Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A noob question on DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I already tried the DBPro demo a month ago and it is awesome. But before I purchase a license copy of DBPro, there're some questions that really bother me.

Questions:

1. Does DBPro compile stand alone executable files?
2. Does DBPro supports database as backend?
3. Can you make games in DBPro that can be sold to the stores?

Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2006 19:12 Edited at: 6th Apr 2006 20:05
yes..definitley
no..but there is a plug in
yes..sell what you make, no royalties

do be aware that getting something good enough to "sell to the stores" will be years away from the date of purchase of Pro itself, first you need to be fluent in this new language, then you need an idea, media, levels, editors, tools, tens of thousands of lines of code etc, it isn`t just a case of sitting down monday and retiring on friday (unless those days are seperated by years), it involves a lot of work, theres no magic button marked "make a bestselling game", just so you know, a lot of people jump to assumptions.

Dr Frankenstiens mum told him to make some new friends, not knowing where this was going to lead.
Bartman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 04:09
Hi, I thought my syory might help you. I had similar questions.

I programmed a bunch of Basic Based languages in the 80's & early 90's. Including extensive AMOS programming on the Commodore AMIGA in the 1990s. Plus let's not forget my COBOL days.

Then I went looking for a new programming language for my PC a few years ago. I road tested Blitz Basic, Blitz was very good and I almost went with Blitz..... I also looked at C++ but I wanted a faster learning curve.

Blitz and DB are very similar.

(But only DBPro now has the Dark Game SDK that lets you combine DBPro with C++. How much more scope for growth could you want.)

Also, Dark Basic Pro (go with pro) is just that little bit better than Blitz - there are heaps of free or fairly cheap plugins to get DBPro to do what it can't do natively (like WebCam Support - yes I will keep banging that drum). Plus DBPro does more natively than Blitz. The core of DBPro is newer technology than Blitz. Look at the current version number for DBPro.... It's about to go to V6.0 (next comes V6.1 to V6.9 not V7.0)! DBPro is a growing evolving entity that will grow with you, not something you buy outgrow and move on from.

With regard to Me! above....
It's all so true. But you will get something up and running very quickly and without much distress at your own limited knowledge as a newbie. Just don't kid yourself about the magic "make me a game button". DBPro does exactly what you tell it to do... every intricate step of the way (do you know every intricate step of bunging together even just a great title screen - yet)?

I'm just a DBPro user, not even a very experienced one either, but I totally recommend the DBPro.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 11:41 Edited at: 13th Apr 2006 11:41
Quote: "no..but there is a plug in"

Really?

Of course, you could always code your own database directly in DarkBasic and save it out as a seperate file. No plug-in needed it is all there ready for you to use.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 21:39:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 21:39:21