Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Should I get DB

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Should I get Dark Basic? Can you tell me stuff about how it's good and easy? and Can it do modeling? Because I'm thinking of getting it. So please tell me.
kyle thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
I got it the other day (Used gm before) And I already can make 3D 360 degree movement. It IS easier if you have experience with other coding languages before though.

Hi
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 19:40
Quote: "Should I get Dark Basic?"

If your serious about making games and willing to spend long hours working on them and learning how to make them.

Quote: "Can you tell me stuff about how it's good and easy?"

While its not the most powerful program, its getting better every upgrade, and the efficiency of the program really depends on the skill of the programmer. Don't expect to make the next Elder Scrolls V or Halo 3 with it though .

Quote: "Can it do modeling?"

The short answer: no, not like your thinking, its a programming language, you can't model with it.
The long answer: Really, yes, if you want to take the time to program a modeller WITH it then you could.

Pirates of Port Royale:
http://www.popr.gwgaming.net (Temporarily Disabled, We Apologize for the Inconvenience)
Live the life.
roswell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 06:40 Edited at: 13th Mar 2006 06:42
Classic or Professional?

I would recommend Professional, but first, here's some advice if you're new to programming:

DarkBASIC Professional is a great language to learn about programming, but any kind of programming takes effort. There are several tutorials out there that can show you how to do one thing or other, but you will eventually have to break out of those pre-made molds and learn how to coax the language to do what YOU want to do. If you have a game you would like to create in mind, that's a good place to start, but put it aside for now. Chances are it will be a bit over your head for now (ie, a game like GTA, World of Warcraft, or some other professionally produced game). If you start a project that's too much for you at once, you'll increase the likelihood of becoming overwhelmed and frustrated and you'll drop DBPro in search of some other "Easy" button. I'll tell you from experience, they don't exist.

Instead, start extremely simple. I, myself, am remaking Pong at the moment. The trick is to create small projects that (again with some effort) you can complete in a reasonable time. Once you have a complete game that is fully polished, you'll have such a sense of accomplishment, you'll be dying to move on to the next project. It's a great feeling. With these smaller projects, you can get a fundamental understanding of the language while building the skills you will need to tackle bigger things that are closer to the game you want.

Don't get frustrated when you realize that your Pong! game doesn't rival the biggest and best professional game out there. Understand that professional games are the result of dozens of talented people working fulltime for years. Even if DBPro is capable of producing a high-quality product such as Half-Life 2, do not believe that you will be able to make Half-Life 3 in just a few lines of code and in under a week. Programming is a skill you have to develop and hone over a long period of time. However, even with this reality, game programming can be incredibly rewarding, and some games become enormously popular even though they don't have bleeding edge technology. Look at PacMan, Tetris, and more recently the hundreds of those simple Flash games that have become overnight hits (by the way, DBPro will beat Flash in terms of capabilities every day of the week and twice on Sundays).

With all that said, DBPro is capable of doing almost anything you have in mind. It supports many of the leading industry gaming technologies like cartoon shading, particle effects, and volumetric lighting to name but a few. Should you actually create something that rivals Half-Life 2 or World of Warcraft, you would probably notice that DBPro is not as fast as those professional games. This is due to the fact that many of the critical parts of professional games are usually coded in extremely fast languages like Assembly that are very close to machine language. As a newcomer, however, DBPro has more horsepower than you will need for quite a while.

'Just one game,' they said, and started to play. That was yesterday.

Dual Athlon 2.0/1GB RAM/GeForce Ti4200-128/Win2000 Pro
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 17:27
I would advice you to buy it, if you want to learn to program and want an (relativly) easy language.

And on the modelling question: You can code modells if you want (threw the use of meshs and limbs, and thats not something that a noob, like me, should focus on). Here is a link to a non-media, wich means that it has no external media like modells, images or sounds, 3d space game that was posted on this forum: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=64911&b=5
Just remember that this is advanced programing. Myself Ive no idea how to create the x-wings and tie-fighters (only that you use meshs and limbs), or any other part of the game. But I know its possible, otherwise the game wouldnt exist.

If you choose to buy, youll be welcome to the forum with any qusetions.
Silent Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 23:51
If you see that thing in the media drop-down menu of the IDE on the trial version (see image below) that is merely a lie. you specify editors, and it is an outside program. all that menu does is launch the editor you chose.

Only when the last tree is cut, the last river is dammed, and the last spot of ground is paved will we realize we can't eat money

Attachments

Login to view attachments
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 05:45
Try it (DBP). You'll either love it or not. If you're looking for a free and easy way to make models that work with DBP, Doga...

http://www.doga.co.jp/english/

Awfuldark Forest

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 19:21:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 19:21:34