Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Disappointed with help files

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just bought the DB Prob Full bundle package and know that this is a cool language but I am disappointed with the help files that the progam has. When I click on Index to get an example usage of
a command I would hope to see just a quick few line program on how the command works instead of a random generation program that runs several different related commands and runs so fast it is difficult to figure out what is going on in ther program. As any one else
had the same concern. I think that the help files in dark basic demo at least focused on the command your were trying to see how
it worked. Is there some where one can just see examples of how a specific command works

newto3D
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 19:43
Quote: "I would hope to see just a quick few line program on how the command works instead of a random generation program that runs several different related commands and runs so fast it is difficult to figure out what is going on in ther program."

I agree with that, they tried to make like 4 different programs cover all the usage help for the commands.

Quote: "I think that the help files in dark basic demo at least focused on the command your were trying to see how
it worked. Is there some where one can just see examples of how a specific command works"

Well if you look at the commands, their descriptions pretty much explain what their for, if your still stumped, ask on the forums .

Pirates of Port Royale:
http://www.popr.gwgaming.net (Temporarily Disabled, We Apologize for the Inconvenience)
Live the life.
Hoose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 21:24
I tend to agree, for some of the simpler concepts anyway, there should have been more specific examples. Sprite creation and animation, matrixs, etc.

Probably would have cut the questions here in half (at least for the people who bother to read the help files). =)

Fortunately the forum community is pretty good.

Hoose
Fuzzzy Piggy
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a DBP newbie and I bought the book "Beginner's Guide to DarkBASIC Game Programming", it has bucket loads of simple examples to follow. A lot of people said it was far to basic to bother with but as Unix scripter of some 10 years and Perl/Java nut, I found that even if you have a simple grounding other languages like Perl, Java, VB, whatever, you can simply skip the first few chapters on variables, loops the usual crap and get onto the DBP multimedia type stuff and start knocking a few simple demos and 2d games together. The examples seem a lot more what you are looking for, explaining one command or at the very least mixing a couple or related commands in a clear and concise manner.
Hoose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 00:16
That's a pretty good book, my only problem is that it was written for DarkBASIC Classic. Some of the commands are out of date and won't work in Pro.

But still a good book.

Hoose
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 01:57
yah i have the beginners guide to DB game programing i highly recommand you get it it is only like $40 on amazon.com. it has some great examples on everything includinng multiplayer.

Check out my site!(unfinished)
http://www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie/
rod52
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the replys.. Yep I was just voicing an opinion that if it is PRO program it should have som e PRO help that is clear and to the point with a couple of good exmamples for 3d etc commands.

I am glad that the forums are here and should be able to pick up all I need an more ..

Thanks again

newto3D

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 17:34:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 17:34:52