Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Choosing The Software That Is Right For You

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 19:56 Edited at: 5th May 2006 21:23
Choosing The Software That Is Right For You.

So many threads on this forum have the title "Which is better Pro or classic" or " What is the difference between X and Y ".
It seems that many newcomers to this forum and darkbasic want to find the language that is right for them. So i decided I would clarify it in this thread. I aim to provide a quick guide to choosing the most appropriate software to meet your needs (whatever they might be).

Ok here we go:

Dark Basic Classic

Summary
Someone once told me that Darkbasic classic is more of a toy, it introduces you to the world of programming in a way that even total begginers can learn quickly and easily. The tutorials provided guide you through most of the different aspects of the language and the included examples show you the end results, so you dont even need to code to understand some of it (You just need reading abilities). The dark basic language can be expanded through the use of Dynamic Link Libraries (DLL's)
note: would recommend using the "dark edit" ide for this version of dark basic as the standard one is rubbish.

Good Points
A very good starting place for the aspiring programmer.
A large set of useful tutorials and examples.

Bad points
Default ide is nasty to look at and this makes the whole feel of the program wrong (Dark edit is supplied)
A lot more basic than Pro

People who should use this software
If you have never coded before I recommend starting here (although you may choose to start on pro).

New to programming
Cant afford Pro
want to make more basic games/applications.

Dark Basic Pro

Summary
Dark basic pro is much closer to a profesional language, it is even being used by comercial companies to create games and applications. If you have some experience with classic picking up pro is easier than expected. Games and applications produced with this are much more complex and advanced, however basic 2d games can also be achieved. However unless you have thousands of pounds and an expert team dont expect to create the next metal gear solid or grand theft auto. Dll's can be easier implemented than Dark bawsic Classic as you can place them into the plugins folder and use them as you would use a normal set of commands. And to top it all off db is still being updated at the time of writing this and will continue for another year or two.

Good points
A much improved ide which is much nicer to look at
Direct x 9.0 support means programs are graphically more efficient.
Pro is a lot faster than classic

Bad points
The ide is very buggy

if you are new to programming you can also try this out and be quite productive. It isnt much harder than classic theres just more to learn and remember.

More experienced programmers
People who want to start an advanced project.

3D GameMaker

Summary
A click and drag apllication for creating 3D games. The 3D game maker is very basic and can only create around eight different types of game although you can mix n' match these types. You may have heard the new name for this program which was aptly re-named by me "The 3D preference selector" I have called it this to define the point that this program doesn't so much let you create a totally new and original game but it lets you set your preferences (Bad guys, weapon, bosses etc..) and it will genarate the game for you. It is possible to create your own (basic) levels and import your own media. Do not expect to get much more than that from this app.

Good points
A very quick alternative to creating games
Comes with a lot of graphics to use with the games

Bad points
Very basic games are all that can be accomplished with this software.
New name "Preference selector" means you select your preferences for a game that the software will make for you.
Easy to get bored with the results.

Theorecticaly anybody can use this software but there are som situations where this program would suit you best.

Hard for cash but want to make a game anyway.
Really cant/dont want to program
Want to quickly throw together a fun and addictive game.

The First Person Shooter Creator (FPSC)

Summary
This software really is the best of both worlds, although you can only make fps games with it you can do it really well with the FPSC. This software allows you to create complex and challenging levels and place every kind of game entity within it. Once you have set out your game you can either run it with preset perameters or you can totally costomize the gameplay but writing your own scripts for it. (Scripts can be used for A.I, level entities etc...). You can import your own media and room segments and introduce many interesting physics to your game.
Note: you can only create fps' with this software nothing else. Oh and the source for the fpsc's runtime is found with dark basic pro.

Good points
Supurb quality games are created for some what little effort.
Games can be totally costomized through scripting.
Amazing physics are included with the program.

Bad points
Main menus are a little basic (No save or load game options)
Can be slightly buggy at times

I would recommend this software to anybody and everybody(unless you cant afford it) it really is a great piece of software.

Follow this post to find the software that would suit you best (I recommend ticking off the bullet points that describe you best and then finding the software that has the most ticks)

I hope this came in handy to any of you that are planning on buying any of the mentioned programs.

If there is anything I have left out or anything I have got wrong please tell me. Software additions are very welcome

Cheers

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 01:25
This might spare us for a lot of "DbC vs. DbPro" threads. Nice.

Quote: "I would recommend this software(FPSC .-Me) to anybody and everybody(unless you cant afford it) it really is a great piece of software."

Yes, anybody and everybody that doesn't want to write code...

And you do mention it yourself, but I started programming by buying DbPro, and I don't think that it's any harder to learn than DbC, and it might make a better impression on newbies(you know, things like the IDE... It sucks in DbC! ).

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 14:36 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 14:39
Hi

Thanks for the input.

Could you please refraze the last bit please.

Quote: "And you do mention it yourself, but I started programming by buying DbPro, and I don't think that it's any harder to learn than DbC, and it might make a better impression on newbies(you know, things like the IDE... It sucks in DbC! ).
"

It is a little tuff to understand (it might just be my bad reading)

p.s I would recommend the FPS creator to coders aswell as it incoorperates scripting and can produce outstanding results.

Cheers

BM

smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 15:05
he means the IDE in darkbasic classic is really horrible to look at (but u just find yourself using darkedit) and don't forget to mention the fact that darkbasic pro has directx 9 support

life's one big game
spec= 1.6ghz, 512mb ram, 128mb gpu, directx 9.0c, dbpro and classic
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 15:25
Ok a havew edited the article with good and bad points please read through and tell me what you guys think.

