Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Two n00b questions: 1.) Where to start? 2.) Isometric ideas/code links?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2006 21:45
Okies... Just order DBPro and should be recieving it in the mail shortly. I know everyone has a different opinion, but where do YOU think I should start? Just jump in head first, or read up, or what? I've done Basic/Pascal programming so I have a general jist of the type.
Secondly, I am eventually wanting to move towards and isometric engine. If you have any ideas, concepts, links to forum threads, and yes I looked, nothing good so far... I would be appreciative.

Thanks,
N.

Not all who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2006 08:17 Edited at: 25th Mar 2006 08:22
Regarding 1):

I would recommend extensively browsing these forums while you wait for DBP to arrive, specifically the "darkbasic pro" and "newcommer's corner" boards. Also check out the online help sites to get a glimpse into the command set.

Download the trial version, play with it, try the tutorials, change the tutorials and see how it affects the program.

It is good that you already have some programming experience, especially experience with BASIC. Some of your favorite BASIC commands are a bit taboo in DBP though, such as the INPUT and GOSUB commands, many people frown on using them for good reason.

A tip for using the forum: Ask programming questions here on the forum only after you have searched for the answers yourself, everyone here gets anoyed at people who don't even try to find the information themselves, because we end up repeating ourselves over and over.

At the time of this post, DBP isn't bug-free, the included help file is horribly out-of-date, and you're definately going to experience growing pains as you learn the language, but I wouldn't give it up for anything else b/c the power it gives you and the relative ease of coding compared to alternatives outweighs the bad side.

That's my two cents, welcome to the world of DBP

Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 02:03
I agree with Surefire here, if you are going to use DBpro, I would advise using one of the other IDE's.. the one included is really buggy (for me it's just a copy/past bug that drives me crazy with the official ide). I have tried out this one, found it nice to use here's the link to the Synergy IDE http://www.digitalzenith.net/OmegaBasic.asp

There are alot of code bits that are great examples (one of the bonus's of working with DarkBasic Pro or Classic) that are easy to copy set up and look at. Look into the Code Base Forums http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=codebase_list a number of good examples there.

There are many answers but just one question" ~ Jerilith the Mad
Nathaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 16:39
Thanks for the info SirFire and Timidon, very much appreciated... Another quick question, what upgrades/add ons would you suggest? I mean, is the Enhancement Pack really that good? Or things like EZRotate, etc... Thanks again for the info.

-N.

Not all who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 19:24:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 19:24:38