Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / has anyone actually finished a game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
am afraid am not starting to take these forums seriously

it appears to me that there are 3 groups in this forum

there is the first group

the ones who use custom media in there game like myself who have come to a total standstill in there projects as they wait patiently for the fpsc update to be able to finish there game

the second group

the ones who post a load of crap either a story line that means nothing create a few fpms using stock media then claim to be the next microsoft or sony

the third group

the ones who have actually finished a game current members who i know of are

conjured entertainment

although the game isnt exactly what you call top commercial quality it is yet a fantastic effort and the best 1 i have seen yet

so the question i would like to ask is who ever has finished a game not using stock media please place a download link below

thanks

peace out
NIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 23:33
Download my demo.
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
did i miss spell something dident i say game not demo?

nik your work is outstanding but you use a lot of stock media

this is a thread to show games who use custom media
jacko101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 23:38
I think there are people in between though, like me I guess.

I can't create custom models, although I may find / buy models in the future, but I'm doing this for fun and just to see what I can do. As is allowed I share my demo's etc... with the forum as that's what the showcase is for.

I do know what you mean about the second group though, it's amazing how many people have bought a domain (topgames.com or whatever) and claim to be a developer. 9 times out of 10 the web site is rubbish and they have some 'ideas' they want to sell! Selling ideas isn't too bad, but most of them are just rubbish one liner ideas? Whats all that about!

Anyway, try my demo and see what you think, it's small, basic and only used a little non-fpsc media, but I enjoyed making it and to me, that's what it's all about!

NIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 23:44
Have you downloaded my demo, because if you did you would know that I have alot of custom media as well.
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
can you guys please post download links if your using custom media
jacko101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 01:17
Who's Mr Cranky tonight? (Or today)

I was just adding to your comments.
NIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 01:17
FEAR in the distance - features nazi soldiers talking in german, almost every sound effect has been changed for the better, many custom segments, a couple new entities, new music, and alot of stuff I can't remember.(but it's all good stuff)
http://files.filefront.com/FEAR_in_the_distance_demozip/;4813064;;/fileinfo.html
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry for the crankyness since starting off as A Early adopter all i have seen coming from these forums regarding games is poor

i apologise for my crankyness its refreshing to see some custom stuff at last
jacko101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 01:24
I was only kidding, it's nice to know you care about this stuff!

It does annoy me when people have bought FPSC for £30 and expect it to rival the doom3 (or whatever) engine. Especially when you know it's some kid who has set up a web site as a 'company' when all they have is screen shots from FPSC media etc....

God, you've made me cranky now..............

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 01:30
crow34, want to see new stuff? head on over to the media forum, look at my post, future pack: tools. You will see my new image ive just posted. Now i wont post any thing else here, because you want it to be full games only.
Wyatt Earp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 02:47
The only media I am using that is not custom is the free Swat dude floating around and the guns.

I guess I fit into the first group, but I am sure there are others who are using stock FPSC files and still waiting for the patch to do anything more than play around.
SarusX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 03:16
First group for me. Framrates kill me every time... Just keep making the maps, hoping for bug fixes soon...

Because no n00b is a good n00b.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 08:33
I hate people who stereotype...

..but i guess i'm group one, except i'm still making mine but since team requests aren't allowed i'm having to do all of "the great 13" jobs myself starting with concept art.

AE

Origin says i'm l33t

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 19:00 Edited at: 28th Feb 2006 19:10
crow34,

You know very well as you have used and are well versed enough in the use of FPSC to know - that if you are looking for to see better games "full games" in the real sense of the word than those currently available or made by users then its still to soon to expect to see any of those.

Personally as you know I use a lot of non default media and I have spent more time lately working with adding, creating, inventing, ammending and testing new updated, functions, features, scripts and similar gameplay stuff than time I have spent on actually developing levels in the true sense of the meaning in construction of level work. If you want original, good looking advanced games then all of these and many other things need doing and its very time consuming trying to do all this and make games with FPSC that are a step up from what the product by default gives the user to work with.

