Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Distribution & Printer question (DBPro)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's my problem -
A friend works for a small company and they're getting tired of doing schedules by hand and would rather have a computer program to write it out for them. And I'm the only program anyone there knows of, so I was asked to try and write a schedule program, which I said I'd give it a try.
So I'm trying to decide whether to write this crazy beast in DBPro or Visual Basic. Visual Basic appeals to me because it's so easy to design a decent interface with that thing and considering I'm planning on going into the programming industry it would be very nice to say I published as many programs under VB/C++ as I can, and DBPro appeals to me because I know how to do pretty much everything the program requires except for printer functions and even though this is a freebie job I still don't want to make anyone wait. Therefor I have decided it will depend on the answer to these questions -

1) If no 3-D graphics are used and no sound is played, just basic 2D drawing and text for the display, is Direct X still required? Also, are the OS requirements still Windows 98/ME/2000/XP as they are for DBPro itself? I'm not sure what kind of ancient machine this program may ultimately be running on, but I have a feeling it may be fairly dated.

2) Is it possible to access and use the printer through DBPro? If so, how do I use it? I'd like it very much if the user didn't have to open another program like Word or Notepad just to print the crazy schedule out.
SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 18:46
Sending to a printer with DB Pro would require a .dll

if it's for use in a company (regardless of size) Visual basic would probably be a better choice. Not as customisable as Dark Basic, but far less room for confusion if your program looks like a standard commercial. Also saves coding for buttons, much easier in VB than DB.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 17:34:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 17:34:21