Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Is it just me having these problems???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Does anyone know why...

...will work, but...

...wont. The second code, although identical except for the missing PRINT commands, returns an error (Runtime error 7008: Object does not exist at line 12) Line 12 being position object 1, 0, 0, 0

I am getting frustrated with DBPro because of problems like this. The code first code only works correctly if I have sync off. If I put it on and try to sync manually, i only get the text, and no image.

So what am I doing wrong???
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 13:54
I don't think we're seeing the full code here because both the first and second snippets you posted work for me (having replaced the ship.x file with my own obviously).

DBPro Patched to 3.1 - I used the "head.x" file from the FaceDemo.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Mandrake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 13:58 Edited at: 21st Mar 2003 14:01
That is the full code, minus some rem statements at the top and a wait key statement at the bottom.
Maybe I was unlucky and got a duff copy of DBPro because very little seems to work. Even the tutorials from the book and help files usually have some errors.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 14:02
But you don't even have a "wait key" command at the end - all that code will do is load the object, show it and vanish again within a few seconds! That's why I didn't think it was the complete thing.

Also - how are you creating this? Have you use the "New Project" part of the IDE and then put the ship.x file into the correct folder? (don't just start DBPro and then start typing code, you'll be working out of the Temp folder and paths will be screwed).

Have you patched it to 3.1? Have you tried the above with a different model? Are you running the latest revision video card drivers? All those kind of things. That code is fine, it works for me and I'm sure most others.

Cheers,

Rich

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 14:03
Heh Damn that edit facility sometimes

Cheers,

Rich

Mandrake
Years of Service
User Offline
I created the project using the "New Project" part of the IDE. And the ship.x file is in the Ship sub folder of my main project folder. Everything is saved and all of the files im using exists when checked with Windows Explorer.

I patched DB Pro yesterday imediately after I installed it. My graphics drivers were updated 2 days before that (though because the program works with the print statements I dont think the gfx card is the problem). I am using DirectX 9 (could that be the problem?), and I still have the problem when I try using a different model.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 14:17
Replace the ship model with the head one from the FaceDemo, use the following code:

I took out the "autocam on" because the autocam IS on by default. That for me will be give a texture head model that is facing down (you're effectively looking at it's right ear).

I'm running it in a 640x480 Window, there is NO other code present.

Without your ship model I cannot help you any further. Email it to me if you like.

Cheers,

Rich

Mandrake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 14:26 Edited at: 21st Mar 2003 14:26
hmm...that works. So I guess its something to do with the ship model then (and apparently the asteroid model too).
Though why would it work using that model when the PRINT command is used, but not without?

The Ship model came with DB Pro. Its in the "..\Dark Basic Professional\Media\Models\Ship\" folder. I just copied it accross to my working folder to use it.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 14:30
Maybe the copy messed it up? *shrugs*

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 14:36
I tried it with the ship model from that media folder and it still works. I even deleted all the textures and it worked (but appears white, obviously).

Email me, I'll send you Patch4 (beta) to test it with.

Cheers,

Rich

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 14:40
Did he just find a loophole to get the beta without signing up to DBDN?! =o

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
put ALL files your using into the same folder and see what happens
Mandrake
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone want to know why I was having the problems?

No? Oh...

Well Im going to tell you anyway.

It was my comments. Not shown in the code snippets because I thought they were useless as info. But for some reason, when I put 3 little dots after my comments:

REM Test comment...

I get errors. If I stop using the dots, no errors and everything runs fine.

Unfortunately this is a hard habit to break as I have been using this convention for years in other languages.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2003 18:15
the characters '...' are used as continuation. You use them when you want to break up a long line into several lines.

For example, this will run correctly

You can change the continuation character(s) by upgrading the editor from the RTG site (the default then changes to an underscore character instead).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 01:11:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 01:11:58