Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A few questions about useing Half life maps in my game.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 18:41
I want to use a Half life map in my game but I have a few questions about doing it.
1. Were would I get good Half life maps.
2. What is the code for loading them into the game.
3. Is there any legal things I need to know about.
Thanks

Delta Games studio
www.deltagamesstudio.50megs.com
SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 21:59
Quote: "1. Were would I get good Half life maps."

A quick search on google shows this sort of thing - only you know what you consider a "good" half life map though

...maybe one day I'll finish a project
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 00:02
You can NEVER sell any of your games or make people pay for it in any other way if you're using art that belongs to either Sierra, Valve or anyone else having the rights on it.
So much for the legal stuff.
Code for putting in half-life maps is covered more than once on this forum, please don't be lazy and do a quick search. 'BSP map' are probably keywords that'll work.
Good luck.

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 00:09
Quote: "3. Is there any legal things I need to know about."

I'm no lawyer, study law, or know the laws of the UK. But the most prominent thing is; you may not use (and/or sell) a map made by another party without that parties consent. That may require payment to that party. You may also be required to get permission to use a level; made by another party; in a game you give away.

Any maps made by another party are the property of that person. Even if the map is available for free download. The map is intended to be used inside the half life game, and as such may be limitd to that specific purpose.

Now if you are not selling the games; while the above holds true; most people will not complain about the maps being used, as long as you are not making a profit off that persons work.

That does not really help you, but points out a possible problem if you are building the game around the maps.

These are my opinions and do not reflect any specific laws that I can reference.

In Memory of My Dad.
I miss you very much.
Delta Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 22:34 Edited at: 4th Feb 2006 22:35
I have been scaning google and cant seam to find anything useful. Anyone know were I could get good BSP maps that would work well in DBP. They dont have to be half-life ones

Delta Games studio
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 02:31
^i assume you have halflife, why not just copy them from the /maps folder?

If you want anything DB related hosted, log in (with ws ftp or something) www.lysergium.net with username public@lysergium.net and password public. you'll be directed to lysergium.net/public
Delta Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 10:44
Quote: "i assume you have halflife, why not just copy them from the /maps folder?
"

never thought of that lol
thanks

Delta Games studio
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 17:55
Or to get your own maps, get into learning WorldCraft, or as it is known now: Valve Hammer (see the helpful links post on the Darkbasic Classic forum) or learn how to use Quark, originally a Quake map editor (also BSP) which uses WAD files for Textures, which in turn, can be found abundantly on the internet.

If you go for the Valve Hammer mapeditor then I'd suggest you pick up a copy of Half-Life Generation Box (the blue one). It includes Half-Life 1, Counterstrike 1, Opposing Force and Blue Shift as well as the Valve Hammer editor. The great thing about this is that you'll have tons of high quality textures to play with. It's in bargain bins everywhere, around 10-15 euro's (say 10 pounds) or so. Of course you can't sell any of your work if it makes it into your game, but at least it helps you get going bigtime.

Personally I find Quark easier to use, but that's probably because I've got more experience with that piece of software.

Good luck, mate

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 15:27:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 15:27:30