Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / help me! realistic Space in 3d

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
how to make realistic space in 3d???

background, several planet, star and ship (first player view)
roswell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 18:56 Edited at: 13th Mar 2006 18:57
I'm a newbie myself, but perhaps you could just make a skybox/skysphere that has the elements you want on it and affix your player in the middle of it. The great thing about space is that it's so vast you could travel for YEARS without objects appearing any closer.

To add a bit of realism, you could create some space "dust". I'm not sure exactly how to do that, but I would think you could create an invisible particle emitter some distance in front of the player so that no matter which way they turned the "dust" would be "blowing" in the right direction.

'Just one game,' they said, and started to play. That was yesterday.

Dual Athlon 2.0/1GB RAM/GeForce Ti4200-128/WinXP Pro
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 21:16 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 04:54
maybe you can use a very high poly realistic space skybox and scroll the texture slowly like when you do water.

Check out my site!(unfinished)
http://www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie/
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 04:19
@Roswell: Your a newbie and you joined in 2002 ?

Quote: "maybe you can sue "

lol, took me a minute to realize what you meant, that you meant use .

@3Ton: I'm going to tell the same thing I tell everyone who asks a question like that (maybe there should be a sticky for questions like this and the "can DBP" questions ). There's more than one way to program something. It's like speaking. There's more than one way to say something, and the more complicated the sentence, the more ways there is to say it, just as in programming the more complicated the task, the more ways are to complete it. Your question is very general:
Quote: "how to make realistic space in 3d???

background, several planet, star and ship (first player view) "

Well, what do you consider "realistic"? Are you asking us to code it for you? What your asking there is about 10 questions in one. How to make a background, what to do for a planet, how to make more planets, adding a star, having a ship, having a first person view. You need to be more specific. As a programmer you have to think for yourself, not let others do the thinking for you. So, lets take this one by one:
Quote: "how to make realistic space in 3d???"

Thats a general question, thats really unanswerable, it just depends on what you want specifically. What do you consider realistic. Do you want to include plains in 3D? What kind of poly count are we looking for? What is this for in the first place?

Quote: "background,"

There are several ways to do this, you could have a skybox that looks like space, you could have a textured plain facing you to look like space, if you wanted a more "spherical" look you could have a sky sphere.

Quote: "several planet,"

What do you want on these planets? How detailed do you want them? Do you want to be able to go to each one? this is to general to answer. You could model a planet outside the program, you could texture a DBP primitive, you oculd make a plain facing the player at all times to look 3D. What kind of planets? Where in space? Can you travel to them?

Quote: "star and ship (first player view) "

You want a star? 2D or 3D? As a background or where you can travel to it? How detailed? The ship is also to general, its almost like your asking for the code how to do it. What don't you get about it? What can't you figure out how to do?

Sorry if I sounded harsh, but I'm just trying to show you what you need to think about before asking a question. Welcome to the forums .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 04:54
haha i edited my post.

Check out my site!(unfinished)
http://www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie/
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 07:36 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 07:38
This is enough to make you cry, if you're in the market for it...

http://members.thegamecreators.com/geecee3/programs/cygnus.zip
Quote: "This demo uses loads of ghosted plains and might slow down some on lesser equiped pc's"

That's by Geecee3. So the answer is Yes, DBP can make realistic space. It can make whatever you want.

rjweng
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 08:35
I have been looking to make a space program also. I have been trying to make skyboxes and skyspheres, but have been having issues just getting them going. Yes I have searched and read all the skybox/sphere articles here, but still having issues. I have d-loaded free skyboxes but the image is either upside down and don't match up or there is blue spots in the images. I am trying to go step by step, first hurdle is the skysphere/box.

Now my other question is would you make a matrix for your "space", in other words you are going to have the skybox follow your ship around so that the ship is in the middle at all times so you would want a matrix to know the size of your world right? and then you would place "planets" on the matrix, so that when you are flying around you would be able to fly towards them. This is my basic set up of what I would like to do. But as a noob I know I am taking on alot here.

Ok now a question is can you have it that your ships flies up, down, and of coarse you can fly left and right, but how would you get it to fly up and down if you had a matrix. Would it just be as simple as +Y and -Y positioning of the ship. Like lets say that it can only fly to a max of -50 and +50 on the Y axis. am I correct in that thinking? or would it require Z axis in there also? I hope I am thinking the right way on this. I hope I am not asking a question that has been out there, doesn't seem like alot of space game builders out there. As I play the game Eve, I would like to mess around with trying a space game.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments, flames ( if so place point in right direction)

Thank you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 19:21:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 19:21:09