FPSC is also very difficult to work with and has some issues which make achieving those better games you seek very difficult to realise, but you know that. I realise you are just asking in case anyones hiding something or working away and not telling, maybe mot even a poster here.

I am sure there are users working on improving their games output and any future update or updates will see an improvement in development of games with FPSC but its all time dependant.

How you doin anyway? since last time we spoke?

Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 19:40
well my game, The Story of Emily Rose,, is in creation right now. and that is having alot of custom media, and in game cutscenes from the actual movie too, but this wont be a game that i will sell, its free. and when the game is finished i will let everyone know.

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI RADEON™ 9550 256MB DDR(<<soon ), 80GB Hard Drive
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "How you doin anyway? since last time we spoke?
"

not bad unman am still soldiering on with the dreams of 1 day creating a game with this bloody engine

the most frustrating thing about fpsc commercial quality is the shear amount of models required to populate a level

i mean take a game like half life 2 all be it the maps are large the model entitys in the game seem to be at a minimum and rooms have things like overhangs built in stairs anglerlar walls

radiators for god sakes

it just seems to me the mapping in fpsc is wrong because all you ever get is square rooms and to make them look a commercial quality

you got to stick as many models as possible in to them

a mean am not bad at modelling but if you dont put as many models as you can in them the game play suffers and the rooms begin to look repetative

i mean i hate coding it sucks but am at the point now that if tgc allowed users to design there own map editors i would jump at the chance of coding one

i ve been checking out other engines for a while now and the most frustrating thing is fpsc is the only engine with the things i desire

i am just waiting for the fpsc patch in hopes that it will allow multiple textures on models or at least cartography shop support

i am going to be having a 6mth break soon in the hopes to crack on with the whole fpsc thing and finally finish the game

the whole point is i wont be satisfied looking at stock media maps the noobs are posting

or other things in fpsc until i finally have a commercial quality game

any way that my rant over with peace out uman take care dude

Attachments

Login to view attachments
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 20:34
crow34,

Your comparison of screen shots between the HL2 shot and your own is a little unfair as you dont have the same kind of lghting in your shot. That particular HL2 view would certainly be achievable in FPSC as far as I can see as the main diff is the quality of textures which I am sure you could improve in the case of your own but of course I get your point.

The tile based square system of FPSC makes it a little more difficult to achieve a more flexible level design including curved surfaces and alike but it can be done - if you can think of it or design it you can do it in FPSC with enough effort and thats the main prob - a lot of effort is required. Curved or other details can be made with custom segments or entities and I see no reason for any limits - I have no limits myself thus far other than my own skills. (till I crack the prob - excludes the serious lagg issue specific to lifts indoors with me which does not make gameplay unuseable even in that case)

If you have probs with Polys - you can load stuff on the fly which is what I am doing now.

Youll get there.

crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 20:34 Edited at: 28th Feb 2006 20:36
i can also tell you one thing

as soon as a near decent game of commercial quality comes out

i can imagine tgc will jump all over it and use it to promote fpsc to the masses this is the impression i get from my emails to mike johnson and lee bamber

there is a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow you just got to put some serious hard graft in to it

and they wont settle for the same generic stock media games that this forum is currently getting flooded with
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:05
I use all stock media at this point. and yes I am going to release a game usiing "stock mdeia". I think that a great looking game can be created with stock media. all the tools are there for you. Though what seperates the developers from the "hey, I have a new game" and you look and all they have is poor lightmaps bad entitiy placement and no real point to game progression. is tha ability to tweak what is given to you. I have been using V1 since december 28th, and have learned a great deal about FPSC, and have just completed my first how to use thread on physics and dynamic/static entities. it is a worth while thread it has a lot of information that will help with fps and general functionality. and I plan on completing an lightmap thread. As for custom media well I have no idea where to start I have done some entities, mostly paintings and skalex created me a rug from a pic I gave him. As far as segments I 'm about as clueless as a illiterate kid reading a chinese news paper. And every tutorial in these forums are a bit broken (confusing) well anyway don't knock the stock media users instead try to seperate the good from the bad and give credit where credit is due.

