Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / My First attempt...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 11:02
This is a third person death match style shooter game. Its only missing enemy movement, AI and a scoring system in order to be a single player game.

Use w,s,a,d to move
Use Shift + w,s,a,d to run
Use mouse to move reticle
Use mouse button 1 to fire

you can download it here http://www.hilbily-works.com/Downloads.html

heres a screenie...

have fun!

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 11:22 Edited at: 26th Mar 2006 11:23
That's not bad from the screen haven't downloaded tho to busy with maling some landscapes in bryce

Edit:
Get the fps higher from the screen it only says 33

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 13:17
Quote: "Get the fps higher from the screen it only says 33"

Not all systems can get high frame rates you know, maybe thats the case with the screenie, you may find you get 60

@New Darken. looks like a kewl project, it will be interesting to see how it progresses

NewDarken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 17:48
Thanks for the comments, I throttled it down using sync rate 30 to keep the speeds at a constant rate. Ungoverned I would get 60-70 FPS, but little dude would walk/ run a wee bit too fast, hehehehe.

Thanks.

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 22:04
sync rate 40 ?

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 22:16
Looks really good! May the force be with you on this project!

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 22:58
looks cool im downloading now.

visit my site (unfinished)
www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 02:17
I played it, its pretty cool, nice sounds. But the truth... :

"Forgiveness is a good thing"
"Forgiveness is between them, and God. I set up the meeting"
-Man on Fire
NewDarken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 04:13
Quote: "This game would be a hit in the 80's
"

lol, 80's? I'll go as far back as mid 90's. For all the Duke Nukem lovers out there, the GUI should look somewhat familiar, hehehe. Heres a history lesson for any that need it.

1980, Atari's "Asteroids" and "Lunar Lander" were the first two video games to ever be registered in the Copyright Office.

1980 - Atari releases its exclusive home version of "Space Invaders" for the VCS. Sales of the VCS skyrocket.

1981 - Given an opportunity to convert a large number of unsuccessful Nintendo video arcade games into something that will earn money, Nintendo artist Shigeru Miyamoto creates "Donkey Kong".

1991 - ID software releases Commander Keen for the PC

1992 - Wolfenstein 3d is created for the PC, again by ID software.

1993 - Doom is released for PC, agian by ID Software (Man these guys are good)

1996 - Duke Nukem is released for PC by 3d Realms.

NewDarken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 07:29
Quote: "sync rate 40 ?"

why? All that will do is increase the game speed overall so the model moves faster, bullets travel faster, etc.

Most the posts I've read state that an FPS of 30 is a pretty standard rate, movies are between 24-30 FPS.

Just trying to understand what your after, hehehehe.

Thanks.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 11:14
limiting it to 30 is too low most monitors are 60-75hz so use that, and if you tried to watch a film at 24fps on your monitor you would like the film 20% less than in the cinema.

Halowed are the ori.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 13:53 Edited at: 27th Mar 2006 13:54
Quote: "movies are between 24-30 FPS"

TVs do interpolation, monitors don't.

Nice game by the way. Good luck with it.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
Download the free version
NewDarken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 04:05
So when you play a DVD on your computer, does the Frame rate get adjusted or are you guys saying that tv frame rates are highter than 24-30 fps? I've never heard this before, Ill go look some stuff up. Thanks for the heads up

NewDarken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 04:31
Wow! Ok, ok so interpolation = motion blur. Heres an awesome article on what yous have pointed out. This is quite the revelation for me and I appreciate the info!

This exerpt is taken from http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_1.html
Read the whole article though, its some pretty good info.

Conclusion
We as humans have a very advanced visual system. While some animals out there have sharper vision, there is usually something given up with it (for eagles there is color, for owls it is the inability to move the eye in its socket). We can see in millions of colors (women can see up to 30% more colors than men, so if a woman doesn't think your outfit matches, she is probably right, go change), we have highly movable eyes, and we can perceive up to and over 60 fps. We have the ability to focus as close as an inch, and as far as infinity, and the time it takes to change focus is faster than the fastest, most expensive auto-focusing camera out there. We have a field of view that encompasses almost 170 degrees of sight, and about 30 degrees of fine focus. We receive information constantly and are able to decode it very quickly.
So what is the answer to how many frames per second should we be looking for? Anything over 60 fps is adequate, 72 fps is maximal (anything over that would be overkill). Framerates cannot drop though from that 72 fps, or we will start to see a degradation in the smoothness of the game. Don't get me wrong, it is not bad to play a game at 30 fps, it is fine, but to get the illusion of reality, you really need a frame rate of 72 fps. What this does is saturate the pipeline from your eyes to your visual cortex, just as reality does. As visual quality increases, it really becomes more important to keep frame rates high so we can get the most immersive feel possible. While we still may be several years away from photographic quality in 3D accelerators, it is important to keep the speed up there.
Looks like 3dfx isn't so full of it.
Joshua Walrath

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 16:24
Interesting read.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
Download the free version

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 12:26:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 12:26:19