Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / map builder for ascii export.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 21:54
If youve seen the huge dungeons demo then you'll understand what my programs for.

This lets you plan a maze and then save it in ascii. This program might appear finish but all it does so far id plan the space. It dosnt do start points or monsters yet, but that's just because i want to know if people are interested in it yet before i spend any more time time on it. I was hoping it might get used to replace the editor that comes with the huge dungeons tutorial once its finished as it gives you control.

Also at the moment the map is restricted to 240,70, which youll agree is a bit irregular but i am working on this.

Cwatson

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 23:45
Screens?

Theme park simulator wip

tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 00:26 Edited at: 14th Apr 2006 01:40
How do you get screens onto the post, ive made a screenshot.

edit
@tinker girl: thanks for the pointers and the encouragement.

Cwatson
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 00:39 Edited at: 16th Apr 2006 01:30
Nvm didn't see the post above

Theme park simulator wip

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 01:09
Make sure the screenshot is something nice and not a bitmap - jpegs are good, png's aren't bad either.
Then, either upload it to somewhere like photobucket for free, or attach it to your post (using the upload button). If you put it in photobucket, put a link in your original post (as an edit) and all will be well.

Good luck improving your utility.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 17:15
Quote: "png's aren't bad either."

PNGs are as bad as BMPs.

Quirky utility here.

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 04:52
How are PNGs bad? Their cross platform (i beleive), and their more clear then jpeg! Besides that, you can put them on the psp for viewing later. Whats everyones problem with BMP format either? IE and Firefox can both view them, so WTF?

Sorry if that "offends" anyone.

Wait go back a second. Free donuts?! You are a god!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 13:53
Quote: "Sorry if that "offends" anyone."

I'm so offended I press the red button and went crying to my mummy, you 're so... whats the crappy word? ...'owned'

This looks pretty kewl, jpgs are good for online screenshots, they just only really lose quality when put through paint, as for png's, they can be bigger in size, but keep the bmp quality and have transparency which makes them better for sigs/avatars, but being bigger in size take longer to load which winds people up who have a slow internet connection

Yey! I removed the sig...
A Llama called Dalai
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 15:10 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 15:29
Man what have i started, i go away for a few days, i come back and i find out my wip has started war of the formats. Lol i only wanted to know how to pin up a screenshot.

Well im glad you seem to like the little bit ive done so far and i havent had any flames yet . But im not sure if the purpose of this utility is being carried across. The thing is you can draw huge maze style levels quickly and optimize them so that only a small portion of the map exists so as not to overflow ram.
But obviously loading them back isnt as easy. But i'll keep you posted anyway. I might see if i can put together a function to load the the map straight into games. But i'll keep you thoroughly posted.

edit: you could atleast flame me or something, i want to know what people think.

Cwatson
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 00:49
Abandoned due to lack of interest

Cwatson
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 03:26
And that sir, is your first flaw. Get rid of that attitude or you'll soon go down like the rest of em'.

tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 19:28 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2006 19:31
Ok i'll finish this project if it'll get you off my back, but atleast try out the demo and tell me what you honestly think.

edit: if i thought anyone was interested in using this then i'd finish it in a hearthbeat.

Cwatson
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 20:13
Quote: "PNGs are as bad as BMPs."

thats the most offensive text ive ever read on these forums.

Halowed are the ori.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 00:08
Sizewize, pngs suck just as bad as bmps, but qualitywise, pngs roxxorz.

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 00:22
On another off topic note, png's also have an alpha layer, so they can do transparency.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 01:23
Quote: "Sizewize, pngs suck just as bad as bmps, but qualitywise, pngs roxxorz."

No. Pretty much all a PNG is, is a compressed BMP.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe) - 71%
Download the free version
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 01:27
Yeah png's are wonderful but what do you think of my project.

Cwatson
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 01:27
Btw a png is a compressed bitmap with an alpha layer. Those 2 points alone surely stand for something no

Btw i'd really appreciate some feedback on this project. I thought it would be great way to easily layout maps for rpg's and fps's, I could adapt it pending some feedback. Come on you flamed me for ditching the project, what do you think i should do next.

They have the internet on computers now
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
change your avatar because it doesn't half annoy me

and try to decide what to do next on your own, what direction do you think it should go in?!

:: 3Ghz Pentium 4 / Hyper Threading, 1024mb RAM, 250GB HDD, 256mb Radeon 9600XT Graphics ::

tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 03:07
Quote: "change your avatar because it doesn't half annoy me"

Tuff.My spiderman pyjama's dont fit me anymore so tuff

Quote: "and try to decide what to do next on your own, what direction do you think it should go in?!"

I'm asking for comments and suggestions, what exactly is the point in this forum.

They have the internet on computers now
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 03:46
I guess i will respond to the posed question.

Bitmaps Rule !!!!!!

Actually Tiffer I tried the editor and it is ok, what i would like to see is a brush palette so it will save different values into the file for say, different textures or tiles. It looks to me like it would be more useful for 2d maps over 3d in that it seems tile based. Other than that a good start keep up the work let me see more.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 04:01
I think he want's you to change your avatar because there was a noob that used it before. You'll get better feedback if you change it.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 15:48
ok i've changed my avatar. I see what you mean about the brush, it's a pain having to build it square by square. I'll add that in plus a few other things as soon as i get a spare minute.

Cwatson
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
it was hard to read his posts while watching homer simpson repeatedly hitting his head on thin air.

this looks good, i'll try it later

:: 3Ghz Pentium 4 / Hyper Threading, 1024mb RAM, 250GB HDD, 256mb Radeon 9600XT Graphics ::

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:18:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:18:47