Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / R.O.B.O.I. - Programmable Robot Strategy Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 03:22 Edited at: 18th Mar 2006 06:15
March 17 EDIT:
Download the playable Alpha here! http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=815479
===================================

This is my third attempt at this game I've been envisioning for over five years. My first attempt was in 2004 and after I lost the source in a hard drive crash, I didn't touch it again until 2005, where I began building a 3D version in DBP.

Finally I've settled down with using PlayBasic as it's fast to develop with and requires less memory overhead.

The premise of this game is a foundation for logical thinking--- a great starting point for kids to learn about programming. Don't let this turn off any of you who are adults (like myself), as most of the levels are simply *not* as easy as they look and require a great deal of thought.

You have R.O.B.O.I. (ROBOI Obeys Basic Operational Instructions) who contains 16 slots for microchips. Each microchip is a single move (i.e. up 1x, rotate 90 deg. clockwise, pick up, etc.) There is also support for loops with parentheses--- think *big* levels ). Each level contains a task like pick up the disk, put it into the terminal, and exit. The levels can be solved using the microchips on hand, and each level starts you off with different levels of chips. For example the first level doesn't give you any ways to move backward or loop control, forcing you to be creative.

The gist of this game is I've been in a creative rut for the past two years almost, and ROBOI has been shelved for too long. Right now the engine is complete and all I still have to do is design roughly 16 more levels.

Please let me know what you think, and if you'd be interested in such a game.

Thanks

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 03:27
Haven't downloaded the game yet, but I think this is awesome. It reminds me of another indie-game that recently had rave reviews. (forget what its called) but basically it was a puzzle game and you set the route and then watched it and see what happened.

I think this is a great idea. What about the programmer art though? Are you getting an artist?

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 03:31
Quote: "Haven't downloaded the game yet, but I think this is awesome."

Thanks The game isn't available yet, but should be shortly after I finish designing all of the 20 levels. The level designs are the tough part, as I'm trying to make the solutions be exactly 16 chips each.

Quote: "What about the programmer art though? Are you getting an artist?"

What are you implying? I'm and not even pretending to be an artist, but when we still had the Team Request board I posted to get some pixel work done, and not one person replied. I may enlist the help of a few artist friends if I can--- but if not, this is the best I can offer

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
wow. Great idea. Can't wait for a demo

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 03:59
I gagged when I saw this. Yeah, I'm that excited to play it.

common people are walking in line.
Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 04:02
What about hiring an artist? Try that yet?

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 04:04
I thought only DB games were allowed here and in the Program announcements board?

You may be a mod, but the same rules apply to you... unless I'm wrong.

"Forgiveness is a good thing"
"Forgiveness is between them, and God. I set up the meeting"
-Man on Fire
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 04:05 Edited at: 12th Mar 2006 04:06
Quote: "I gagged when I saw this. Yeah, I'm that excited to play it."

Exactly the kind of response I'm looking for

Quote: "What about hiring an artist? Try that yet?"

That thought has crossed my mind, but I just can't bring myself around to paying money for art for a freeware game. If I were to have a demo then sell the full version, it would be a possibility.

I won't rule out hiring an artist, but I can't promise anything. Hopefully the game will be different enough that people won't be playing it for the graphics anyways

EDIT:

Quote: "I thought only DB games were allowed here and in the Program announcements board?

You may be a mod, but the same rules apply to you... unless I'm wrong."

PB is a language sold from the TGC website, so it should be allowed. I'll check it out and move it to the Programming board if not.

Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 04:30
Why on earth would you make it freeware? You could be making $ off of a concept like this!!!!!!!

Heh your programmer art is better than MY programmer art

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 04:31
Ohhh I remember this. I like these kind of games, and haven't seen many like them in DBP. I look forward to playing yours(that is, if you are going to actually finish it this time ).

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
Download the free version
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 07:21
WHen you said playbasic it reminded me of the mobile thing. That would be awesome, ROBOI mobile. I remember your previous version, truly awesomely cool funness.

I'm going to eat you!
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 09:08
Wow, it looks really good, a real brainer!

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 09:38
Quote: "Why on earth would you make it freeware? You could be making $ off of a concept like this!!!!!!!"

Hey now. Don't give him any good ideas...

This game looks great Jeku! It's a game I'm interested in for sure. I think it's a great concept and I think it should be really fun to play, and try to solve those levels

Good luck with it this time! And I'm surely looking forward to that demo!

And about the artist hirering. I don't think you need to pay for an artist. I'm sure you could find someone around on this forum that would be glad to help you out. I would be... That is... If I were an artist...

-The Nerd

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 19:48 Edited at: 12th Mar 2006 19:53
Thanks for the good words, people It's been fun searching the net for sound effects for the game--- and I downloaded a text-to-speech program for ROBOI's dialogue with the player (yes, he talks ).

I've moved this to Programmer's Chat to be on the safe side, and this game is kind of a programmer's game to begin with

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 22:04
Jeku,

Yes, PB projects can happily appear in both the program announce + WIP boards here.

very nice BTW

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 23:35
WAHOO!!! It's back again! I loved the original so much, was distraught when it's progress was halted.

Why make sense when you could make brownies?
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 00:14
Nice

where i went on holiday to
www.portaventura.es and also http://themepark.nl/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB7&Number=661483&page=0&fpart=all
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 06:13 Edited at: 18th Mar 2006 06:14
Sweet, Rich said that PB games can be placed in the WIP and PA forums

I've released a playable alpha demo for you guys. It's got four levels for you to fart around with! Have fun

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=815479

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 15:02
Just had a play with it, got past the first level eventually. I didn't realise there was more than one level until I came here and read your post again. Looks like it's going well, keep it up!

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
Download the free version
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome! That was really cool. I won all the levels. Great idea and game! Just in the finished version, you should have some tutorial levels that only have an objective to get through the exit so they can get used to loops and stuff, and then do the harder levels.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 07:35
Sweet!

Easy to use, great fun, and even better still, I got a massive nostalgia hit because it reminded me so much of LOGO!
I loved that little turtle

Anyway, great job mate!

Thought about making some more updated graphics perhaps?

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 12:20:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 12:20:34