Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 21:05
What are dll's and why would i want to use them?
Sweet
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 22:21
They hold external routines - you would use them to add extra functionality to your programs.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 22:59
can you give me an example on what you mean by extra functionality.

Sweet
Superbeest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 23:25
You can create for instance a dll to make a function to give db(pro) extra commands to create games with.
There are many different dll's ranging from a simple one that gives you the version number of your directx to for instance a dll with math collision.
Now I guess you next question will be where to get those dll's. Just look around. check this forum, or create your own. You can create them by using the c language or something else.

Magister Mundi sum!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 23:40
You'll find loads of DLL's on MrTAToads site, and a few on mine : http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk/DBPro
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 23:41
Ok let me get this straight i can just use the db pro code to use a dll in my program even though that dll is probably more complex than my program and i can do this in a few lines of code?

Sweet
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library, as MrTAToad suggests DLL's provide extra functionality for your programs. for example if DB Pro did not have a particular feature you could code that feature in say C++ then load the DLL into DB Pro then use whatever you coded with DB Pro. This feature provides DB Pro with so much more flexibility, it's great

anyway, Hope I helped you out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 22:42:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 22:42:01