Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Firelizard (initial screens)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 10:31 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 10:33
I had an idea for a semi-original game concept not too long ago so I dusted off the old level from AXeS and reworked it with DBP a bit.

The idea is to have an action / strategy game that pits a dragon vs. human opponents (pretty sure there will be a princess in there somewhere of course! )

I don't want to give too much else away about the idea for now, but here are some screenshots of what I've been working on so far.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 10:32 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 10:34
A bit of a placeholder model for the dragon here.

Attachments

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 10:37
looks relly nice!, sun flare could do with work tho, the rest is nice ,

and if you dont mind me asking how exactly are you handling your multi texture terrain?.

Halowed are the ori.
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 10:45 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 10:50
It's a tiled DB matrix. The same level that I used in Axes of Evil, but with more detail since it's being rendered in DBP. I am also using a geo-mipmap, for LOD on the terrain, in the form of a memblock mesh that lies beneath the DB matrix and is greyed out in the distance.. I'll take a screenshot of that and post in a few minutes so you can see what I mean.

As for the sun / lensflare; it looks better in action because the glow expands and rotates as the sun nears the center of the screen. I wanted to try something different than the boring standard lensflare approach you see everywhere.

Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 11:08 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 11:09
Landscape LOD pt. 1

Attachments

Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 11:09 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 11:10
Landscape LOD pt. 2

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 11:43 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 11:43
looking good. if i could make 'place-holders' like that, i'd be pretty happy right now

when do we get to see it BREATHE?

gonna be able to get the FPS up some?

Virtual Nomad
Athlon XP1800+, Windows XP+SP2, Soyo K7V Dragon+ MB, 1.5Gb 333 RAM, ATI Radeon 8700LT (128Mb)
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 12:12

Looking awesome, man! But will you be able to increase the fps?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 13:01
Nice stuff, the FPS looks a little low, but that might not be because of the programming but the PC, I mean thats how it is for me

K I changed my name into a famous Samurai, but meh! Seppuku got boring after a while
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 13:53 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 13:55
I didn't mean the 'place holder' was a bad model, I just meant that the actual dragon model should be more menacing and have.. err.. legs. Also, I can't take credit for it, it was made by Ipakagun, as were many of the other models there.

As for the FPS, I don't know if I'll be able to squeeze anymore out, especially after I start adding many of the other elements. But I have to say the controls and game, as they are designed, run very smoothly at 20+ FPS. My system is not exactly top of the line: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.05 GHz) and a Radeon x700 Pro.

I don't want to set any timeline for a demo because there are alot of things I still want to add before a release.

Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
that looks really good, well done, you've evidently put alot of work into it.

impressive stuff
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 14:49
Hey Dave long time no chat. I whipped the old Axes of Evil exe it and playd it again The opening gituar solo got me going again

Nice to see your move to Dbpro, as i have always seen you as the best coder i know in dbpro. Ahhh for the heady days of XY and DBC.

Once again, its nothing new to see, but it does look a lot sharper in dbpro. Maybe some shaders for the water? and implement that grass system you were working on about 4 years ago lol.

Anyway, good to see you still churning out the games.

Regards
Greelig(aka zac)

Aust. Convention...get there!! http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=38799&b=2&p=1
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 17:06
Hello Yarbles. I'd have to say, this game has the most potential to it than any other game on the forums. I am truly surprised and amazed. I am Xenocythe, working on an MMORPG under partly secret construction, but the old news is still in the WIP board under the thread 'Kaos Realm Online'. I am also working on a project called 'FireScript'. Its many different methods of fire with 3D sound and each fire only takes up 2 polys. The fires are animated, check it out.

Now what I really want to know, is if I can join the team, wether or not you have one. I would really love to help on this project. My specialties are : Modelling, UV Mapping, Animation, Programming.
I can work on code for the fire breathing of the dragon, I can make you models of monsters or something for the game. I just really want this project to go up in the best, and not fall to peices. It truly looks incredible, and very well put together.

E-mail : rpgmakerx2@hotmail.com
MSN : kronosdarkbasic@hotmail.com

P.S. I really suggest a distance function for raising the FPS!

