Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I'm bored of tutorials. I want human help! Please help me!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 03:03
Hello everyone. I just started learning darkbasic pro (using the trial version) and have been looking at tutorials, but it really isn't helping much. What i'm asking is, could you people out there help me to really get started programming? I'm wanting you people with experience to guide me and tell me how you got started.
I also want to kind of electronically get together with about 3 others who are not part of a software development team or organization, who are kind & patient and are willing to provide contact details, eg. e-mail address or msn messenger address. If anyone is willing to help, could you let me know at: bravbr@hotmail.com or post a reply on this thread.

I'd be excited to hear from you!

PS. I'm a 14 yr old freindly male who has been interested in programming for about 3 years. According to my family and friends I am a genius for my age. I've always loved computers and been rather good at using them.

Remember that everyone was once a noob! (unless you were somehow born with those skills...)
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 22:39
It's good that you're a "genius" but most of us started programming when we were 7 or 8... and in Basic not Darkbasic. My first program was on a TI-Pro computer with about 100,000 lprint statements (a non-Darkbasic command that prints directly to the printer).

The way we help around here is when a person tries to do something and they run into problems... then we help them.

What are you currently working on that you need help with?

Bobbity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 08:12
Well 'genius' was overdoing it. I'm not trying to make myself look better than anyone else. It's just that I do some work 2 years ahead of my age, which isn't common where I live.
Anyway, I've been programming in quickbasic since I was about 11, which I think is very much like basic? It's great to see that you started programming when you were about 7 or 8 (unless you weren't talking about yourself,) and I respect you for that. I should have explained myself more clearly. What I was trying to say is, could you experienced 'pro-noobs' tell me steps you took to become a darkbasic programmer? I also was asking if anyone wants to give me their e-mail or msn messenger address so I can communicate with them easier, especially without using these forums?
I want to make games. Good games. My problem is that to get started on qbasic (quickbasic), I read a great big tutorial. And after going through it a few times, I knew alot about qbasic. But when I skimmed through a few tutorials about Darkbasic, and actually went through only about half of one, I learnt a bit and even found it a bit fun. At fisrt. Later on, I got bored and found these forums. I'm not saying the tutorials were not good. Also, I know it takes a hard worker to program games, especially good ones, and I am determined to be one. But I thought, to make it better, easier, more fun, and loads of other stuff, I could get together with some experienced programmers and maybe even another noob, and more personally than forums we could learn and teach together using e-mail or msn messenger. I totally don't mind if you think this is a stupid idea, but I hoped there would be people out there who could, and would, like to help. Maybe even get started making a game or games together. I'd like to finish there, cos I don't want to write too much and put a bad impression or something. But if anyone out there would like to help me, then PLEEEEASE could you? This means ALOT to me. Thanks for your time!

hElP mE!
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 13:07
count me in, looks like it could be fun.

life's one big game
spec= 1.6ghz, 512mb ram, 128mb gpu, directx 9.0c, dbpro and classic
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 18:20
Bobbity it sounds like you don't want to put in the effort to learn coding in darkbasic, but instead want people to give you ideas and quickfixes presented on a plate.
Unfortunately this is not going to happen. As with every other programming language (and many things in general for that matter) you'll have to put in much time and effort. Learning doesn't come in one day it takes time and practise. If you already have some experience in Qbasic then I am sure you can grasp Darkbasic in time too, however if you don't want to put in time and effort and instead only want 'quick-fix games' (read: people tell you what to code, you code it and bam a game is born) I don't think game programming is for you at all.

As said a ziljon times before: people just starting out always have too big a project in mind (myself including, hehe), but you have to to start simple. Get the basics, play around with one part at a time and solve the puzzle over time.
Don't expect to be the commercial quality games developer. It won't happen.

Good luck

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I actually started programming when I'm was about 21 and now I'm about 24 years old. Darkbasic is the easiest language to learn and if you have experience with VB 6 or vb.net, it shouldn't be that difficult.

I think the best way to learn something is to do it yourself, then if your stuck on something, the DB forum is a great place to help.

www.creepyfish.com
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 22:10 Edited at: 5th Feb 2006 22:17
Quote: "Bobbity it sounds like you don't want to put in the effort to learn coding in darkbasic, but instead want people to give you ideas and quickfixes presented on a plate."

