Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Beginner's Tutorials Here

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2006 17:31
This is gonna sound like spam but here it is. I have been working on a few tutorials and you can find them on my site. The beginner tutorials are done I'm working on the file ones now and then I will do some game design tutorials.

Here's the link: [href]http://jonsdbpage.tripod.com/ [/href]

It's tripod but done pretty well. Enjoy.

Need Tutorials? New to DarkBASIC? - http://jonsdbpage.tripod.com
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 15:43 Edited at: 14th Feb 2006 15:44
cant you put the url in the http:// brackets it might help.

Nice site though

http://jonsdbpage.tripod.com/

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 19:43 Edited at: 14th Feb 2006 19:44
Thanks! Lots of people are visiting too site count is up to 124 and its only a new site.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 21:13
Everyone will visit just to see what it is, its who actually stays that counts

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 22:09 Edited at: 14th Feb 2006 22:10
wow! That website is good, but with the pop-up adds that the pop-up blocker can't block, I now hate it

If you want more people, please use a hosting service without the terrible pos-ups.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 16:47
I agree with UFO the pop ups are really anoying.

Cool site though as I said

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 18:10
Looks kewl,

Try using Firefox, I haven't got any pop ups yet

"I want to put a bullet through my head everytime I think of you!!!"- Slayer
Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 20:43
Sorry stupid Tripod/Lycos puts them there and too cheap and lazy to get a domain and use frontpage!

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 20:43
@RUCCUS Are you always this negative?

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 16:29
Pong coming soon!

x1bwork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 16:32 Edited at: 17th Feb 2006 16:47
I dont think ruccuss is being negative. more,realistic.

[edit] adjusting img size

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 21:35
So you think they suck. I wasted my time then again for trying to help newcomers to DarkBASIC.Why do I even try! I won't do any tutorials ever again.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 22:04
Quote: "more,realistic."

Negaitve then?

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 15:12 Edited at: 18th Feb 2006 15:30
Ok, nowhere did I say the tutorials suck, I was giving a piece of advice to not get too into creating the tutorials until you had a decent amount of people commenting on the actual tutorials instead of the site, so as not to waste your time if actual beginners didnt find it useful. I myself havent read the tutorials but I did visit the site and read the first paragraph or two of one of the tutorials, you've got a fairly good writing style I'm not sure of the content however so I cant comment on that.

As said above, not negative, realistic. (Ofcourse as zoto also said, realistic = negative so... maybe I was)

<EDIT>

I just read over the first few lessons, and Im really not trying to be rude but there are some problems... You tend to skip over important topics but go into indepth explanations for the smaller things, like arrays, theres a lot more too them then the couple of sentences you wrote, there's also the grammar I find myself stopping a lot asking myself what just happened. I'll read some more and get back to you.

<EDIT 2>

I hope you take this as constructive critisism, Im not sure you're qualified to write tutorials yet; you use the phrase "so and so means so and so, I believe" a lot, it seems like you're never sure what you're talking about. The grammars coming back again aswell, try putting the code in a different text colour so people can diferentiate it from the tutorial as the code and tutorial are sometimes not spaced apart. Also, if I was a beginner taking this tutorial I would be writing all the code you're telling me without erasing the old code, you're working under the assumption that each time you show some more code that the beginner will erase their old code but they usually wont which could lead to some problems.

Then again, Im just one anonymous person that cant spell anonymus that you'll most likely never meet, so my opinion isn't very relevant. Do with it what you will.

</EDIT>

Goodluck,
- RUC'

Radagar
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello I am new to this i have studied a bit of programing in the past but nothing extensively. I found your website to be very helpful although a bit more examples would be helpful. Thank you for your time and effort put into the webpage.

hi
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 22:46 Edited at: 18th Feb 2006 22:49
The problems I see are:

Tutorial 3

Quote: "
Example
ink rgb(red,blue,green),transparentcy

No matter what people say the last number is transparentcy like in Cls, not a id given to the color. Just check some of the DarkBasic example files.
"

It's not transparency its the background color of the text. You should add an explanation of the "set text opaque" command and show them what happens when you combine "set text opaque" and add a background color to the "ink" command. Also in the Basic 2D Lesson you have "ink rgb(255,0,0),1". That ",1" should be ",0" if you want a true black background.

Lesson 4

`Change the text font?
set text font "Times New Roman"
set text bold
set text italic
set text bolditalic
perform checklist for text fonts
"

Most of the commands are wrong... they should be:

set text to bold
set text to italic
set text to bolditalic
perform checklist for fonts

Lesson 5

Never use "gosub" if you don't have a "return". Teaching them to "gosub" to the very next line is teaching them bad habits as well. This can be a nice place to introduce newbies to do/loops instead.

Lesson 6

In the code example you have "set text size 8". In the default screen size this text size is microscopic and can hardly be read. This line isn't needed... the default size is fine.

Lesson 7

That was system keys for other keys

inkey$() = string$

Or keystate() = keyvalue
"

Those commands don't work like that.

Normally we don't say "inkey$()=string$" because the "inkey$()" command gets input from the keyboard... we don't want to force "inkey$()" to equal any string (it probably isn't even possible to do it like that)... we want a string to equal "inkey$()" like "a$=inkey$()".

The keystate number is not at the end but in the parentheses. "keystate(scancode)"... which returns either a zero if it's not being pressed or a 1 if it is.

And you really need links to each next tutorial instead of "End of Lesson"... without a link you force everybody to hit the back button then click on the next lesson.

Other than those problems it's ok.

Jinxy
Years of Service
User Offline
CN, if you want to use a free webserver, then I would suggest trying [href]dhost.info[/href]. It is a free service that gives you 100 meg of webspace and a database if you want to run forums. And best of all, *no* pop-ups.
bbgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
[quote]

aflobby

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 17:41:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 17:41:51