Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / some quetions about isolated rpg view...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i am new to dark basic and know only a few codes... i dont know how to change/keep the weapon of my model when i press a key... i also dont know how to change a map/level when my model reaches a door... i need to know how to make my char increase its level as well as its bp and life when it kills an enemy... i dont know how an enemy leaves an item when it dies... how to make my char go to the plave where i click the mouse pointer?...

another question... how to change the event for the escape key?... how to appear a menu option during the game?... how to make a sprite appear with the mouse pointer then i hit the button?...

please help me...
yosepp
Years of Service
User Offline
umm, i think when youre new to darkbasic, you should start with something easier than an rpg, you will fail. I suggest you check some tutorials on the internet.

---yosepp

if me in trouble() and 1=1 then print "but"
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 09:53
No joke, start small, try Pong. This post doesn't belong in 3D help, go directly to "Newcomer's Corner", do not pass GO, don't collect $200.

(Damn, I think I'm getting a catch phrase, lol)

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
yosepp
Years of Service
User Offline
arrow, i think i've heard this somewhere before. I wonder where... lol

----yosepp

plikplok
Years of Service
User Offline
can you recomend a site?...

yosepp
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.darkbasicpro.com/links.php
there are a lot of links

plikplok
Years of Service
User Offline
okay... i am new to dark basic... but i have created rpg using other programs/softwares... like game maker and 3d game studio... i wont fail... i will do my best... i know i can do it... and i know that God is with me...

i also used to learn turbo basic and c++... but know not that much...

just please help me!!!...

plikplok
Years of Service
User Offline
please?...

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 15:15
OK, youve coded in other languages, but your STILL NEW TO DB!!!! Well, I will try to answer your questions in the limeted amount of time I have...

1. When you press a key, just have a small function load a new model and change your gun data in an array.

2. Just have another level BSP made, and when you switch levels, you could just write your data in a file, then load that when you go into the next level.

3. When the characters x y and z positions are in the correct spot, just GOTO a new level.

4. Have an array for your characters health, and then when the enemy is dead inc your variables to a greater status.

5. When the enemy is dead just position an object at the same coordinates as the enemy.

6. Use an RTS 3D mouse snippet (uses an object as the mouse, I predict your going 3D here) and then position object at the same coords as your mouse.

7. Use Keystate()

8. Make a menu sprite and then if (key goes here)=1 then GOTO menu and just have your sprite unhide itself and have all your menu code.

9. I posted a 'custom mouse snippet' in the Code Snippets section on how to make your own sprite a mouse.

After hearing and responding to all your questions, I have gathered this.
A) You have NOT read through all of the commands
B) You have NOT experiemented with all the commands
C) You do NOT KNOW all the commands
D) You are NOT ready for an RPG

It doesnt matter what kind of background experience you have, you could be a master at C++, but you could fail at DB. Start small, or else you will fail and hate DB for the rest of your life because you couldnt get it right off because you didnt take the necessary steps to learn it.

If you need any help, contact me on the instant messengers below my post, they are as follows:
MSN: TheBedroomProgrammer@hotmail.com
AIM: Johnrocs
Yahoo!: rpggamer8

Good luck, and I advise you, do not start with an RPG, or else you will fail, and you will have no fun at all. It has already happend to too many people, I would really hate it to happen to you.

Regards,
RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
plikplok
Years of Service
User Offline
well... thats life... im new to dark basic... because im just 14... yup... im 14 years old... just a begginer... just a minor...

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 16:53
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Nicely said, and short too.

14 years is not too bad for beginning, I say you have alot of ground to cover. Start with Pong

Cheers.

Current project for RGT:
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 17:44
I started when I was 14... and now I'm 15! A lot of people on this forum are your age and are beginners too, no need to feel alone (not that you were).

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 18:30
I started pogramming when I was 14 aswell, big whoop
Welcome to the club!

It's good to see a person with reslove. Just keep trying. You only lose if you quit. You can make an rpg if you want, thats what I'm doing. All it takes is dedication, alot of temperance, and patience. Also start using Ro-gain for your hair, soon you will be ripping it out.

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
plikplok
Years of Service
User Offline
well well well... many programmers start when they are 14... 14... this year i am discovering so many things...

plikplok
Years of Service
User Offline
i only start programming a game last december02... i learn how to make one in game maker and 3d game studio...

Superbeest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 19:58
I'm 16 now and I started coding when I was 10. Now I have mastered C++, Div, Basic, visual basic, pascal, delphi, DB and I'm working on DBPro now. But I can surely say that you mustn't start with a project too big.

Just like Arrow said. Try something like pong, or a classic game. You will only like coding if you manage to succeed. If you constantly try something and it still doesn't work after a 100 times trying, you will propably get stressed and that isn't your goal I guess.

I know it. I tried to make a few rpg's and I made a pretty good start, but I have never completed it, just because I aimed at a too high target. I am now pretty good I think (*cough* what an ego eh?) in some languages and so I try something bigger now, but I always started learning with some easy thing and tutorials. They may seem too simple or you just want to skip em, but I surely advise you to read them.

Start at the beginning and go slowly to the top. Much luck with you learning process

Magister Mundi sum!
darkCorridor
Years of Service
User Offline
not too be too rude but anyone can make a game in those apps? its a point and click! and DB requires proper code. so i'd stick with what ppl said and do a nice little pong game ... btw im younger than 14

[br]mikey
Critter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:12
Ugh... Im 18 and finally got time in my life to devote a lot of time to coding. I know a fair amount of C++ I picked up in school and a little VB I did for kicks.

You guys make me feel old

Actually, I mostly know web based languages... so there

Superbeest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:14
Lol, then I'm not the oldest here

Magister Mundi sum!
Critter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:37
How old are you? Youre making me feel older now

Superbeest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 22:22
I'm 16 now. 17 in april. You are 18, so you are waaaay older then me

It looks strangely divided here: or we are very young, or very old(18+ )

Magister Mundi sum!
Critter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 22:45
Ah... at least Im not THE oldest here, Ill be 19 in a couple of months.

------------
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 23:13
Heh, Im 14 Lol a guy thought I was 23 the other day cuz he thought I knew a lot of DB So, being 14 is not an excuse!!!

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
plikplok
Years of Service
User Offline
am just new to net and programming...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 03:15
we have some Pension Pushers here so you can never feel too old lol

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Eponick
Years of Service
User Offline
I started programing DB when I was 15, now im 15!
I started programing when I was 9, now im 15!

My first game was a random number guessing game in GWBasic

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:54:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:54:49