Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Creating Own Game's Engine?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 16:40
I've had DBP for a couple of weeks now, and I think I am getting thr hang of it. I would like to create a simple FPS Game, with my Own Models, however I have heard that when creating games such as this, people normally create their own engines using DBP to create the game. Is this a hard task?

Would it be easier to create the game just using the normal scripting? As one file, instead of creating an engine to base it off?

I may have this all wrong So I would be pleased if someone could straighten things up for me. Thanks.
Ub3R M4N
Years of Service
User Offline
well i dont have DBPro and im not even a programmer so take this if you want...

My Answer is

Making an engine is good if u plan on:
1-Using it to make other games or sequels
2-Making the game modable like what Epic did with Unreal

If u dont plan on doing any of those, it will be less time consuming to make your game right from the get and go

Hope i helped, good luck
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 02:21
code manangment will be much easier on a larger project if you broke down the different parts (movement, shooting, ect..) into seperate source files

side note: should you decide to reuse parts of your code in other projects it will be much much easier to include that particular source than having to try and copy and paste...

which ever way you decide, good luck....
driftman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 12:17
Ub3r and Heckno have a good point, if you ever plan on making another game like this, or another game that would use any of the subs or function in this one, it would be wise to break it up into several different files, and make an engine from it, trust me, I'm learning the hard way...

I have a lil' white jacket that lets me hug myself forever.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 15:26:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 15:26:50