Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Need Help with 3dsmax 8

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 00:52
Alright, I'm trying to texture my weapon in 3ds max 8, here is my problem:

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=933332&postcount=5
^ Go there.

Who ever helps me get this working will get a free gun (in ms3d format, not animated) model with textures needed (not one from the WWII media pack).

My xfire is doughboyxwg
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 19:15
Bump
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 21:00
from the pictures, it looks like 3ds max isnt exporting the uvs, or milkshape isnt importing them.

either way it looks like milkshape is making a new one for the gun with plane mapping.

like i sadi, its either your max exporter, or your milkshape importer. open it in anothe program or model veiwer to find the problem.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 05:46 Edited at: 15th Feb 2006 06:08
Oh I know what's going on here..

When you use render to texture, max creates a so-called "shell" material by default. You have to apply the new shell material to your model using your newly rendered texture, then apply yet another UVW Unwrap modifier on top of your modifier stack to "bake in" the UV's. Open the UVW editor, choose "flatten mapping" and use the same threshold and spacing settings that you used in the render to texture dialog, this is important, or your UV's will be wrong. Now when I did this some time ago, I was using max6, assuming nothing has changed with version 8, this should still work.

SIDE NOTE:
I remember having a similar problem when I used render-to-texture to manually create lightmaps for a Macromedia Director based project, this was over a year ago, and I remember pulling my hair out over this...

We're really pampered when it comes to lightmaps in FPSC, it does the hard work for you!! (On the other hand, I'd still like to be able to paint my own lightmap...)

Now the big question is, why are you using render-to-texture at all? Unless you are trying to bake in specularity or shadows, it would be a lot easier if you just put everything on a single texture first, then apply it using Unwrap UVW...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 06:10
Well, I just have no idea what I'm doing... considering giving up

Something step by step, in "1) stuff... 2) more stuff" format would really help... as simple as possible.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 07:20 Edited at: 17th Feb 2006 07:43
Did my suggestion above work? I know for a fact this is why your UV map isn't lining up. Here is an alternate and hopefully easier approach that saves the UV's to a file, so you won't have to remember your threshold and spacing settings from the render-to-texture dialog.

And here a a few more VERY important things to remember:

1. Render-to-texture uses mapping channel 3 by default. You'll need to change this back to channel 1. The reason it does this is so you won't lose your original UV coordinates in case you ever need to go back and adjust stuff on the original mapping.

2. You will need to open the Unwrap UVW modifier that is automatically applied after using render to texture. Then click on "file, save UV's" and save the mapping coordinates to a file.

3. Apply another Unwrap UVW modifier, MAKE SURE YOU'RE USING MAPPING CHANNEL 1, then open the modifier, and load in the UV file that you saved in step 2.

4. Viola! Your UV's will now export correctly.

There really is no step by step apporach when it comes to texturing, every model needs a different approach. Check max's help file and tutorials for more info, there's some good stuff in there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:29:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:29:51