Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Scud Stopper - my retro game entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 08:33
Hello all.

I'm making a 3D Missile Command type game for my retro entry. I don't really have the models or textures done but the basic idea and gameplay are there.

Please check it out at http://www.shinybrain.com/games/ and let me know how it works for you. I had someone report a roaming cursor which I hope is fixed... poopie bugs. This is my first real program so I'm still learning the ropes.

Arrow keys move the camera, very important to triangulate the missiles directions.

Cursor movement along x/z plane is with the regular mouse movement.

Going up/down along the y plane is with the right mouse button held down and moving up/down.

Fire bullets with left mouse button.

"N" will bring you to the next board (just resets it now)

"Q" quits to the screen

"M" will toggle that music loop you'll get sick of after 30 seconds.

Let me see if I can get a screenie to work:
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 08:36
That was easy, here's another screenie:

Gunloader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 22:31
Cool game, I loved Missile Command (I don't know what the original game was called... I know many clones).

I have to play this a bit more, I can't even hit one rocket

+++Cpp+RealBasic+VisualBasic+QBasic+ABasic+REXX+JAVA+PHP+MySQL+Assembler+DarkBasic+GameMakerPro+++<>P4 2,53GHZ<>512MB RAM<>RADEON 9700 TX<>
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 01:25
I loved the original, didn't try my first Slush Puppy for a whole 5 days out because I was in the shop next door pumping 10p's into this.

This could be really great but it lacks playability. It's not the end of the world though as I think the solution is as simple as adding a 2D mouse.

It's lickely such a change will make it much easier to hit the missiles so you'll need to increase the speed of the gameplay too - but the original appeared much faster anyway and the biggest gripe I have with remakes is when the game plays worse than the original.

The new graphics should be possible because of new technology, not by sacrificing gameplay.

So how to put a 2D mouse in? You are half way there in that you have an object for the mouse. Given the choice i'd rather hide the object and position the actual mouse pointer where the object is - although I don't know if that will interfere with the mouse detection routine, if it does you could use a sprite instead.

Then adjust the objects movement not by detecting the mouses movement, but by following where the mouse has moved to during the last phase of the programs execution, this was in a recent thread, but you'll need to adapt it because you are moving on the x/z axis.

You'll need to play with sensitivity etc, I just typed that strait into this message box without trying it - but should explain the idea anyway - I don't know how well it would work, i'm just saying what I would try to do.

Good luck anyway.

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:59:50
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:59:50