Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / the book that's out

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 02:11
does anyone own the new darkbasic book? the review on amazon (us) doesn't go into very much about what the book offers. i've been considering getting it (since i ask so many stupid questions) just wondering if it is really worth the $. thanx.
Speedhorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 02:15
I have it, but i am a 100% complete noob.
It's aimed at people who have no or very little knowledge of darkBASIC. If you have a basic grasp of it, i don't think you'll get much out of it, but if you're a complete noob, i would go for it.

Ralph, Jesus didn't have wheels.
Jeffro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 00:09
I agree that it is aimed at beginners but it does have a lot of valuable information in it. The final game in the book is an online multiplayer car game so the book does take you up to a fairly good level.

Plus it covers graphics programming and things like Force Feedback. Yes it starts as if you know nothing but it does take you quite a way into game programming.

I am finding it very useful.

It's never as easy as it looks!
Speedhorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 19:06
I don't know, but i bet some decent bookshops like Waterstones could order it for you if they haven't got it in, just give them a ring.

Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 19:18
Does it cover DarkBASIC Professional then? If it does it's a must have for me.

DarkBASIC Professional is the best programming utility.
8/10 Housewives agree!
Speedhorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 19:37
@ Daz + MarzMan: to quote a paragraph from the book:

"This book was most certainly not written for experienced programmers. If you have a knack for new software and you are able to install DarkBASIC and within minutes write a somple program without breaking a sweat, then you are too advanced for this book. However, if you have experience writing code but would like to know more abour DarkBASIC Professional (the latest version from Dark Basic software ltd, which was released in late 2002), then i think you will find this book useful because it covers both versions. (In fact, the book is possibly a little slanted toward DarkBASIC Professional.)"

Hope this is of use.

claudio
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the book also:

It arrived well before my copy of DBPro did (I'm still waiting). But to be honest, I get more useful information from reading the help menus in DB, and reading these forums then I do from that book. It's good at explaining WHAT things do in DB but not very good at giving examples of HOW they are used in a game environment. It also does very little for those of us interested in building 2D games.

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 19:01
I have the book and DBPro. It does indeed start very simply (I came from a background of QuickBasic and VB) but it is essential even if you are reasonable at programming as there are subtle, but important, differences between, for instance, DB and QB. There is much information on 3D programming (something I knew nothing about having only really coded text-games) although it does seem that there is very little for the avid 2D programmer (I am currently planning a Civilization-like game).
All in all, I would highly recommend it. If you're in the UK, Foyles in London seems to be the only shop that stocks it but any will order it in. I must say that it is by far the cheapest to order it from Amazon.
All the best

samirkillo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there,
if any of you guys want to sell the book, I might be interested.
let me kno yeah?

[b])

Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 13:18
Samirkillo you can get it from Amazon for about £30.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
ccliffy
Years of Service
User Offline
I got the book at the same time as DBPro (3 weeks ago).
Half the book is really 'basic' - if you know another language you'll zip through first 2/3 in about 90 minutes.
If you want instructions on how to make a game - I believe you willl be disappointed.
The tutorial/help files are a better learning resource
Just my opinion,
Cliff

Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 22:18
I disagree there ccliffy, some people learn best with some structure, which the book certainly provides.

Also I have learnt to make games much quicker with the book in conjunction with the file commands pages (which I use as a reference mostly) and the tutorials, and also the people here on the forums.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 12:43:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 12:43:09