04:18
I'm having a great idea for a terrain park: use the noise tool in GS3D for jumps and mougles.

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 05:07
that rider is from Darkmatter 2 right? and in the second pic is that terrain acually in your game?

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 05:14 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2006 05:16
Sorry for double post:

here is a jump. i was bored (this is probably my worst model iv EVER done)

Attachments

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 05:30 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2006 05:36
Yea she is. That jump isnt to bad! It looks a little like its for a skate park tho... lol. And no that terrain isnt from my game, its from http://www.northstarattahoe.com. But that is a place I'm putting in the game, i just need to convert the DEM data to a hight map.

Oh yea, whats the max ploy limit for DBP?

And I've decided it would be best to just use meshes for the terain. I'm using GS3D, MAX and fagmotion for that.

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 05:49
you have MAX? isnt max like 7000$?

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 07:39
A friend gave it to me. And it's actualy only about $3000. Yea, only!

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 23:55
here's some pics of untextured terrain park on mountain#1.

Attachments

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 23:55
And another

Attachments

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 00:07
Still another!

Attachments

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 00:08
And still another!

Attachments

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 01:53
this whole thing smells like piracy to me, guys.
Don't ever give the impression you're using stolen software if you're not, just to keep away from getting into nasty discussions.
If you ARE using stolen software for that matter, you're a thief and this community will NOT like it...

Be careful what you say and how you say it, guys, just my two cents.

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 02:23
Yskonyn. i didnt take ANYTHING. i turned down working with chris. things are hard in RL right now. and im not the one that stole anyting.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 02:24 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2006 02:25
1st, you had a question in here somewhere, so... i'd check the terrain height at the desired x,z coord and adjust the object y position accordingly each loop. kinda like:

2nd, there are 30+ responses on this thread, most of which have nothing to do with your question and are mainly chit-chat between you and snow. while i'm sure it's convenient for the 2 of you, i doubt the rest appreciate this thread being bumped constantly, with little to no usefull information on the topic, or anything helpfull to a newcomer (that's what this section is for, btw). 4 posts from you, in a row, and within 13 minutes of eachother? i think that qualifies as spam, but... i've been wrong before.

Athlon XP1800+, Windows XP+SP2, Soyo K7V Dragon+ MB, 1.5Gb 333 RAM, ATI Radeon 8700LT (128Mb)
Drivers and Updates Kept Current
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 02:28 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2006 02:28
OMG! guys! for gods sake. i answered ChrisB's question and helped him load a height map! thats what he was ASKING. then he showed me a snowboarder and thought id help! i replied to help him. im not working with him i got him the height map thing. i taught him to go up and down on a matrix and showed him one model cause he wanted it. i dont have anything to do with this anymore. i helped him, end of converse

a mod can lock this thread

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 02:46
whaaa, what did i do? i didnt "steal" max, I told you: A FRIEND GAVE IT TO ME. if thats considered piracy, then I guess i'll just uninstal it. but if it IS considered piracy..... then thats just...... retarted.
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 12:08 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2006 12:11
Snowfall, you seem quite itchy. Take a beer and relax. Chris is the one making a new post for every sentence he wants to add to the conversation and neither did I say you were pirating software. I only expressed my concerns about the what had been suggested here. Learn to read.
Virtual Nomad is right about pointing out this is not a chatroom, but a forum. If you guys want to chat and layout ideas that's great, honestly, but do these kind of things on MSN on an IRC channel or something.

Chris, I didn't say you stole it, but for some reason I find it hard to believe that a) a friend g a v e a 3000 dollar piece of software to you and b) if he did, then I doubt he's put down the money for it and then give it to you...
By the way, you're the one telling everyone you will now stop using limewire AND in the next post admitting you know its illegal, but hey rules are to be broken (more or less, with your 'bike story').
I am just warning you before you get the whole community on your neck.

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2006 04:59
I guess you didnt get that bit about limewire. I was looking at...... stuff my mom doesnt want me to see. I dont pirate software any more, I used to tho. But I know my friend bought it, cause I was at his house when it got there.

And that bike story is damn true, lol.
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2006 12:32
o_O *rests his case*

Yskonyn -
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2006 19:30
lol.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 15:35:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 15:35:16