Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Idea for Inventory

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 17:06
Ok, I have an idea for an inventory screen. Here it is, all I want from this, is for someone to tell me if my idea would work.

I want to make an inventory screen for an RPG I have in mind. I am thinking of using Global Objects or a variable that says if it is = to lets say Global Object 1 goto action add_item_1. In add item one, it will simply add a sprite image to a panel style box, where when you click & drag an item onto the main character, he/she uses it then & there.

If the item has been removed, or used, make a line for remove from inventory, but if used, add extra lines for the items effects.

I know, I will have to add a heck of a lot more code to it to make it work, but will it work to do what I want?

Thx,
Superbeest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 17:24
I would disadvise you to use sprites in a 3d game, for the performance hit is considerable. Rather use plain objects instead and lock them. But besides that I think your idea whould work.

Magister Mundi sum!
LLX
Years of Service
User Offline
another tip make a array/dim for every item then if their 100x items in game and each can have 99 of each you cna up increase the coune in arry position Z

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 20:42
Thanks for the help guys, ill get to work on making it work, ill try & use one of my test levels to help me.

If I cant use sprites, then how am I supposed to make the background & the panels? In some engines, Sprites are also panels.

I was actually going to make an iventory screen, so that I could hid it when the player un pauses. Would this matter in what you were saying about the sprites?

Thx,

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 20:46
If you are using DB Classic, then superbeest is correct. If you are using DBPro, then sprites are already produced using 3D plains so you will get no slowdown.
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 21:07
Ok, good, ive got DBPro. By the way, I have quite a little team now. I pulled some of my friends into it & they are all saving up for the engine (one already has the money.)

Just wanted to say what a nice engine DBPro is.

Thx again,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 22:32:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 22:32:56