Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Programming languages: Reusing Code

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm considering getting into programming, I used BASIC some 20 years ago (started on a Pet Commodore 16k, before moving onto Amstrad CPC464 and finally Turbobasic on the Commodore 64). I did very simple little programs, my best probably being one where you ran a hotdog stall.

I read a book on JAVA and C++ and to be quite honest I experienced both excitement and alarm. Excitement at the possibilities of reusing your old code so easily, and alarm at the number of lines it took to print "Hello World".

I suppose at heart I'm a BASIC programmer (tainted some might say). But I do worry about the advantages and disadvantages of this vs that, with particular reference to reusing your hard earned code and adding to existing code.

I would welcome comments by people who have experience of C++/Java/Python etc and whether they think I might be better to go into the OOP route.

Also DBCvDBP. I have the resources to run either, my programming probly won't delve too deeply into 3D so would DBC be better for a newbie?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 23:02
mho's

dbc vs dbp = dbp

oop vs procedural = oop

Having said that, if you don't already know c++ then you will be taking some time to learn before you can even approach making a game. If you have experience in basic then dbp might be a perfect place to start. Also the DGSDK allows c++/oop coders to use the DX wrappers that are dbp by using them as libs.

I'd say learn OOP regardless of what you use right away to mess around with game programming. The .NET languages (VB.NET, c#) are ultra powerful and are friendlier than unmanaged c++.

good luck

FREE Automatic file updates for your distributed Games and Apps - see Program Announcements Forum - DBP Demo
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 03:29
You can take old Basic code and put it into Darkbasic Pro... but get ready to rewrite about 99% of the code. It's best to just learn Pro and make code from scratch using the Basic code you want to replicate as a reference only.

Have you tried the Pro trial?
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=trial

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 11:52
A newsletter tutorial on writing reusable code in DB Pro. It's not OOP, it's more a programming concepts tutorial for newcomers.

http://members.thegamecreators.com/tutorialcity/html/newsletter_19.html

Geo Kinkladze
Years of Service
User Offline
Grog,

I figured that would be the case, actually I wasn't thinking of re-using old code, in fact I wouldn't know where to get it. I've got some old magnetic tapes in the loft with suitably descriptive titles such as "Forest of Death", "Halls of the Dead" and "Dungeons of Doom" written on them (you can see where my influences came from as an 11 year old). But I suspect the code is way beyond retreival.

No, I'm more into learning a new language to get the old grey matter going again, and maybe my influences will be a little more serene these days... look out for titles such as "Forest of Trees (and birds)", "Halls of walls and paintings", and "Dungeons of wet cobbles and the odd pile of slime"... coming soon.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 19:14
Ah. I know how that is... we have some old TSR-80 tapes in storage.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 17:37:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 17:37:33