Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Polygon Compatibility

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How many polygons, per let's say for a Weapon can de FPSC Engine handle?

HL2 handles up to like 6000 polygons for a weapon. Like the SMG, for example. And as for enemies.. the headcrab is about 3000 polygons.

So I'd like to know how much 'graphical beauty' this engine can take?

Specialized in: 3D Studio Max 8 (with SP2).
Owned Products: 1. 3D Studio Max 8 (With Service Pack 2) 2. All 3D Total Textures Volumes. 3. All Evermotion Products.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Many of the Half Life 2 models have different levels of detail though. Lower poly versions are swapped in dynamically by the engine as player distance increases. I would assume the headcrab would be no exception, 3000 seems like an awful lot for something like headcrab...unless it is jumping at your face...

I don't know about the weapons in FPSC, I could take a look at one and let you know the poly count, maybe someone else will give you the answer before I get to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 22:00
As far as I can recall the WW2 sniper rifle has the heaviest polycount at around 3000. Characters go from about 1000 to 2000.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2006 05:30
Quote: "So I'd like to know how much 'graphical beauty' this engine can take?
"

triangles arent beautiful

i would agree with bond1, this is done in alot of games, especially ones with vast terrain, such as FarCry, where the detail, is only where the player is, so your statistics could very well be wrong.

polygons arent the answer to everything, for instance, in UnrealEngine 3 tests, they were making 1 million+ polygon models and exporting the normal maps onto a much lower few 1000 polygon model, giving it the effect that it looks like an extremelly detailed model. Let this be a note to yourself, you can often fake visual beauty in the texture, that is why shaders exist

-Jon

RedCore Software + Design, Click on image to go to My website.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 06:28:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 06:28:23