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:21 Edited at: 28th Feb 2006 21:21
You forgot the fourth group... the people who create lvls/maps with extrodinary patience and actually try to make a good game. (Using standard media)
Gamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:35 Edited at: 28th Feb 2006 21:54
EDIT: Nevermind

/.,.\-Meh? Everyone loves fat penguins!
((_ _)) Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:59
Merranvo,

Quite - a very important group of users.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 22:05
I think I fall in to that group (I hope I do)

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Nathe
Years of Service
User Offline
How do u actually add custom media ie: what programs, websites is it easy etc

Thanks nathe
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 03:26
Uman... Indeeed. I am NOT a modeler, I may be able to arrange the primitives in such a fasion that it looks like something, but it is not my passion, and what it looks like is only appearnt to me... :p

I have spent long times on maps before... and they do turn out much better then many of the thrown together versions around here. I still have poly leaks, and I still haven't entirely figured out where they come from.

Yet UNLIKE many of the maps here, I have spent time moving lights, time rearanging things, time making scripts to agument my lvls. And Time. I even, after getting so put up with the segments availiable, rearange the segments, some times, still with standard media. Yeah, I do use other model packs, but that is non-custom media. But you see the difference.

I remeber a good example of a FPS'r who had potential. I can not remeber his name, but I remeber his game, I remeber some things he said while I post replyed. Light mapping simplistic, yet nice. FPS working... good stuff! (except the game had no real end) [I shot a door up trying to get though].

Now, I also remeber people who have made a single room, multi photographed it, then posted a showcase.

Still standard media, but it would be a shame to keep them together.

Gamz, please don't never mind, nvm after what has been said is seen, but don't nvm before. Or if you are going to nvm, just apologise in the same post.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 05:56 Edited at: 1st Mar 2006 05:58
Merranvo,

When you say you have poly leaks why should that be so and what is the result?

If you have leaks that cause widespread drops in fps even if its not through the entirity of levels but in certain areas. (Discounting the serious lagg issue) I had the same problem earler on in level building which I put down to leaks. I found that adding objects of any kind in one part of the level made fps drop off in other areas. This I assumed was caused through leaks that so that FPSC could see or count the polygons from far away due to its abilities to see around corners and through walls - effectively tracing or following via routes where cracks exist.

To overcome this I carefully looked at every part of the level and made assumptions based on dubious segment objects such as ducts curved surfaces and corridors and wherever or whenever I even suspected that any leak could even be possible I took the step of further enclosing those areas completely within another outer boundary of sealed room segments all around. Despite this being an addition of many more segments and in theory many more polys my fps climbed and it was the first step I took on the optimisation route.

It seemed to have worked as I have not dropped frame rates since despite adding a vastly increased number of objects.

Now if only I could find out how I can fix my lift slowdown problem. They dont seem to leak into anywhere and I have already enclosed them in an outer skin of segments. Damn. Must be that platform entity is my guess so it will have to have some serious damage done to it or it will have to go.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 07:51 Edited at: 1st Mar 2006 08:00
Quote: "the third group

the ones who have actually finished a game current members who i know of are

conjured entertainment

although the game isnt exactly what you call top commercial quality it is yet a fantastic effort and the best 1 i have seen yet
"

Thanks!
I thought I was special when Orgin called me L33t.
Now I've got my own group!
Woohoo!

Quote: "the whole point is i wont be satisfied looking at stock media maps the noobs are posting "

I like the stock media supplied with FPSC.
We (the modelling challenged) are fortunate that they included them.

Quote: "That particular HL2 view would certainly be achievable in FPSC as far as I can see "

Yeah, that looks doable to me too!

Quote: "as soon as a near decent game of commercial quality comes out

i can imagine tgc will jump all over it and use it to promote fpsc to the masses this is the impression i get from my emails to mike johnson and lee bamber

there is a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow you just got to put some serious hard graft in to it

and they wont settle for the same generic stock media games that this forum is currently getting flooded with "

That's not what I gather from TGC.
I think they want to Showcase a game that has ALL FPSC Stock Media.
Remember the physics level contest they were going to have?
It required that you only use the FPSC Models and Media.
The contraversy that rule created was probably the reason for the demise of the contest.

