Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / SUBsurface (shmup-dev compo entry WIP)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2006 17:07
hi all,

I'm entering a game called SUBsurface into the shmup-dev compo, I's based on Irem's In The Hunt, but it really looks nothing like it. the idea is similar though.

So far I have my game environment up and running with a working level system and 2 weapons in place. I'm thinking of more weapons to add while I code another particle system to enhance the explosion effects. I find myself constantly jumping between 3d, image editing, audio and code, making for a most bizzare development experience, but i'm having great fun and loving every minute of it.

here is a screenie from the latest test. much tweaking still needs to be done.

I'll update the screenie as more stuff makes it's way into the game.

Thanks, Grant.

Ohd Chinese Ploverb say : Wise Eskimo, not eat yerrow snow.
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2006 18:39
Wow how cool is that great special effects man.
Well done!

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2006 19:10
Looking quality as usual Grant

Steve

For game/demo music for YOUR PC productions visit:-www.futuredevelopments.org.uk
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2006 19:28
I'm dead this game is superb

Theme park simulator 15% Currently making object selection
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2006 22:27 Edited at: 11th Feb 2006 22:28
Hey, why do you get stickies all the time?

Nice game! Looks good!
*frantically starts working on Shmup entry again*

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2006 22:29
Why is this in geek culture and not wip?

Amazing as usual gc, the sun glare is a cool touch alright

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
um...it is in the wip board...

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2006 02:32
i decided to make the explosions a bit different, so i ripped out a load of code and replaced it with what you see in the image, in motion it looks ver nice and theres a stroboscopic 'pop' when thing explode

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, looks wonderful

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2006 06:59
now we have another baddie type

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2006 13:09
Very nice looking!

Did you use the same engine from Helios?

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2006 13:42
the only thing from helios is the landscape system, helios was 7500 lines of code, this is currently sitting at 2000 lines.

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2006 15:02
nice explosion

Theme park simulator 15% Currently making object selection
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2006 12:58
I have made some changes to the weapons now to add a bit more visual impact, The player fire is very rapid moving and so far consists of lasers and torpedos, The particle system was producing too much transparent objects over each other and occasionally glitched the display, so i reworked it again and reduced the particle count by 66% wothout loosing too much off the visuals. The water surface and misty layers have been made a bit brighter and makes the overall look of the game a bit nicer. The bubble effect has also had a bit of a boost with some added brightness. before adding the last of the enemy firing code, i'm going to change the lighting to try and brighten it further still. I'll update the screenie when it's all in.

thanks, Grant.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2006 13:16
gc, if i may ask

what collision routine are you using for the bullets?
i seem to be getting into slowdowns each time spacekey is pressed to fire more bullets, and when a bullet hits an enemy i get a slowdown.
i use the square root of the bullets xyz and enemy xzy position.
so if i have 200 bullets and 200 enemies at the screen that means it checks for the square root 200*200 = 40'000 times in one frame.
however i made it so it checks for collision each 5th frame.

what are you using for the landscape? matrix, a-terrain or object.
is the terrain generated by the engine? i love that style and would like to look more into matrix manipulation. i've made some searches but its serious math. too advanced for me at this time. or could that be that i found a calculation method using matrices? hmm, a teacher at my work (math/it teacher) told me that it was probably a calculation method i found and that he doesn't really understand too well, but he also said that if i learned it i would be elite. :/

nice game as allways

HorizShootiz progress 1337% :/
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2006 16:30 Edited at: 13th Feb 2006 18:47
Looking cool GC, I was playing Blood Money yesterday and that put me in mind of your entry idea, it's looking as good as I expected.

Lukas,
Quote: "if i have 200 bullets and 200 enemies at the screen"

Gah!

That's a helluva lot. For one thing, once a bullet or enemy is off screen, you can kill it and re-use it the next time you need, so 200 bullets and 200 enemies is a crazy amount of processing to put your engine through. I mean 64 enemies and 128 bullets should be plenty for most shmups. Always use an array to store the mode of the enemy or bullet (or particle or whatever), so mode 0 is off, mode 1 is on - so you can skip dead enemies or bullets right away.

It could be worse, you might decide to add enemy on enemy collision! - that's a real headache .

Van-B

EDIT: Code snippet for quick box collision to help avoideth the SQRT of doometh.

