Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / a quick puzzling question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 21:07 Edited at: 19th Feb 2006 21:13
ok heres a question regarding licencing

if i were to convert the media assetts of novalogics delta force blackhawk down including characters models and vehicles driveable
weapons and weapon arms?
would it be considered piracy if i made the pack available

i mean the bhd modding community have access to all of this media on a daily basis?

all i would be doing is creating a exsisting mod pack for fun games to show the power of fpsc right

or is there a hidden licence agreement somewhere the precludes me from doing this

i mean it was done with the half life 2 zombie but is there a licence agreement somewhere that stops me using all the media of a game instead of just 1 model?

as i would not sell this i would just be considered a fun way to pass the time

and show what is possible with fpsc

or alternatively could i create a full game with this media and give it away for free

mmmmmmmm
ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 21:36
here is the agreement for the max payne model pack
The textures in this file are property of Remedy Entertainment Ltd., and can be used only as long as the
work is recognized as original artwork by Remedy, and no financial profit is made in the process.

(C)1998-2001 Remedy Entertainment Ltd.
so i say u can do what u want with em aslong has your not making any profit from it..Most game companys normaly release there media..

Never eat yellow snow
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
mmmmm intresting so in theory i could take all the assetts of 1 game say bhd or joint operations and make them fpsc ready and let you guys have the model pack

mmmmm intresting ill keep you guys informed to see if this is possible
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 03:27
Quote: "The textures in this file are property of Remedy Entertainment Ltd., and can be used only as long as the
work is recognized as original artwork by Remedy
.."

Could be interpreted in many ways. We could argue this until we all turn blue, but it can only be answered by Remedy themselves. Ask them.

It is not just about money, so it does not matter if its non-commercial use. Since some form of recognition is required, its also about where and how there name and branding is used, along with their assets.

General rule for modding, is that the material is used with the original game.

The only ones with the answers are the original copyrights holders. Ask them to be safe.

!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 05:20
Also check for any re-distribution clauses. As Joh said, those mods are still used within the core game. Be careful with things like this, as some companies can be a bit touchy. I don't see much problem doing what your'e talking about for the community as a non-commercial donation. Safest thing is to try to get ahold of the company themselves (Nova Logic, right?), as Joh also suggested .

-Keith

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 08:14
You can't use the media from Freedom Force in other engines, so I'd be careful.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 09:29
KeithC and transient just reminded me. Yeah re-distribution clauses. Game developers also use licensed libraries, often prohibiting them from re-distribution outside of the game or requiring a different license for modding. Also some of these licenses specify that the developer has to ensure that the assets are not easly accessable. Which is also why they may not allow you to use them.

FreedomForce. Didnt they recently, finally settle the dispute with Marvel? or was that someone else?

!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:26:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:26:15