Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / First Person Pong (Very Basic)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2006 02:51 Edited at: 12th Apr 2006 02:54
After a lot of work, questions, and noob mistakes Im ready to release the first game I've made with DBP. Even though I called it First Person Pong I know its not really like pong at all, its just that that title popped into my mind and made me think of the concept. I know that at this time its very basic but I plan on using this game as a testbed for other features I want to learn about, so I will be updating it and making it better. Big thanks to all the people who anwsered my endless noob questions and thanks to Goldeneye for helping me with the screen flash.

As I know this isn't exactly going to be a best seller Im going to make it into a tutorial series. Right now Im not sure if Im going to write them as I go or release all the code at the end and explain the code/ the dev process.

Controls

Move the box with your mouse to block the spheres from hitting the screen

Up Arrow/Down Arrow to change the speed the spheres fly at

Post any bugs or problems you encounter. I love constructive criticism, what I dont like is "OMG n00b game its not half-life 5bazillon !!!!111one" Anyways, Enjoy!

http://nygerman.googlepages.com/fpp.exe
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2006 21:23
Ok, you joined March, 25th 2006, and if you've used DbPro for just as long, then writing a tutorial might not be the best idea. You ain't even got 20 days experience with the language...

On to the game. When you die, pressing the Space-key doesn't exit the game, as the onscreen information says it will. Just a minor problem you might want to fix. The game is not like anything I've played before(definitely not pong! ), and it is actually quite interesting - for the first few seconds. After I understood what the game was about, it was just too easy. Maybe the delay on the ball should decrease to make it harder and harder.

But for a newcomer, this game is very good! Interesting and different gameplay(although repetitive and easy). I'm sure you could evolve this game into something more interesting! Good work.

Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
After you die it says press escape to exit and enter to play again and both work. As for writing a tutorial, I know Im not experienced with DBP but I have programmed in other languages so I may be a step ahead of the average newbie.
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 01:39 Edited at: 13th Apr 2006 01:41
I downloaded the game. When I run it the "DarkBASIC Professional Trial Version" screen pops up, then it exits out and nothing happens. I just tried all my other DB stuff and they work fine, so I think its something on you end.

As for the tutorial, I think it's a good idea because you'll end up with a better product. If you do it "as you go" it will be best because you'll have to create, study, and then explain your own code. So if the code you create isn't "good" or doesn't make sense you'll know right away. Also in the tutorial you can explain why you did something, and some problems you encountered, and how you over came them. Anyways I think its a good idea .

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 02:03
Quote: "After you die it says press escape to exit and enter to play again and both work. "

Sorry, apparently I just didn't read it!

Quote: "As for writing a tutorial, I know Im not experienced with DBP but I have programmed in other languages so I may be a step ahead of the average newbie."

Then I agree with Underworld. But if you were 100% newbie... Well... I wish you good luck with the game and the tutorial!

Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
@underworld I compiled it with the DBP Trial version, just waiting for the cash to buy the full thing. That probably has something to do with it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 12:23:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 12:23:09