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2006 18:27
heh, avoideth the SQRT of doometh.

use the simplest math you can for speed and if you can find a way to cheat that's fast use it

That's the enemy energy weapon firing code in now and it works a treat, i'm going to expand it a bit with different behaviours. but the code works and the player can now be shot. adding some enemy firing has really brought the game to life now, and i can feel the speed of development increasing

i'll post more updates as they happen

thanks, Grant.

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2006 21:01
Enemy firing behaviours now added, its now possible for the all of the enemy objects to use the firing system and choose a behaviour to use when firing, making for a bit more variation in the game

The new screenie shows the environment in a much brighter state than before, It might be changed back to a dark environment i'm not sure, after there is more enemy types in there I should get a better sense for the overall mood, bright and energetic, or high contrast with a darkside feel. hmmm.

@VanB, Cheers m8, I'll be relesing a limited feedback test version on 15th feb so some folk will get a chance to play in a half made state.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2006 21:54
Grr... darn you for being so awesome.

Well, as usual your game looks amazing, and extremely playable. You even have light shining through the water. I like this talk of having enemies that can choose their own behavior.

Sounds fun, can't wait to try it.

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 01:00
Hi All,

I have started assembling the levels proper now, there is 3 baddie types now in operation which is enough to lay out a half decent level to play. For an underwater based shooter it's playing more like a faster space based shooter, but the feel is pretty much right now. I'm going to stick another couple of baddie types in, finish a level map proper, then figure out a bonus system for each level. The boss baddies are going to be based on groups controlled by hidden geometry.

anyways, back to work now. theres tons of stuff still to do.

cheers, Grant.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 09:03
Van B, that sounds great thanks for the tip on the collision routine.
and yeah i have that "life" array that decides if the enemy/bullet lives. if its energy < 0 or outside screen, then it will be re-used.

geecee, this sounds really promising and good luck with it

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 15:16
hi all,

It was a late night testing last night, but everything went according to plan, there are now 4 enemy types in the game now and i hope to double that count by the time i go to bed tonight, I'm also going to start on some of bonuses and scoring system, a busy day today, and loads more screenies to come. there will be a limited playtest released tomorrow (15th feb) at some point.

Thanks, Grant.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 16:23
Nifteh, this one I'm lookin' foreward to

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
FrEaK Sk8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 18:13
UU... Very nice ... )) It's the best !! 2000 lines ?? When I read that I was shocked ... How can any1 write so many lines of code ... Nice ... By !

-- underpiksna --
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 00:02
things are progressing quickly now, most of the enemy types are in place and just need some interesting models attached to them, there will be 10 types of basic enemy on a level and a boss at the end of each, the 10 basic types are defined at the start of the level to allow a different set of baddies for each level in the game. currently at 3387 lines of code and growing by the minute

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 13:42
ok, last night was a total coding mission, there are 12 enemy types in place in the code, i was going to have 10, but i miss-counted, so now there's 12. There is still al lot of work needing done on the 12 types, but the code is all in place and i'm now sitting at 4830 lines. more than 1500 lines of code yesterday, I hope today brings similar amounts of productivness

thanks, Grant.

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 23:37 Edited at: 15th Feb 2006 23:39
Gosh, how the fudge do you code so fast, or, how many hours per day do you spend, you sure beat me at speed coding...

EDIT - How long have you been coding, what month and what year?

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 00:26
Hmm, wasn't today supposed to be the deadline for teh demo?

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 03:14
This is the thread. You must be thinking of the typing game compo.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
No, he means the demo for us to play.
Quote: "there will be a limited playtest released tomorrow (15th feb) at some point.
"

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 22:44
Oh lol, okay yeah, now I know.

SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 02:43
And knowing is half the battle!

Looking very nice gc

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 20:27
I ran into some issues with the performance of the warping matrix that originally made up the water surface, it was just way too intensive and the computation power was needed elsewhere, i substituted the matrix with 2 plains and a single texture with a bit of cool blending and some scrolling / rotation. The screenie does not do the overall movement of the game any justice, almost every part of the screen has something changing in it, fading in and out, blending together etc. Sorry folks but the playtest was limited to a couple of people for quick feedbacks .

i'm, about to start work on some GUI elements for the game now, although i'm fighting with myself over what style i want to have. lol

cheers, Grant.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 21:31
It looks absolutely brilliant but I have come to expect nothing else! Great work as always.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 14:16
sounds very promising gc

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
I want an update

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 04:03
heh, lol @ UFO.

