Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / What are you using ?

Author
User Deleted
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 14:48
Due to a nasty texture issue experienced in my version of Cinema 4D ( http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=72771&b=24 ) I am looking for a new 3D program which is guaranteed to export textured models and animation into FPSC.

I have heard many names circling around like Blender, Milkshape and Canvas but what is the definitive package, the most popular ? Let's keep the big wigs ( 3DS Max and Maya ) out of this as i need something cost effective ( damn cheap )

Let the recommendations commence!
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 14:54
I dont know any good software. Iam a 3d max user, but because you want some thing cheap, I cant tell you to try it out. I havent really used any other programs which apply textures and work well in games.

Maybe you could try appling a cube with a crate texture, see if that works out well. It could just be your not uvw unwrapping your models, and appling the texture right.

It could be other things too, like the export pulgin your using. I dont use C4D so I dont know whats wrong.
Essal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 14:56
Hey dude,
Im using Cinema 4D too, and I know the problem, (it cause it doesnt Export the texture as a file right?)
I would like to know too

---->Yeah baby! Yeah!<----
Habatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 15:00
I use and learning Blender. I use this because its free and I dont have money to buy other.
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 15:01
Exactly the things i thought of Higgins, in my origianl post i tried a Cinema Plugin and an external UVMapper program, both turned out the same results in FPSC, both on simple and complicated meshes. However the UV maps work fine in Cinema. It's a strange world
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 15:09
Can you tell me how you exported your models, step by step, and list programs you used to do so. Ill see if any thing is different from my way, and let you know.
Havok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 16:10
I think milkshape does.

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 18:07 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2006 18:08
Righty, here is a step by step of how i get my meshes into FPSC, and how the textures become hideously mutated.

1. First of, i make a simple board mesh, its kind of like a picture with frame but one object.

2. I save the object as an .OBJ file ( Alias i think ) as this format is understood by the UVMapper program ( http://www.uvmapper.com/ ). I generate a simple yet crappy, default box map.

I resave the object as an .OBJ with the new UV data, i export the UV image into Photoshop Elements.

3. I draw a simple target image to show where the front/centre of the mesh is.

I save the image as a BMP.

4. I import the newly created .OBJ and the target texture back into Cinema, all looks well:

The target is in the right place. I make sure the normals are facing outward and I triangulate the mesh. I export in the .X format and convert the .BMP texture into a .TGA using DXTBMP (http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm).

of to the Entity creator.

5. The mesh appears fine in the entity creator, but it is not until i specify the texture that things start to go horribly wrong.

as you can see in the top right corner, the target isn't visible on the mesh, and in the game....

6. It becomes clear how extreme the distortion is

I have tried exporting under so many different settings, even exporting to 3DS and then .X, but nothing seems to work
which is why i need to find something that does. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.[img][/img]
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 4th Mar 2006 11:27
The above issue has been resolved, just make sure your do the final .x export using Milkshape, the work-around is here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=73297&b=24

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, and thank you Havok for suggesting Milkshape, it saved the day.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:25:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:25:45