Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Need some advice...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. Lets start off with this: I dont have a job. Reasons being im only in 8th grade. So money is definately a factor. Now that thats set aside, lets move on.

I made some money. Enough to buy FPSC or DB(not pro).

Now this is where you guys come in...
Which should I buy? I was going to get FPSC so I can sell the games and get some money out of it. Now why cant I do that with DB? Cause I dont have any texturing/modeling/anything else experiance.

Should I get FPSC and wait till I make some money off that and buy DB?

Or should I buy DB and start practicing my programming and getting a grasp on it while I wait for another opportunity to make some money and get some modeling programs? Or are there any free ones I can use?

Thanks ahead of time!

My [url=www.dollarsworth.net]website[/url]
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2006 23:20 Edited at: 5th Mar 2006 23:21
Don't rely on selling games to make money, it won't happen - at least no time soon.

If I were you I'd get a job, any job, and save up for DBPro at least. Then actually learn to code, and build an arsenal of skills and tools (free modelling programs etc etc). Then try and put a simple game together.

best advice: don't put the cart before the horse

FREE Automatic file updates for your distributed Games and Apps - see Program Announcements Forum - DBP Demo
danishmo
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not relying on selling them. I can't get a job cause i'm in school and I cant even take drivers ed yet. Just wondering which one I should buy to start learning. Thats all. The pay is a bonus which will go twords new programs.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2006 23:50
Yeah, like CattleRustler said, don't plan on making money out of your games, all I started with was DBC also, but i just saved up money and got some things for christmas over the years and now, something like 3-4 years later I own CS4, DBC, DBP, Darkmatter 1, 2, and 3, and am about to purchase 3DWS. Find odd jobs around the house, ask your parents if they'll pay you to do stuff, but do DBC if its between FPSC and DBC, it has more potential, so if your serious about making games, get it. But again, don't plan on making any money any time soon .

Pirates of Port Royale:
http://www.popr.gwgaming.net (Temporarily Disabled, We Apologize for the Inconvenience)
Live the life.
danishmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I would love to reply to all this, but last time I posted I was still a new person(even after 1 week). So sorry for the late posts.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 03:12
I understand Danishmo, Gil gives good advice too - go with DBC if its between fpsc and dbc, and if you're serious about coding. What I was trying to say was see if you can wait and scrounge together a few more bucks and get dbp, since its way better than dbc. fpsc isnt going to really help with coding skills if thats what you're after, altho you may put a game together more quickly with it.

FREE Automatic file updates for your distributed Games and Apps - see Program Announcements Forum - DBP Demo
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 03:45
if you wan to sell stuff get DB work up your skillson it then make some good programs like modelers IDE plugins and map editors then if they are good ebough sell em.

Check out my site!(unfinished)
http://www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie/
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 07:29 Edited at: 6th Mar 2006 07:29
Well there's no way you're going to sell anything you make in FPSC, especially if you've never used any Game Creators software. I suggest saving up for DBP, it's prettier.

And
Quote: "I'm not relying on selling them. I can't get a job cause i'm in school"

..? Are you serious? Unless you're too young for employment then it's possible to juggle school and a job, and it's a good experience too.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 10:03
Yeah it's much better to save more money to get Pro. While you're waiting you can download the trial version of Pro so you can start learning. If you find that you really don't like to program... you've saved money for something else.

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=trial

danishmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive already downloaded the demo. And yes I am only 14 and under-aged to work. So I might just have to hope my church comes up with some more lighting jobs then need me to do so I can make some more bucks and get dbp. My parents wont pay me cause they're paying for my website(under construction so I wont give you the url). Thanks for the advice and sorry for the slow response! Schools a pain

danishmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, and I think some of you might be just alittle confused on what I ment by "sell". I know I am NOT going to make the next Halo or any game like that. I was going to practice programming and find my potential. Then I was going to move on to model making. Then work on animation. After all that I might be able to put a game together. Then I was going to sell a downloadable(if it was any good) on my website for no more the 5 bucks. I was originally only hoping for 2, but I thought it should be 3 bucks. I don't know if that cleared anything up, or confused people. I certainly hope that didn't stir anyone up. I dont want a fight happening.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 17:36:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 17:36:12