Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm New to darkbasic, In fact I might not even get it. Its my bday next week, so I might want to get it then....

But first, I have some q's:

Can you create a SELLABLE game in darkbasic?

I downloaded ICED, (was TRULY awesome ) how many weeks of programming would that take on advrage?

And does that logo come up every time when you play a darkbasic game?

Thank you!

Dan, aged 13

ps. I also code in div... good for 2d, but baaaad at 3d!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 20:24
Iced was awesome? Wow.. some people are easily pleased

Yes you can create a sellable game in DarkBASIC - several have. You'll find one of them on the PC Zone magazine cover DVD this month.

No the logo doesn't come up every time if you buy the full version (i.e. not DarkBASIC Lite).

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Deadmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
REALLY? YAY!

Thank you for the info!

How is DB pro diffrent from DB?

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
DB Pro gets rid of some commands and uses BSP, and a few other things. If you are programming with DB Lite - stick with DarkBasic Classic and not Pro. The change is very vast, and I'm still having troubles converting.

~Morph
Owner of MultiCode.NET and Multi2k.NET.
Nothing is something, and something is then nothing. Life is an illusion.
Deadmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
ok... Ill get DB instead are they both in windows?

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, but DBPro looks more like a Windows application.

~Morph
Owner of MultiCode.NET and Multi2k.NET.
Nothing is something, and something is then nothing. Life is an illusion.
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 21:38
Iced would take about two or three days of coding to make, possibly some more time to make the media. DB is really quick to program in.

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.
Deadmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
great! I've asked my mum to get it 4 me, so i will be getting it. I the 3d all made in polygons?

Chiwawa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 22:10
by ..."div" do you mean DHTML? or....whats that "DIV"..
KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
Div, I have that too.
Div Games Studio. Made by fast Track.
It doesn't do 3d at all I don't think, although it does appear to sometimes.

KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
EDIT : "It doesn't do 3d at all I think, although it does appear to sometimes."

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 23:50
i think you mean mode 7, wich is fake 3d.

Sweet
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 00:24
I think all the 3D is polygons, the built in 3D anyway. As far as I am aware there are no raytracing or Mode 7 commands, but these can be implemented yourself.

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.
Superbeest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 00:50
I'd definitly go for DBPro, for the IDE is way easier to use and you have much much more functions at your disposal. And easy to learn as well. And with P4 coming out soon, I think heaven is opening his doors.
I also have Div, and I must say it is a nice language but way to limited. DarkBasicPro can do the same as Div and much more. I have both DBc and DBPro and I definitly choose pro over classic and not only for the speed.

Magister Mundi sum!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 05:32
If your begginging, it doesnt really matter. DB classic may be better to start with, but Pro would just start you off with the better (possibly harder) program. But if its already ordered there is no need to worry about it.

One of my fav. demos ever from DB was the Equilibrium demo(s) and they were made way before DB pro, so I think classic is good enough to start with

Good luck learning DB, it really isnt hard at all. Im only 14, and Ive been using DB for about 3/4 a year, and I understand it quite well.

Contact me on the instant messengers below my post (msn is TheBedroomProgrammer@hotmail.com the button doesnt work lol) if you need help. I already have loads of people ask me stuff every day, its no biggy

Good luck!
RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 08:42
I really think you should get DBPro, when you put them side by side DBPro is a lot better. Classic may be easier and better to learn with but after a while of using it then you'll want to get Pro anyway. So why not just start off with Pro?

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Superbeest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 09:14
I agree. I got classic first and I bought pro just because i wanted more, and I must say it was worth every little cent. And I don't think it is thát much harder to learn.
Ofcourse, I don't know every command yet, but I understand the syntax and if I need a function I ask it here (nobody answered my matrix normal post yet) or I just figure it out by myself, so I don't think you should look at the learning process, but at what you can do with it. At the moment I'm 16 and I'm now learning c++. Is also a nice language. Not to hard to learn, but before you get something really nice done on the screen (and that is what we all want ins't it) you a few 100(0) lines later. DBC could do that in just a few lines, and I think DBPro can do that even more efficient, and I also think Pro looks a bit better. So I'd go for 100% for pro, and like exeat said, you just want to get pro later anyway.

Magister Mundi sum!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 22:59:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 22:59:51