I 2nd that motion.

In the immortal words of Lost In thought "..but you havent shown me any code"

My learning experience here has been step 1) learn to think for and help your self. step 2)When all fails,ask for guidance and show where you left off so guidance may be deliverd.

The steps often taken by Lost In Thought in "mentoring" me was for me to start with an idea, research how to put that idea to code, explain to LIT what my goal was, get feed back and a suggestion on what approach to take next, rewrite my code to meet the suggestion, show LIT my code, LIT would then either rewrite what I wrote and comment it for me to learn from further or tell me where in my code I went wrong.

But it is true,it sounds more like you want it all done for you.
"book is stupid" mentallity.

- Do it, Do it Right, Do it right now..
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 22:27 Edited at: 5th Feb 2006 22:28
Quote: "Well 'genius' was overdoing it. I'm not trying to make myself look better than anyone else. It's just that I do some work 2 years ahead of my age, which isn't common where I live."

It's ok... most of us have been called that at one point or another. It must be because most people think you have to be a genius to program.

Quote: "Anyway, I've been programming in quickbasic since I was about 11, which I think is very much like basic? It's great to see that you started programming when you were about 7 or 8 (unless you weren't talking about yourself,) and I respect you for that. I should have explained myself more clearly. What I was trying to say is, could you experienced 'pro-noobs' tell me steps you took to become a darkbasic programmer? I also was asking if anyone wants to give me their e-mail or msn messenger address so I can communicate with them easier, especially without using these forums?"

I did include myself in that. I started at about 8 with just messing around with a Basic cartridge on a Bally Arcade Machine and a Basic you can actually save your work on the TI Pro then went on to GWBasic on a Tandy 1000 then later QuickBasic on that same Tandy. I programmed in QuickBasic for about 10 years till I started hitting the limits of QuickBasic and couldn't make the games/utilities I want. I stopped programming for about 6 years then a friend told me about Darkbasic. I joined these forums shortly after I downloaded the Darkbasic Trial from here. Darkbasic brought me back from the darkness of non-programming.

Having QuickBasic as a base you'll easily learn commands in Darkbasic. All you have to do is think of a QuickBasic command and see if Darkbasic has something similar. Some commands are there but use a different syntax. Like "select case" in QuickBasic has been reduced down to "select". Some commands are there but have changed like "Mid$" in QuickBasic can take out more than 1 character... Darkbasic only takes out one character (but because you can make functions it's easy to make a true "mid$" command). And some commands have new abilities that QuickBasic didn't have... "cls" can now have a color at the end to clear the screen with that color "cls rgb(255,255,255)".

Everything that you did in QuickBasic is 100x easier in Darkbasic. Sprites are amazing... no more doing it the old fashioned way in QuickBasic! There's no need to load a library in QuickBasic to have a mouse... no libraries needed to make real sound fx. Everything is already in Darkbasic.

I suggest you just start looking at the Darkbasic help files and start experimenting... you'll soon start putting together games.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2006 05:19
I started programming almost 10 years ago with QB. QB sprites, haha, what a pain in the butt. Having to xor another sprite over it just to get a transparent image.

I'll help out with questions you have, but I don't have the patience to sit down with anyone for an hour for 1 on 1 learning. You can find my contact info in my profile.

DB is great for beginners. A simple language to help you learn structure, but allows you to quickly build programs that show off your work and keep you motivated. It was hard starting out for me, nothing fancy to look at after hours of programming. Tough to stay motivated.

