Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Reducing exe's to machine code?(DBP)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just found out that my exe's are compiling, but, it also makes a version of DBPro that runs the program, making the file significantly larger.

Can anyone tell me if there is a program that will reduce it to machine code?

Thanks!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 22:43
when you compile your dbp code it makes an exe, and it also compiles into the exe all the necessary dll's that the exe will need during runtime. This also includes any 3rd party dll's and plugins you may have in your folders, wether they are actually called or not. The minute you include any 3d commands in your code you will get a bloated exe. There are ways to reduce the size of the exe's but I leave that discussion to others who could guide you better.

FREE Automatic file updates for your distributed Games and Apps - see Program Announcements Forum - DBP Demo
Twu Kai
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks very much for this useful response, I'm making some screen savers at the moment, and see with some dismay that while the program size is less than ten k, the exe is over five meg!

If there's an easy way to trim the size down, I'd really appreciate it.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 01:37
if you use the forum search you might find some stuff that might be helpful. in the meantime other may post here. this topic comes up every so often so you should be able to find some info

FREE Automatic file updates for your distributed Games and Apps - see Program Announcements Forum - DBP Demo
Twu Kai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 13:44 Edited at: 21st Mar 2006 13:45
I've just tried that, didn't come up with that much though, maybe I didn't search with the right keyword. If anyone can help me, that'd be great!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 14:10
try "smaller exe" in the google search option

Twu Kai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 23:15 Edited at: 21st Mar 2006 23:21
Still looking through the google search, I'll edit this post if and when I find something!

Edit: Ok, didn't find anything, but I do now know that there are things called converters, that convert code to machine code. I might try to get one!

Thank you very much for your help!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 01:15
um, no problem. dbp exe's are machine code, they are just bloated. I think The Winch had a tool to reduce the exe size, or was is DavidT, I can't remember

Twu Kai
Years of Service
User Offline
I found a DBC one: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=20697&b=6

And this! It has a solution to making them smaller! http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=68539&b=1

Yep, that one does it, it reduced my screen saver from about 5.12mb to 2.57mb!

Thanks for your help!
Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
actualy your SOURCE is under 10k, not your program, the program is what you get when the compiler has finished reading the source and creating the exe, by the time its been compiled, had the media/dlls/windows system calls etc included it will be noticably larger, plus DB is somewhat slack as to what it includes into the exe (actualy...almost everything...even if it doesn`t use it ), with update 6 (currently in beta) Pro will make MUCH smaller exe`s, so watch out for the next update being released.

I don`t care what you say, theres no way the commander of a Kamakasi Squadron got promoted up through the ranks.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 21:00
you should be able to shave off a lot more off final exe size by selectively disabling some large dlls that automatically get included in exe, mainly 3d conversion dlls.

Take a read;

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=53539&b=1

You will also find that compressing media within the exe is not as efficient as leaving exe large and using any compression program like winzip, rar, 7zip, etc.

Boo!
Twu Kai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 15:57 Edited at: 26th Oct 2007 21:07
Thanks for the information.

I tried the setup.ini excusions thing, but mine already has the exlusions that you wrote...

I'll look into the compressing programs as well!

This is Bish. Copy Bish into your signature to help him take over from Bunny’s control. (Bogwizard.com - Bunny hybrids)

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 19:24:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 19:24:51