Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / dbpro-making objects and sounds and stuff.....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 03:48
okay can you make an object using dbpro? i want to make a tank, so should i make a rectangle for the main base, and four rotated squares to make it look like
/ \
\____/
kind of like that, then make two cylindars right and left, a square ontop, a circle with a long cylinday leading out of it, then limb them all together? Is it possible to make sounds using dbpro? textures? can you animate an object using dbpro?

unrelated stuff- how do you make ai that doesnt use states. Im making an up to two player tank game. I was planning to make it on one keyboard but how would i go about making direct x? how do you make impassible terrain? how do you use heightmaps? to move your guy up and down on the terrain do you just position the y at total terrain height???
alot of question but who cares? while im at it- what is the meaning of life and how much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

parrot
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 05:13

Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 05:27 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 18:12
okay let me use bullets and organize it... lol

okay, i want to make two player tank game, and i want to know about how to make sounds and images/textures and models, and if it has to do with memblocks

okay can you make an object using dbpro? i want to make a tank, so should i make a rectangle for the main base, and four rotated squares to make it look like
/-----\
\____/
kind of like that, a square ontop, a circle with a long cylindar leading out of it, then limb them all together?
Is it possible to make sounds using dbpro?
textures?
can you animate an object using dbpro?

unrelated stuff- how do you make ai that doesnt use states.
[ I was planning to make it on one keyboard but how would i go about making direct connect?
how do you make impassible terrain?
how do you use heightmaps?
to move your guy up and down on the terrain do you just position the y at total terrain height???

alot of question but who cares? while im at it- what is the meaning of life and how much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

[edit] i changed them from skulls. I know theyre supposed to be cds but they look like doughnuts to me! yumm

parrot
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 08:46 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 08:52
if the woodchuck was bombarded with 1/2 the questions you just asked it would chuck 1 piece of wood, make a baseball bat out of it, then hit you over the head with it

the answers to your questions on sound, images, textures, models, memblocks, animations, direct connect (networking/online play?), impassable terrain, heightmaps, player movement and the (very) few aspects of DBP programming you missed are all answered somewhere on these forums.

2 good places to start are:

and

who knows, you MIGHT even find the meaning of life buried somewhere here!

and a quick bit of advice: try to find some of it out on your own. if you get confused at some point, feel free to ask, but you'll get nowhere fast with the "i'd like to know everything now" approach. even if you had said "please" in there somewhere.

good luck.

oh, and the Skullets didn't help.

Virtual Nomad
Athlon XP1800+, Windows XP+SP2, Soyo K7V Dragon+ MB, 1.5Gb 333 RAM, ATI Radeon 8700LT (128Mb)
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 18:07 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 18:08
k, ty. I still dont get about the making objects, non-state ai,impassible terrain,heightmaps and moving ur guy up and down.
I know that making sounds and images is possible but i have no idea how......... o rite, Please
also i will get rid of the skullets

parrot
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 21:06
I think what he's trying to say is that you can't expect us to sit and explain all this. Their is a tutorial that comes with your software, so read it do it and learn from it. Then if you get stuck you may return for some advice. Their are also hundreds of examples and tutorials you could be sifting through.

This isn't something you can jump straight into either. You have to learn your way up. That's all i'm going to say.

O btw you cant just generate sounds randomly using a programming language, that's just not possible. MEDIA which is the word referring to sounds pictures and objects is acquired outside db. If you get a copy of darkmatter that comes with pre made objects (incuding a pretty good tank ready textured and rigged) tank for you to start off with. I think theirs some basic sound effects that come with db in the media folder.

But as you become more advanced you will pick up sofware and skills to allow you to be more original with your media.

Until your up the ladder, the only emoticon you should ever use is a big smiley face, because it is out of our own graciousness that we choose to help you.

As for the last question, what xactly do you mean by make direct x? Microsoft have beaten you to that.

And dont ever use aggressive emoticons when your requesting help. just use big smiley faces and lots of pleases and thank you's

C.Watson
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 21:50
so if i need to do that where do i get started? n that was a typ-o i meant 2 say direct connect but ive figured that out.

k thats just a quick code i did. I made a mouse and a icon but i cant get the mouse to work. Whenever i put the sprite command in a loop, the screen just turns up blue, but the mouse works.

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 02:15
*chirp chirp*

parrot
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2006 02:59 Edited at: 12th Apr 2006 03:15
Sorry pal, been busy burying my grandad.

Is it just me or is that loop incomplete, hmm it all seems a bit fuzzy to my eyes, i cant see a main loop anywhere, Anyway.
Why dont you tell me what you want your program to do and i'll see if i can explain the correct way

I dont wanna nag you too much. But theirs a few other pointers i should teach you.

Program Formatting:
1) add comments at every point of your program so you and anyone helping you can understand what it does. comments are added by typing rem or ` and then adding text after it, the rem command tells the compiler that the following text is for the the programmers eyes and isnt a command.

2) indent- ie
do
(something)
loop

Now sense im prodominantly a programmer you should have a hunt through the tutorials and maybe browze the other forums like the model and media folder. But dont bombard them with questions.

C.Watson
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2006 04:49
Quote: ""whenever i put the sprite command in a loop""

meaning whenever, as in when. as in its not in rite now
as in

and yes i know there are parameters. also i know the blue screen isnt backdrop, i put the backdrop off command in the beginning and same thing happened. also can i get some more help with the questions at the top? speaking of which- i know now its impossible to make sounds from dbpro. But in the completed games section theres a game with no media and it has textures and a rolling plains landscape with water in it..... it also has models that are animated, although that may just be using the rotate and offset limb commands. also i dont get the limbing things together. the offset limb command- does it move the limb x y z or does it rotate it from the attatched point? if that makes ne sense

parrot
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2006 17:19
i thought your game was in 3d. Why r u starting with sprites? Why r you using a blank sprite command? Anyway this is commonly known as the blue screen syndrome theirs a tutorial for this in the tutorial downloads section so get reading because sprites are now treated as 3d objects for some reason.

Explain what your doing with your program anyway.

Anyway im sorry i ment to say you cant make sounds in db pro but you can create objects and images but it is extremely difficult if youve never worked in 3d before. Your better to start with pre made media or get your hands on some editting software. Like i say im not a media expert

C.Watson
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 04:16
Quote: "yes i know there are parameters"

im srry i thot i said it butim making an intro 4 my tank game. also ive made part of my tank game but i cant get it to work.

i cant get the cannon shot to delete when it is within 50 distance of an enemy, and the enemy "ai" doesnt work. also im really a noob 2 these forums and what do u mean by tut downloads section? neway the models i want 2 make rnt 2 complex, just a box, with a sphere in the middle and a cylindar coming out of the sphere
_\^_
[___]
best comp drawing i could do, btw ^ is the part that the cylindar comes out of. Except i dont know how to do that.
to move your guy up and down on the terrain do you just position the y at total terrain height???
the offset limb command- does it move the limb x y z or does it rotate it from the attatched point?

parrot
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 14:05
Before you post again you should:

A:Read the tutorials on the darkbasic hompegae under tutorials in the left sidebar

B: fix your formatting

Cwatson

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 21:32:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 21:32:47