Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Sky, Continuous map, and music q's

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was just wondering how you make a good looking sky in your game with the scrolling texter and everything

or even like in zelda 64 where you can see the moon and soon rotating above you like you are inside a sphere and the texture was on the inside of the sphere

Also, I was playing the tank demo (i think it's the second version) and i noticed that the matrix never ended like it actually was a sphere and you could keep going around it, I was wondering how that was done.

And Lastly, I tried adding music into my game and it slowed the game down tremendously. Does this happen with a lot of people or is my comp slow or what?

By the way I have regular DB Lite not Pro. Lite is the same thing as regular db but you can't compile into exe's. I'll prolly update pretty soon though.

Thanks for any help in advance you guys are awesome.

Peace Out
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 05:22
This is what I use for a sky Sphere

That will give you a texture on the inside of a sphere, I haven't played Zelda so I'm not sure what exactly you want done with that.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 05:59
He means a fade between night and day. It is really a matter of having a sphere textured with a texture for both night AND day. It can be a matter of how good your skills are as a 2D artist. Then, using an agrothim, you can slowing rotate the texture, and have any lights that are active in your environment slowly dissolve, making the whole area dark.

For the matrix, I dont think it was a sphere, I am pretty sure that there was just more than one matrix simply a seamless duplicate of the other. As you approach the edges of one matrix, one (or two or 3 if needed) more matrices are created, hiding in the fog.

Hope this helps you,

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
Duncanla
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks guys, anyone got an answer for my music q? why is it making my game so slow?
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 00:05
Post your problem part of your code if you would. Then we can see what your doing.

RPGamer

Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
Duncanla
Years of Service
User Offline
Well there is no problem part of my code. All i do is load the music and then loop it and it causes my game to slow down a lot, I even timed it once and it lagged for 7 seconds!
matt rochon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 04:15
is it a big wav file?

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 04:33
I thought you might be loading the music inside a loop or something....just wondering

RPGamer

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 05:44
Yeah, if you're continously loading a file over and over again then it slows it down a lot. I did that without realising once... lol

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Duncanla
Years of Service
User Offline
Nope, not loading it in a loop. Let's see.... And it's 12.2 kb. Is that really big? It doesn't look very big. And it's one of the songs that came with DB so i don't know. Could it be a problem with my sound card? My comp has played midi's fine before. Thanks for all the help so far

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 01:10:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 01:10:24