Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / How do you create Hills and Invisible Barriers.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 00:17
Hi everyone my game is open fielded and needs some hills for extra realism. And i also need to know how to create and invisible barrier so that you cant just walk off the edge of the map.

Current Games in Progress:
Bac To WW2
Doctor Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 08:46
Uhhhhhhhh... I have absolutley no idea.

Sledge Hammer's pick-up lines: Your ammo dump or mine? /I feel connected to you... by handcuffs. /Where have you been all my life? Incarcerated? /How about some fine wine and pork chops?
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm making some free hills for the community. I would also like to know how to make invisible barriers. You can set the collision on your segments to be like you can't climb them at all. I can't remember how though.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 13:00
Wouldn't you just make a wall segment like usual, then color the entire thing black so it will show up as see through in the game?

-Keith

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 13:06 Edited at: 26th Feb 2006 13:06
I think adding a transparient wall would do the trick and you could even do a fake height map by using page up and page down keys.

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Blackburn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 22:04
Let me know when the hill pack is comming is it free or priced? And also will there be a grass and snow hill segment?

Current Games in Progress:
Bac To WW2
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 23:55
You can indeed make your own wall segment and make it invisible. I use them to enclose a world.

You can also use invisible static wall entities but they have to be placed individually.

The result end is the same though the segment method is far superior in as much as you can paint a perimiter invisible boundary wall in extremely quickly just as with any other wall segment.

Terrains - well I personally use .x file model terrain entities - though there are various methods spoken of in some detail in the forum threads if you do a search.

Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 01:12
Sinistar when do you think you can have those hills ready? I could use them for my game...

Games... silly games...
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Well there are 2 different kinds. One is just a terrain kind of entity like you may have seen before but it works really well. The other is a set of inclined segments which go at 45 degrees and have corners similar to the roof segments in the WW2 pack but with rocky terrain and without the eves.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 07:17 Edited at: 1st Mar 2006 07:19
Quote: "The other is a set of inclined segments which go at 45 degrees and have corners similar to the roof segments in the WW2 pack but with rocky terrain and without the eves. "

I wanted to retexture the roof segments with grass.
That was way back when everyone said hills were impossible.
That's the idea I had, but I never got around to it.

As for the invisible wall, yeah just texture it black, but it has to be true black. (RGB 0,0,0)

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Right I did the same thing, but they have these eves at the bottom that don't line up with the ground. Also I needed to make an inside corner for like the corners of a depression.
Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 21:19
I`m making a hill creation program. It is still an idea that needs to be realised so i cant guarantee its existance untill i make at least 30% of it, so that i can know if i`ll bump into something that i cant create or something like that.

It will cost $6, but i will most probably have an lite version (free version with exporting option ENABLED, but with less futures, and still you will have no royalitys with whatever you make with lite version, only less futures, thats all)

So, you will probably be able to create hills with that, if you are willin' to wait for a while..

I think that hill creator is something higly wanted here, especially becouse it writes all scripts and everything to get it working in fpsc...

Hugzmeister Games
Years of Service
User Offline
pfft i had the same problem but paying any money for them is a rip off cos get Teragen and its really easy. Feel ashamed that u trying to con ppl into getting stuff which they could make easily if you told them what free peogram to get. yeah so like i said get teragen and then just use the grass texture and your away.

''
__
Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 13:55
Teragen gives high polygons terrains, witch are not too good for allready slow-working games in fpsc.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 17:36 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2006 22:27
You should also know that anything you make in Terragen cannot be sold commercially, without paying for the full version of Terragen. You should have mentioned that as well, HugsM, before sending people over there. Here is the Registration page of Terragen. The price for the full version is $99, and they are going to version 2 soon.

I agree with Dodic; terrains are way too high poly to be used in FPSC, unless you are using them as a Skybox (and the non-commercial use still applies).

-Keith

Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 19:54
Ok, i decided to make my terrain application freeware ,

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 11:51
ok i managed to get hills and mountains in to the game. I use 3d world studio. you do have to do some scaling to get them in but that is the easy part. I have attached a screenshotr of some in the test game.

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:27:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:27:48