Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Importing question's

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I have a few questions on importing my own content into the game. I have managed to port in some of my own props with is damn easy. But i now i want to port in a characters, weapons and textures.

So for weapons -
-Do i attach my weapon to the FPSC biped for first person animation?
-Do i have to add a camera to the max scene and move it so i can see the weapon and hands in a first person position? If not how do i do this.
-What files and where to i place them in the fpsc directory.
-Will FPSC automaticly make a rotation animation for when its places down in the game. Or can i make the game just have the weapon lieing on the floor.

Character's
-After attaching the model to the biped is it just a case of combining the texture, the model with animation using a fpe file?
-What directory is the model/textures and sounds placed within the FPSC directory?

Texture's -
-Is it a case of simply putting the TGA/DDS in the correct folder?
If there are more files that i need please let me know where they go in the FPSC directory.

Once i know this i can start creating custom content for people to use. Props, weapons, characters, textures. Thanks for helping and if you know the answers people post!

-Stormy

"On the way over, Over"
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2006 15:32 Edited at: 8th Feb 2006 15:34
Weapons:

1. Don't need to unless you want to reference the hand positions otherwise weapons can be animated completely on their own.

2. You don't need to add a camera but it helps to see where things are and how they will look in game. Use the Panda Exporter. It exports in world coordinates, meaning everything is offset from 0,0,0 in max.

This is what I do. Set system unit scale to inches. Setup a free camera with an FOV 58 and position it at 0,0,0. Align objects and viewports. Refer pic below.

3. For the files and directory structure, look in gamecoreguns to see what is need and where things go. - Sorry can't explain all right now. Briefly you need 2 xfiles and textures. HUD.x this is the animated player weapon. VWEAP.x is a static model that will be used my ai characters. oh and the gunspec.txt most important, its like the fpe.

4. Havent looked at it.

Characters:
1. Yes
2. Entity bank for character model and textures. I suggest creating a folder structure that is similiar to the ones in there. eg.scifi,ww2
Sounds, look audiobankvoices.

Textures:
Technically, most of the textures can go anywhere you like since it is referenced by path in the fpe file. But strongly suggest the way the default structure is laid out, if you are building a game or plan to give out stuff.

Typically, Character and gun textures go with the model files in their respective folders. Other entities like props, the mesh goes in the meshbank and textures in texurebank. Same with segments. This is ideal as you would probably have tons of them compared to characters and weapons.

good luck. In a bit of a rush at the moment. Keep asking if you need more info and I'll try to answer where possible .

!
Stormy
Years of Service
User Offline
Awsome thanks for that. I havnt tryed it yet but will do asap. Looks pritty simple to follow and ill get back to you if i have any problems.

Im guessing with the arms just make them fit in the camrea view port and save it as part of the HUD.X.

Last quick question. Polly counts. What sort of polly counts you people using? Im in the prcess of modeling this.. http://img287.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p13021tp.jpg its going to be 800 polly's but this is for my course and if it works well i will port into fpsc. If i can go higher i may well remodel.

"On the way over, Over"
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 09:46
Sorry didnt reply, for some reason it shows the last post as mine on my browser, so I thought you didnt reply. Lol. Strange.

Anyway, polycounts are really up to you. Dependant on your traget machine specs and game design. Its always about balancing the two.

!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-28 21:43:18
Your offset time is: 2024-06-28 21:43:18