Things are coming along nicley, the GUI stuff you see in the top screenie is not the final graphics, neither is anything pretty much, it's mostly just place-holders just now.

here is a list of additions to the game.

* more dynamic water effect
* state transition effect
* pad/stick, keyboard, mouse and x-arcade support
* player collisions and shield/hull damage
* laser charge meter (release button to allow lasers to recharge)
* projectile magazine meter (works the same as lasers)
* hull damage meter
* carnage bonus calculator
* optomised and used more scaling in the landscape
* seamless from title through the game and back to title again.
* loads of other litle things that you forget at stupid o'clock.

I'm taking my laptop to bed now to work on HUD grapics that actually fit the game mabey hopefully, the joys of game making.

cheers, grant.

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 19:26
Sheesh, you beat me at this compo.

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
looking superb G...

--Mike
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 22:41
heh, cheers guys.

There has been a number of additions to the game, but most of them ere invisible and not graphicy, but I have managed to get the look of the HUD I want, It's still a bit too bright, but that's not really an issue, a quick tweak of the source images or the diffuse colour of the sprite and it should fit in nicley, Just about to do a bit more work on the HUD, then start allocating stuff to the great many pickups that get spawned

Anyways, back to work. time feels like it's getting short now, but I reckon i'll make the deadline with the game in a finished state.

cheers, grant.

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 23:02
Okay, for sure, I'm dead on this compo, you won, hands down. I love the new hud.
BTW - how do you make your hud images perfect quality. When I put my hud in, the quality goes down. How'd you do that, or what are doing for the quality to be perfect?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 03:46
@drew

load image "whatever.jpg",1,1 <--- extra 1

not sure i like the gui, bit to big? i prefer a small icon for a ship then the health or whatever not 50font size SHIP written :/.

but it looks cool.

Halowed are the ori.
Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 04:01
ty dark coder

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 16:02
hi peeps,

just added a little more to the game and reworked the HUD, you can see it in the forst screenie, It's a lot less intrusive now and makes the game feel less cramped, i think it looks quite good, but it does need a bit of touching up.

cheers, grant.

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 19:52
Yeah it looks better, can we have a demo ?

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 04:14
hi folks,

i just uploaded a new screenie of the game to let you see how it's progressing. theres only 2 weeks left till the deadline and things are getting a bit hectic, i still have masses to do and i'm begining to feel the squeeze, but i'll make it. (crosses fingers)

I'll be doing more graphics and code at the same time for the next few days, tweaking and updating the models and behaviours of the baddies until i'm happy that they provide enough of a challenge so as the game won't be completed in a sitting .

anyways, it's 03:12am on monday morning, and i'm almost ready for bed, but i have the urge to add a couple more things before i hit the hay, so with that i'll say goodnight, i have work to do .

cheers, grant.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 05:12
man, good luck, I really hope you make it.

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 20:20
GeeCee is DarkBASIC's best and greatest ever DarkBASIC developer, he will always be the best and no one will ever top him, not me, not you, not anyone. It's no use to try either, you'd better quit darkbasic if you think you can. And he'll win the compo with no problems.

Good work GeeCee.

Current Project - Jono's Maze(Open Source, 3d maze shooter)
Progress Of Project - 0.5%
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 20:34 Edited at: 7th Mar 2006 20:34
Quote: "he will always be the best and no one will ever top him, not me, not you, not anyone. It's no use to try either, you'd better quit darkbasic if you think you can."

woah. Don't go that far I am sure sometime there was/will be someone better than him, but he is probably the best at this time.

Quote: "And he'll win the compo with no problems. "

Are you sure Nah. jk. But you shouldn't say that unles you have been reading the shmup-dev forums. There are some pretty good contendors, but I think his looks the best.

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 20:36
The guys/guy/gals/gal/whatever that made Star Wraith was better then him in the day but he kicks their asses all over the joint now. I think I'll go that far unless you or the next "GeeCee" proves me wrong.

Point Made

Current Project - Jono's Maze(Open Source, 3d maze shooter)
Progress Of Project - 0.5%

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:29:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:29:20