"Forgiveness is a good thing"
"Forgiveness is between them, and God. I set up the meeting"
-Man on Fire
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 18:11
wow, very cool game!

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 18:21
Hey, great to see you back around Yarbles. Axes of Evil had to be one of the biggest games I downloaded back in the day, and it's still considered top-notch around here.

Visually, this project is looking quite impressive so far. The concept as well sounds quite exciting. I can't wait to see more of this. Keep up the good work.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 18:23
Can we have a sticky here please

Theme park simulator wip

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hello Yarbles. I'd have to say, this game has the most potential to it than any other game on the forums"

i agree.. v. nice work

although the fps is v. small =/

MyNewSite:http://gogetax.com
Forums(About BLO and more):http://gogetax.com/forum
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 18:26
Damn that looks amazing! Can't wait to see it in action!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 19:20
That town looks like Axes of Evil... cool game!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 19:26
Lol, he even said that he took it from Axes of Evil. I'm pretty sure he made it, if not, who cares- it looks brilliant!

"Forgiveness is a good thing"
"Forgiveness is between them, and God. I set up the meeting"
-Man on Fire
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 20:03
Terrain and buildings looking great!

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 23:37
I'll second what everybody else says...

The graphics look very cool, and I can't wait to see a video! Not to mention even trying a demo...

Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 05:42
Thanks for all the positive comments guys!

lol Zac, I don't remember ever working on a grass system. Glad to see somebody is still playing Axes though. Nice to see you around here again btw.

I played around with improving performace a bit and if I reduce the matrix size and screen resolution I can get it to go at 35+ FPS, but it looks soooo much better with the greater veiw distance and resolution that I'm willing to live with FPS in the 20s for the extra eye candy! I can also reduce detail and special effects to improve fps, but I'll work on scalability like that later when it's closer to being ready for release.

Xenocythe, I'm not looking for any help on this project yet, but I'll let you know in the future.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 10:56
i didn't realize how good th etown looked in axes.. very nice stuff.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great

The admiral
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 14:36
for the water im gussing your just duplicating everything and flipping it, which isnt such a bad method but it would be beter to lower texture detail on the duplicated meshes and things as your basically rendering everything 2 times so if you optimized that you could easily get 50% more fps.

Halowed are the ori.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It all looks cool so far. I like the village. Mountains, and lakes are pretty good. The trees could do with... I don't know, they don't match somehow. Trees are hard to get right.

jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 21:34
As always Yarbles, amazing.

Tinnedhead Productions

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 06:26
That's really pretty.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 07:44 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 19:29
Looks very nice, although I hope you'll be making some environments specifically for this game eventually.

Can't wait to hear more about the game- what you've told us so far is very interesting.

Edit: What happened to Axes of Evil anyways?

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2006 06:10
what did you use to make the terrain.

visit my site (unfinished)
www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2006 10:00
A little more information about this..

I'm now getting 35-50 fps after getting rid of the reflection plane which was dropping my performance by almost half. The water looks almost as good without it.

I'm working on the editor for this right now, I realize without a decent editor to make the levels this game is dead in the water, so that is my priority for now.

Now for some questions.

Quote: "What happened to Axes of Evil anyways?"

Not much, I tried to port to DBPro after the demo was released a couple of years ago, but had too many problems with the state of DBP at the time (I'm sure I could port it fairly easily now though). After that I stopped working with DB because I was playing to much WoW .

Now I've cut down on my WoW addiction and am back at coding DB in my spare time and had the idea for Firelizard, which seems alot more original than Axes of Evil, so I will be working on that instead.

Quote: "what did you use to make the terrain."

I used a matrix, with a heightmap I imported from Terragen. Look here for a code snippet of it:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=77021&b=6

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2006 15:44
Hey dave,

I remember asking you ages(ie years) ago what you were doing after XY and you mentioned something about opengl and a grass system you were implimenting into a a game you and someone were making...or maybe he made it. Anyway its irrelevant

Looks great.

Keep it up mate

Aust. Convention...get there!! http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=38799&b=2&p=1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 12:30:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 12:30:18