Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Tutorial: Placing an item inside the safe

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2006 09:36 Edited at: 25th Mar 2006 10:16
For those who have bought Model Pack 2, you know that there is an animated combination safe included. As you approach the safe a prompt appears asking if you want to open it. Pressing "enter" causes the dial to spin and the safe opens.

This is a quick tutorial on how to place an item inside the safe, so that it can be taken once the safe is open. Follow the steps below to place the colt45 inside the safe.

1. Place the animated safe against a wall, this gives the most predictable results (and is the most likely place a safe would be).

2. Choose the colt45 from your entities and position it directly above the safe. It helps to zoom in and use your arrow keys to make sure you are directly above the safe and not skewed to one side.

3. Don't place the item yet! Otherwise it will be on the floor beneath the safe. Instead use your "page up/page down keys" to move the gun to a position where it will be inside the safe. I think its easiest to hold "page up" until the gun appears above the safe, then press "page down" until it disappears inside the safe. That way you'll be sure that it will be in the correct position inside the safe.

4. Now build your game. You can walk up to the safe and open it. Because collision detection is turned off for the safe once it has been opened, you can now collect the colt45!

Advanced notes:
If you try and use this technique with a health pickup, you might notice that you are able to grab the health without opening the safe! This is easily fixed by altering the "pickuphealth.fpi" script. Simply change the "plrdistwithin" property to a smaller number, something like 20 works well(default is 80).

Have fun!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2006 09:40
Thank you.BTW,amazing job you did on Model Pack 2.

FLA
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2006 13:49
Good work, Bond. I've been wondering how to place things on individual shelves (like in that wooden cabinet I made awhile back). I appreciate all the work you've put into this pack...I know how much work it takes

-Keith

fantasy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2006 15:44
COOL MODELS!! (Runs for credit card!!)

can I apply the (key script) to the safe...
so you need an object like "safe codes"
a piece of paper you collect, so once you have it, like a key..
you can open the safe and caress the goodies
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 25th Mar 2006 18:03
Excellent, Bond.

Great info.

Crazy Grandpa
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 03:06
Bumping this because it needs to be stickied.Just about everybody will want to know how to do something like this.Once again,great job Bond 1.The animated stuff in the model pack is outstanding.Especially the ceiling fan.Thanks again.

FLA
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
cool bond1 i dont have model pack 2 but im planing to get it. the safe actualy has a combination code in order for you to open it?!? that so cool!

Silent Hill
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 03:47
You press the enter button and the comination dials and the safe opens...pretty cool.

FLA
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
oh thats cool to but it would be cool for puzzels to solve like in silent hill or resident evil

Silent Hill
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 04:02
There might be a way to script it so you have to do something like find the combination or something before it opens but I haven't had time to mess with it yet.
I am having a lot of fun playing around with the model pack though...

FLA
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
yhea seems cool i like those and my models

Silent Hill

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 04:20
right click entity.

Do it from there.

Not to down you or anything, but if you are trying to exact place something, you should do it from the entity settings screen, you have a 3d cam view and more control.

Mosillivo: Fires Rage, Earth Rumble, Evil Reigns, Cities Tumble
Join the NJL: The War Has Begun, Which Side Are You On?
Nunticaelitusphobic (Scared of Internet)
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
it might take some time though

Silent Hill
ak470000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 05:53
Quote: "Not to down you or anything, but if you are trying to exact place something, you should do it from the entity settings screen"
Kinda hard to exact-place something in a closed safe.

To make a safe open after finding a combination, I would put down two safes, one of them (and the entity inside) with Spawn at Start set to no and the other locked and visible as start, and then try and make a zone trigger a switching of the safes once the player finds the room with the combination in it.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes good idea ak470000...so many things are possible with scripting.

Quote: ""Not to down you or anything, but if you are trying to exact place something, you should do it from the entity settings screen"
"

Yep that is definetely the way to do it if you need perfect precision placement. But it does require a bit more fiddling to position the camera at just the right angle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 04:35:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 04:35:45