Deadly Night Assassins
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2006 11:11 Edited at: 6th Feb 2006 11:12
I dont know when I started. I started with the calculators in our school, they have an inbuilt programing language that has the same syntax and looks almost the same as db, but as you can guess it was not even close to as powerful as these two. That was for about one and a half year ago. Then a friend downloaded the dbc trial. And now Im stuck with dbpro since the end of the summer or something like that. Now Im in the beginning of my first/second 3d game (I never completed my first one, instead I made a presentation out of it, so I dont know if it counts). db is a great programing language, easy to learn and easy to use. Myself Im mostly the self-learning type, most of my skill Ive got from experimenting. The only help Ive got is threw my friend and lately from the forum. Ive even read one tutorial (or a part of one anyway). I recomend you start easy and advance the more you learn. Start basic, then advance. Then youll just need patience. And then you will be a master in no time.
Bobbity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2006 21:30
All you people; Eatfishy, Phaelax, Mr X and especially Grog Grueslayer (you know alot more about qbasic than I do, Grog Grueslayer), have really helped me.
But Yskonyn and x1b, it's not that I don't want to put the effort in. I am determined to put the effort in to program games. After all, I enjoy programming. But as I said before, I know it will be more fun, provide more experience, could even be easier and many other things if I'm not alone. I'm not trying to criticize you. I fully understand if you think I'm not putting the effort in. I just wanted some experts' advice before I start, and some people who I could e-mail to get easier help and even work together to make some really great games. You two have still helped me though.
Thank you all!

smallg, i'll try to get in touch with you.

hElP mE!
Bobbity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2006 21:33
Oh I forgot to say, the genre of game i'm going to try to make is a rpg.

hElP mE!
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2006 21:47
Quote: "I started programming almost 10 years ago with QB. QB sprites, haha, what a pain in the butt. Having to xor another sprite over it just to get a transparent image."

Amen to that! It was always annoying (of course that's all we knew at the time so we had to do it that way). Darkbasic makes life SO much easier with the sprite commands.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I am a genius for my age"

Oh god, that kind of comment is really annoying...

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
rjweng
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2006 04:46
So Am I to old to start programming at the age of 33???? As you make it sound that the older you are that you can't start programming....

Anyways I ordered my copy of DB Pro.... can't wait for it, as it seems so easy to work with. As I am a big time gamer, looking forward to messing around with making my own game, and these forums are a great help.
Sharky
Years of Service
User Offline
Nah, by no means are you too old heh. I'm 33 myself so. I have been programming since I was 7 yrs old though, so it may be a little tougher for you, but you can do it. IMHO, best thing that you can do is to buy the book on DB that they sell on this site and read it thoroughly and do all the examples until u understand what it does and then move on to the next. Once finished the book reread over areas that u feel you are still weak in and redo those examples. Then when done keep a hold onto that book whereas u can use it as a reference instead of having to repeatedly go to the Help section of the programming interface.
Just try to get your feet wet writing some small programs that don't really do all that much because I will tell u this from experience....You won't be making awesome programs in no time flat. You need to start out with small boring programs and learn what each thing does. When you master that then you can move on to bigger things like perhaps a text adventure or if u are adventurous even try for a small 2d game. I really wouldn't advise trying to program and 3D stuff from the beginning. You need a basic foundation from which to start so follow those steps and I think you will do fine...=)
Bobbity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2006 05:47
Thanks everyone for all your help, especially those that put me on their msn messenger contact list and personally helped me. I don't require your help no more- I'm hooked enough to keep making games! I've already nearly made a 3d pong game. I will try to upload it once it is done. Thanks anyway!!!!

The only game i've made is 3d pong!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2006 18:13
you know what's funny?

i found DBPro at the age of 14 after using QBasic for about 3 years

so i guess we're a lot alike... except i think i was a lot more naive about game development then you are... what i wanted to make with DBPro when i bought it was a huge project... it's just a good thing it was my first time on a forum so i was really cautious about spouting my ideas

as far as what people have been saying about starting small... i agree, you need to make things like pong before you make an RPG...

but don't let yourself forever be trapped in the world of tiny little games that take no effort to program, you have to find a balance, always challenging yourself with a harder program than the last one, but not overestimating yourself.

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 00:24
True, the trick is to create little programs at first which actually have a lot more 'under the hood' than you might think.
Try expanding on a given project to play with even more commands. This will steadily increase your knowledge.
In the end you've had enough practise to get into one of those 'huge' projects!

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2006 06:59
DarkBASIC is my first serious programming Launguage! I did do a little qBasic but not much...

I do agree with Yskonyn though I had to learn the hard way as well when I asked for help this is sort of the same response I got.

But good luck anyway just remember
"We are always learning. We always have room for improvment."

You Don't know the power of the Dark Side!!
Oh but I do!!
Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2006 08:34
Quote: "some experienced programmers and maybe even another noob,"

/me both

FunkyStickmen: Battle of the Races (1%)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 15:35:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 15:35:19