Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / TGA Textures and 3DS Max question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 03:09
I am trying to import a 3D model of a television in 3DS Max 8 into FPSC. I can export the model as an X file with Panda. I am using the FPS Creator Entity Maker to create the object, but I get stuck when it asks for a TGA rexture file. My model is fully textured in 3DS Max, but when I export, there is only an X file.

Is there a way to export a TGA file from a 3DS model?
Lightning Bolt Studios
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 19:12 Edited at: 12th Apr 2006 02:19
You have to tell FPSC what texture map to use, FPSC's game engine looks at .fpe file for the texture map to use on your model, and the texture needs to be in the same folder as the model (.X) file, that is why when your using the FPSC entity maker it ask's you what image to use for your model becuase you are creating the .fpe file for your model when your running FPSC entity maker, thats what the program does it makes .fpe files for your models among other thing so they will be FPSC ready, your can also buy ESC pro ($5.00) or Magic FPS($14.95) they do the same thing as FPSC enity maker but are alot easier to use and have a GUI. and have more features also

http://www.uberdroid.com/fastfps/

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/ecspro.html

as far as the tga file its just a image format like .jpeg or bitmap ,gif etc. you can use photo shop or paint shop pro to convert the image map to a .tga image file, there is a freeware converter at the link below that will convert between images formats it works very well its call DDS converter 2.1

http://files.filefront.com/dds+converter+v21/;3829638;;/fileinfo.html

Good...Bad...but I'm the guy with the GUN!
Support your local Riker 9 Chapter
Walking Dead Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 21:14
Sorry for sounding dumb, I am very new to modeling. I watched the tutorial on how to rig a character and I have successfully rigged a couple of characters from models I downloaded from free 3D model sites.

My characters are fully textured in 3DS, but when I export them into .X and try to use them with FPSC, I can only use one texture for them. How do I create, say, a .dds file that can be used by FPSC to texture my model exactly the way it was textured in 3Ds Max? (see attached image)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lightning Bolt Studios
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 23:41 Edited at: 12th Apr 2006 02:18
If your models has more than one texture map you are going to have to combine them into one texture map using a photo editing program like photo shop etc. then your going to have to add a uvw map modifier to the stack then a UVW uwrap modifier to the stack in max then remap your model again using the new texture map for your model so it only has one texture map not muiltiple ones the game engine is set up for only one texture map for each model.
however I have gotten FPSC to use muiltiple texures on a single model by creating a .fpe file with all the information for the model(.X) placed in the .fpe file except for the reference for the texture I left it blank and put all the texture file in the same folder as the model (.x) file and the game engine loaded the right textures for the model, only problem was on the game build they would not show up,
you can use a .fpe file from a simular model also just pick one in your entitiy bank folder copy and paste it into a new folder in your entity bank folder ,Example car folder name inside the car folder you would put your model (.x) file the all the textures for your model,(important you must leave the texture names for your texture the same as they were in max or else the model will not be able to find them the model looks for the same name texture file that were placed on it in max), your .fpe file needs to be there also along with a 64x64 pixel bitmap for your model icon that is displayed in FPSC map editor window to the left of the screen, another thing FPSC will automatically create a .dds file along with a .bin file the first time you select your model form the entity bank from the map editor, so you don't have to create a dds file.

your can use dds converter to change textures formats from jpeg to dds or dds to bmp or bmp to tga,

Good...Bad...but I'm the guy with the GUN!
Support your local Riker 9 Chapter

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 06:31:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 06:31:42