Cheers

BM

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 17:06
anybody got any more comments to make?

BM

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 23:33
Maybe not

jacko boy
Years of Service
User Offline
thanx big man!
you saved me alot of money.

Blood isnt real...
only the pain you suffer from losing it is...
Whirlwind
Years of Service
User Offline
DBPro includes the source for the runtime of FPSC.

FPSC sometimes gets a bit buggy, but still is a decent program to launch into DBPro/game making.

FPSC can be scripted as needed.
Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
I still think that FPSC is not to the same level as DBP because even with scripting you cant do nearly as much with it as with DBP.
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 02:12
Sorry must've been tired when I wrote that...

Quote: "And you do mention it yourself, but I started programming by buying DbPro, and I don't think that it's any harder to learn than DbC, and it might make a better impression on newbies(you know, things like the IDE... It sucks in DbC! )."

I mean that DBC is not easier to learn than DBPro. DBPro just have more advanced features, but you don't have to use them. And if you don't, then it's as simple as DBC. And the thing with the IDE in DBC: I meant that the standard IDE is horrible. I never bought DBC myself, and I'm glad that I didn't.

I hope my words make sense now!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
You can't please everyone by pointing out the options. They are going to be related to your own point of view.

I prefer the DBC default editor to Dark Edit. I prefer it to DB Pro editor as well.

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 03:25
Quote: "I prefer the DBC default editor to Dark Edit. I prefer it to DB Pro editor as well."

Well, that's also related to your own point of view. So what? Newcomers might be able to use that statement(along with the rest of the thread) to make their own decisions.

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 16:28
thanks for your input I will make any ajustments.

Cheers

BM

Flubber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 23:04
Pincho Paxton Wrote:
I prefer the DBC default editor to Dark Edit. I prefer it to DB Pro editor as well.
I thought it was interesting when I hadn't learned anything about coding at all. But after using tons of expensive ink cartridges I took a long look at Darkedit. I can't even begin to understand how you people can code without the uses of Type & EndType. That's like going back to the stone age. You have to use ten arrays to to
to accomplish what you could do in 1 Type array. If dbpro doen'st have Type and end type I'm not even going to look at it. You'd have to be a mensus genius to write any usable program without Types?

I'm 75 years old and as sharp as the head end of a Tack!
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 02:52
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 14:10 Edited at: 14th Apr 2006 14:12
I have read hundreds of code snippets on here, and hardly any contain Types. I use them in VB sometimes.

But I don't think that Dark Edit has types anyway, so how does that relate to my post?

The editor isn't the language, it's the GUI style, and use.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2006 06:31
Pincho: They are slow and generated before sent to the DBC interperter but yes, DarkEDIT has support for TYPES.

Why make sense when you could make brownies?
FPS Fighter
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that that programming with DBP because it more powerful spacialy when we add or use dll files
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2006 14:44
A note about DLL's has been added.

Cheers

BM

FPS Fighter
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Big Man your avatar is beautiful what do you think about my avatar is ?
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2006 19:21 Edited at: 17th Apr 2006 17:13
Quote: "Thank you Big Man your avatar is beautiful what do you think about my avatar is ?"

Yeah yours is pretty cool.

The reason I chose mine is because there are loads of cat avatars on the forum so I thought I might stir things up.

But you do have a pretty good avatar there

Cheers

BM

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 17:13
Is there anything else I can add to this artical? (If that is what you want to call it.)

BM

FPS Fighter
Years of Service
User Offline
No more !
I wana ask u something do u have any experience in Multiplayer with BDP !
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 19:53 Edited at: 18th Apr 2006 20:06
No I dont have experience but I can try to figure it out (no promises).

Why?

I might add a section to each peice of software on what you can and cant do with it. What do you think.

BM

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 17:08
hi

I really dont want this to just die cause i feel it could be really useful to newcomers who want to start making games.

BM

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 19:43
oh come on

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2006 03:28 Edited at: 5th May 2006 03:29
I dont quite see the need, anyone that's interested in figuring out which is better can easily look at the program's respective page on this site, and since it takes newcommer's about a year just to realize that the stickies are actually there for a reason I doubt this will lessen the amount of posts asking about the topic.

There's also the point that you're describing each program from your own opinion, for example I'd recommend DBP for people new to programming over DBC since theres more commands to make things easier, better support for newer features, and heck, chances are they'll upgrade to DBP eventually so why not spring for it in the first place.

Im not trying to put the thread down but you've basically given a brief summary of 4 of the main programs sold on this site from your own opinion, and highlighted the obvious aspects of each utility. Not really "sticky" worthy if you ask me (though that might be a good thing, you may get more views this way )

- RUC'

Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "newcommer's about a year just to realize that the stickies are actually there"

Thats because over half the newcomers are 4 years old...nd nt sp3ll v3ry W3l and thus cant read well either....

But really, you should include other languages that darkbasic has to compete with.
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2006 06:54 Edited at: 5th May 2006 06:55
hey Big Man

here's my input: (DBPro can do these, but DBC can't)

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "But really, you should include other languages that darkbasic has to compete with."

On a DB site you would not be likely to advertise another language. C++ what I mean?

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2006 21:25
thanks underworld I will start to put them in.

anyway hows it hanging havent seen you in a while do you remember my first post which you so kindly helped with. You really set me up to really learning how to program so thanks.

BM

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 13:07
Quote: "9. registry access
10. exe's can accept command-line input with CL$() command"

both of these are wrong, registry access, OK - requires the enhancement pack. CL$() has been in DB Classic since the start
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 14:25
oh right I wont add those then.

BM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 23:32:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 23:32:49