Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / My Wikibook: DarkBASIC Programming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 20:12 Edited at: 4th Apr 2006 20:12
Some of you critized my tutorials on my web page which I will not state. So I went back, did a new tutorial or book and made it more indepth then ever before. This is going to sound like spam but before you flame and noob slay me. I have taken over a month to write 40 pages of a work in progress book on DarkBASIC. A free book too, that if your nice you can edit too. I hope you don't flame me and enjoy this book. Google don't think it's spam, google DarkBASIC Programming and you'll find it's on the first page.

Url: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/DarkBASIC_Programming

Thank You - Dbtutor aka Computer Nerd aka Jonathan Skinner

Current Project - Jono's Maze(Open Source, 3d maze shooter)
Progress Of Project - 0.5%
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 20:19
The reason google displays it as it's first find is because its on a registered Wiki, and all wikis are highly prioritized with google. It has nothing to do with google "thinking" your tutorial is good

So far in the beginning paragraph you've managed to make DBP seem very hard, make the forums seem like a large group of babbling idiots that wont do anything but flame, and made yourself look unqualified to write the tutorial in the first place. Very proffesional.

I havent read the entire thing but it does look a lot better than your old ones, layout wise atleast.

This isn't a flame but I've found it pointless in saying that for the past while since any sort of constructive critisism is concidered flammage by anyone fairly new to the forums, so take this as you wish.

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 20:23 Edited at: 4th Apr 2006 20:34
I didn't try to make anyone sound bad but there are people that do that. Most noobs do get flamed.

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 20:26 Edited at: 4th Apr 2006 20:33
deleted message

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 20:31 Edited at: 4th Apr 2006 20:38
<edit>

I just read your above post, this is exactly what Im talking about. Why do you take things so critically, this is supposed to help not discourage you. The tutorial so far is among the better ones I've seen and Im sure since you've put such a large amount of time into it it will get better as the reader progresses through the tutorial. Im-Not-Flaming-You, take it from an (experienced, if I do say so myself) tutorial writer, its got potential and I've only read the first few paragraphs. If you cant take critisism Id hate to see how you take actual flamage.

</edit>

I read up to the end of the third paragraph:

- It looks like you're pretty much summarazing what your computer science teacher tought you (it sounds almost exact to what my teacher tought us this year) (Out of nowhere you throw in the 1 and 0 theory behind programming, and then dont elaborate on it at all)

- You need to divide your sentences up into smaller ones, theres a lot of places you could have used periods or commas to stop from leaving an uneasy taste in the readers mouth after each sentence.

Also concider dividing your paragraphs up into smaller ones as well, Im not trying to be picky but my eyes began hurting midway through the second paragraph.

- Not sure if Bookwiki allows this but some images in there would be nice, even if they dont have anything to do with the current topic you could throw in some pics of a computer, maybe a funny quote here or there, you get the idea. Something to break the constant black and white feeling the page gives off.

Not much more to say right now, its an ok start but in all honesty it seems like you've stretched out a lot of information that could be summed up in a small paragraph or two, giving the same amoutn of information.

Goodluck with the tut, Ill try and read some more after school today but I've got a lot to do.

- RUC'

<edit 2>

You keep changing your posts! lol

Most "noobs" (shouldnt be using that word) get flamed by other "noobs" that think they're smart enough to critisize the other "noob". If you looked at the posts from the gurus and pros around the forums you'd see they only critisize in an intelligence and "un-noobish" manner, unless the post is extremely stupid and uncalled for, guru's wont flame.

</edit>

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 20:36 Edited at: 4th Apr 2006 20:37
Sorry RUCCUS I'm a hothead, I hope I didn't cause any offense.

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 20:40
Quote: "You'll go from Hello World, to computing a text adventure, to making a Simple First Person Shooter!"

false advertising

Could be quite useful to newcomers as its far more extensive than the help system that comes with dark basic. Keep it up...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 21:33
check your formatting
part of that text is causing the page to be like 3000 pixels wide, instead of wrapping

Automatic file updates for your distributed Games
SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 21:42
Quote: "part of that text is causing the page to be like 3000 pixels wide, instead of wrapping"

Yeah, this bit:

Quote: "255,0,0 - red
0,255,0 - green
255,255,0 - yellow
0,0,255 - blue
0,255,255 - cyan
255,255,255 - white
0,0,0 - black
255,0,255 - pink
192,192,192 - light grey
<pre>

To see more have a look in paint, view the rgbs values and fool around that's the way I found out, so you should find out too. Using these above values you should be able to make nice colors. The lower the value the darker, the higher the lighter.

Now after that you want a better way to Print right?

<pre>
text x,y,string$"
Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 22:03
I'll format some at my home, just joined a development team

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 16:23 Edited at: 8th Apr 2006 18:04
Update

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 02:27
Quote: "DarkBASIC if not you'll have some problems running this code unfornately"

From beginning of Day 1, typo. unforunately.

For operators, you should include the not equal <> symbol.

As for the file manager example, I wouldn't use the gosubs as you have. If you're going to sub-functions, I'd advise you end them with return rather than point them to another sub. It's almost like a recursive function call. Functions can only reiterate so many times before you get a stack overflow error. I'm not positive, but I think that could actually happen with sub-functions as well.
I just tried to crash it by overloading it, didn't work. I guess it is only functions.

Db programmer 12 v20
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks dude I'll fix that!

Forgot my password so I created a new account.
Ganz Offical Site: www.jonathanskinner.tk
My Forum: www.zombiechatforum.tk
Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 18:03
Thanks I'll fix that, anyone else that finds stuff like this please tell me!

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 21:37
Guess we know db programmer's back again with a new name, stop creating multiple accounts Computer Nerd.

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 00:37
I'm sorry everybody, I guess I'm a pain, a stupid noob, I guess I'll be quitting DarkBASIC. I'm sorry, I'm really sorry, I bet everybody hates me. I won't be back or bother you guys again. At least I'm getting a XGS maybe they'll like me better.

Good-bye

Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you expect when you make a very helpful community sound like a noob eating, elitist, forum of snobs? Dont let the door hit ya.
x1bwork
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I guess I'll be quitting DarkBASIC"

oh, shut up. no idea howmany times ive read that line from some many panty waist sissys looking for a shoulder to cry on.

Chris B
Dodic
Aon
You

all in 1 month and several others whos names I cant recall.

Suck it up, move along. You'll only be back to DBC/DBP with in a day or two anyway

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 22:13
x1b I want all of the design docs and blueprints for your mind reader asap. Ill be paying in cookies.

Tachyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 23:02
Dont give up, just save your energy to yourself, not others
I dont see a reason why your tutorial should get any flames, I think its good for newcomers and good for beeing written by newcomer, there is just many many others too.

You'll be back, I hope so, becouse programming is fun. Programming (quoted from your book)?

Quote: "So what is programming?

This isn't a stupid question, programming is not just making applications for windows, or talking a language your computer understands. "

Has someone editten that "not" there? (I used to make games in linux with java for mobile phones, it just sounds so fun without the "not")

(2b)||C!(2b) (It's C++) vs. TO B OR NOT 2B (It's DarkBasic!)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 19:21:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 19:21:56