Anyway,
Thanks for the kind words.
I wanted to use all stock media for my new game, but there are effects that will require custom huds & models.
I'm making the first level (the demo) all FPSC media.
I hope my new sci-fi game will be Showcased in next Months NewsLetter. ( If I can get it finished in time.)

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm in the first group, although I also have a lot of stock media.
This is because I cannot model, I have enough custom media (not made by me) to keep it unique though.
But whats wrong with stock it looks quite good anyway.

Visit http://www.natsam.co.uk to find out about my games.
[href][/href]
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 19:03
I pride myself on the proper use of the stock media. if you do it right it's still bada$$!

-- Winston Churchill
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 05:39
ya, a lot of us take it for granted because we all have it. but if you think about it, even if FPSC didnt come with the program, i would still have bought it, because it still would be an EXELENT model and texture pack for 50$, dont you think so?

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 06:10
My poly leaks are undoubtly caused by some of the large open areas I have, yet I know I shouldn't have as many polys as it trys to render. The windows I have upfront face OUT of the level so they shouldn't render anything. Yet I still get high amounts of lag here and there (Mainly uptop) now, I have a more cut up room downstairs, but similar sized. Even then, I should get lag around what I got upstairs no? Well... FPS is much better down there.

Those are polyleaks, areas which high amounts of polys are randomly rendered due to some pointless aspect of FPSC.

Crow... I just realised what you said... Have you read all these showcases? I am pretty sure that there are more people then CE who have finished games. And then you have Lon, who has shown work with horry gorry. I need to go back, but I know that there are atleast demo levels. And some demos that are pretty good.

Merranvo Nunticaelitusphobic (Scared of Internet)
Noob Justice League, Cause We Have More Fun
Support Merra XJ9, cause the name is cooler.
Snidog
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea i use stock media it looks fine and that HL2 and yours looks just as good as HL2 just dont be disapointed in what you have done because if you think you are 1 man making 1 game sierra have 50 men and 1 game look at the odds and they have quallifactions in graphics designs what have most of us got in grpahics just a little knolage well stock media is great to use and you can use it in an original ways so it looks just as good at custom

We now have a site just for FPS creator so you can talk about your games visit us and talk at www.fpstalk.co.uk.tc
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 14:06
Do full stops and commers mean any thing to you Snidog. I would have fell over dead if I never breathed through that.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 15:19
Merranvo,

Ah! by leaks you are referring to the serious lagg issue then - as related to specific generally specific small areas and not overall general low fps in certain areas which can be larger and be part of genearlly low fps in a whole level.

These are far as I can see are unrelated to some extent other than the fact of course that the more you have in a level and the more you can see at one time in view the more difficult it is to keep fps high - the general principles of game design as it were. It follows that in areas outdoors where you may have more to view - then its even more difficult to maintain high fps. Without clipping methods of some kind in addition to other available methods of reducing polys to view incorporated then its very difficult to overcome this.

Of course we know that FPSC has little in built ability to do anything to help in this situation as it apparently sees what it should not in calculating polys and in any case has some additional strange behaviours due to errors or at least poor handling of the scene including leak type returns of ploy counts, sometimes seemingly not related to the area the player is in or the view to hand. i.e. as debated FPSC can apparently pay regard to things at any location not in proximity to the player but perhaps any world object(s) or number of them at any location in a level - even from one end to another.

Additionally Dynamic enities and AI think time are an overly serious burden on the engine and fps and it is these I believe - and it has been suggested by Lee I believe, that such - particularly enemies are are possibly the cause of the serious lagg issue. Of course this in any case if it is indeed the case would be just added to the accumilative effect of all the other burdens of inaccurate poly counts. The Physics on dynamic entities adds also to this burden.

You will find that as levels become more complex and these burdens become greater - the engine slows down where these dynamic entities are concened and this seriopusly affects the area around them - or more precisly other entities including the player due to the slowdown in fps in those areas of proximity to them - resulting in the lagg issue.

