Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Db book compatible with Dbp?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 03:36
Hi all, I've been researching many different tools/languages to find where I should start my programming venture, and after careful consideration have fallen upon Dark Basic.

I was just wondering since I noticed DarkBasic was last updated way back in 2002, if I should just start with Darkbasic pro instead? and If so I had a few questions to ask before purchasing.

1. Is the difference in difficulty between db / dbp large? how different is the syntax etc? do I need prior expierence to use dbp?

2. And lastly but most important, does the Dark Basic book Beginner's Guide to Darkbasic Game Programming work completly with Dark Basic Pro?

Thanks in advance, a novice.

` newb `
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 18:34 Edited at: 30th Mar 2006 18:35
DB Pro is essentially the same syntax as DB Classic, but with more commands and flexibility. Behind the scenes, it's a much more powerful engine, and faster.

The latest (free) update to DB Pro is pending in the next few days. This has been a huge sweep of all known issues, and you'll see the community are raving about it.

I went from DB Classic to DB Pro, my advice is to go straight for Pro, it's much better value for money and anyone who enjoys Classic outgrows it quickly.

Kevin p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 00:28
Thanks for the quick reply

I was trying to understand why they didn't just continue to improve upon Dark Basic, as opposed to creating a whole other piece of software.

Anyways, do you know at all if that book is compatible? I'm the type of person that needs to follow something while learning

` newb `
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 05:04
I have the book but only got it recently (Second hand book shop) and would also like to know if it is compatible?

I got DBp staright away and am glad I did since the support is larger than most other products made by TGC.

When in Trouble with anything visit here your number one stop for help
welverin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have the book but only got it recently (Second hand book shop) and would also like to know if it is compatible?
"

i think BatVink has already, in a way, answered this:
Quote: "DB Pro is essentially the same syntax as DB Classic, but with more commands and flexibility"

Now, I’m REALLY new here but judging by that db pro contains the same commands as db classic plus more, which means that the book is compatible to some extent.
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 14:33
The book is pretty much compatible, but some ways you would do certain things in DBC are much more efficiently coded by doing it a different way in DBP.

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...
Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
Just buy the DBP book.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 19:28:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 19:28:28