Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 19:58
Hi, I have a huge interest in game design and I was curious to know is DB as easy as it claims to be? I have experience in C++, so programming really isnt that tough for me, is it also safe to assume that DB has some relationship with VB?

Also, if I started programming in DB, is DirectX programming still required?

Thx.
Critter
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:23
I cant answere that question for you, I have very little experience in C++, & even less in VB, but most of the text commands are like QBasic from what I can see, the 3d commands I think, are in their own catagory (I think, but not sure.) They call "Dark Basic" that because its a scripting language (may even be in its own catagory.) Thats the way I saw it, but I am the one who is wrong 40% of the time.

Try this, go here...

http://www.darkbasic.com

And click on the create tab, then click on the Online 3D Tutorials link. Then you can start reading over their code & it may help you to decide what you think on the subject (as well as it being helpfull to start out on. ^^")

Critter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:32
Alright, thanks a lot.

I do feel somewhat ignorant because I havent had much time to fully read over the site.

So what is the difference between DarkBasic and DarkBasic Pro? (again, not much time to read over the site completely)

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:40
DBPro is better than DB, I dont know the details, but everyone says to go with DBPro so I did. One difference is that DB has a harder time with frame rate on sprites than DBPro, so if you want to make panels, inventory, & other stuff, go with DBPro. Another difference I found out is that DBPro has some different & better code than DB. All DB applications & code will work in DBPro, but not vice versa. Only some DBPro code will work with DB. So in short, buy DBPro, its worth it (even if it does cost extra.)

xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:40
If you know C++ or any other language then DB will be a breeze to pick up. You don't need to know DirectX programming to use DB. DB handles all of the complex DirectX stuff behind the scenes.
Critter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:47
Awesome, thank you guys!

Next question and Ill try hard to stop

Do anyone of you know of the CrystalSpace engine? How compatible is DBPro with it?

Again thx.

------------
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
I used CrystalSpace, for those who don't know what it is:

It uses OpenGL to render 3D graphics, and supports effects like colored lighting, mipmapping, portals, mirrors, alpha transparency, reflective surfaces, 3D sprites, procedural textures, particle systems, halos, volumetric fog, scripting, 16- and 32-bit display support, font support, and much more.

I don't know if it could be used, since it uses OpenGL, and DBPro was made on DirectX.

Cheers.

Current project for RGT:
Critter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 21:07
Yeah, I figured the OpenGL would pose a problem. I guess my search for an engine continues.

------------
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 01:10:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 01:10:37