This I have found recently regarding a report I made concerning lifts where I had serious lagg - cutting fps to half in a level where everywhere else fps was 32 when the player stood on the two platforms of two lifts fps went to 15 and the lift movement was seriously impeeded.

In the case of these lift platforms I can say that increasing their speed from 100 to 500 overcomes the problem of the lift movement and from that point of view overcomes the lagg very effectively - however that cant be effectively done with the player - so when the lift platform gets to the destination and the player encounters a door to get out (which adds to the lagg burden as its an AI object) he still find a momentary lagg whilst he tries to move forward through the door. This lift prob therefore has been eliminated bar the player response to movement.

Effectively what I am saying is that FPSC has a fps limit as and when you build and as the burden on the engine becomes greater - fps drops off and lagg can creep in. The reasons are because all dynamic entities respond to the increased burden - sometimes very badly because many of their attributes such as speed - physics weight, friction and so on as set by default have no way of self adjustment to compensate for the slowdown. Adjusting these settings may at least eleviate some of the slow responses to the environment shown by dynamic entities in their behaviour.

Unfortunately unless by knock on effect, we have no way of speeding up what matters and that is AI think time (the maths) or compensating for the engines inability to handle clipping and poly counts - the best I at least can hope for on that currently is load and unload stuff on the fly which is what I am doing increasingly.

At best we can have an influence - the only real answer to better fps, clipping and lagg problems is that the engine be improved by TGC.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 18:16
Not really a game but...

This is a level i built for n00bs and non-FPSC users to get the hang of the controls, all built with stock media (except to Voice-over sounds).

Check it out and please, by all means, post you comments here
AE

Origin says i'm l33t

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 20:41
CONCLUSION OF THIS ALL:

if you start a project,FINISH IT!

[href]www.freewebs.com/edromeproductions[/href]
look there for all my model packs latest updtes and other stuff!
(its not old yet)
Psycho Warrior
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 21:13 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2006 21:14
Agreed. There should be less demo levels and more actual games. 90% of the games here are demo versions only. Myself, i have finished two games, and i'm soon finishing an another one, but i've got no place to host them, and i'd rather burn them on cd's/dvds and pass to my friends.

"ME SMASH YOU DOWN!"
Gamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 23:02
Erm...but why is this in the showcase?

/.,.\-Meh? Everyone loves fat penguins!
((_ _)) Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 23:26 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2006 23:29
Quote: "Erm...but why is this in the showcase?"

erm to inform people in showcase that posting a demo that never makes it to a full game is just pointless

we want to see full games finished projects

and not just crappy stock media maps

stock media maps are fine if done with a bit of design skill and not just a bunch of entitys thrown in a room

and also if it happens love to see a full game using non stock media

in point if you have project finish it just dont boast about a few screenshots
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "erm to inform people in showcase that posting a demo that never makes it to a full game is just pointless
"

That is very true! People are posting demo's and no finished games! Demo's should be made AFTER the main game is made.After you release the demo touch up on the full game; add a cheat or so and fix bugs (listen to the crits to help improove the main game!)...then you have a very well made game! That is the way i'll make my games when tgc confirm my payment of £37.9 for fpsc and the model pack...

The More You Study The More You Know, The More You know The More You Forget, The More You Forget The Less You Know,
So Why Study?
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2006 21:24
Quote: "Demo's should be made AFTER the main game is made."

I totally agree with you!

-Stavros the Zombie Slayer- Coming Summer 2006
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 21:18
I have made one game ready, but it has only a little amount of custom media...

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
i finished that invasion game, 10 levels, but i never got around to upload it....

kallikúkurerekkicool
Maeko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 05:39
I make tons of little 1 level games, but I just never share them. And I'm planning to burn them on CDs and give them away. They're all sorts of different games, like one game you escape a prison, and another game you try to escape a house, and ANOTHER game you have unlimited bullets for your uzi and respawning enemies appear at your front door of your house.

Almost all of them have at least 3 custom model in it. I made a folder somewhere that has all those levels but I just can't find it.
slow44
Years of Service
User Offline
Here it is a Full Game!!!!

http://depositfiles.com/en/files/6778/RescueRedux1.zip.html

Thanks!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:05:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:05:40