Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Online Speed-Up Idear

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 15:29 Edited at: 15th Mar 2006 15:22
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I was wondering, when dealing with online, if it would be faster to send all Dynamic Object's positions once in the beginning, rotations forever, and then what speed the object is moving at. This, as apposed to sending the object x, y and z positions every loop would in my mind speed things up hugely when you begin dealing with hundreds of objects; a simple check for if the object's movement speed is greater than or less than 0, then moving the object at that speed if true.

Im asking because I was also wondering if anyone knows if this would affect the trueness of object positions, would using this method make everyones game look a little different (I.E On my system my friend would be 3 units to the right but on another system they'd be 4, because of lag differences)?

Basically has anyone done this before and if so what were the outcomes, worse or better than sending x, y, z rotations AND positions?

- RUC'

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 11:37
It would indeed save a lot of bandwidth when dealing with loads of objects, as each object requires 12 bytes for just position data. Of course it's worth noting that missed packets would cause problems(although you don't have to worry about this if using TCP/IP).

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 17:30:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 17:30:48