Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Making A 2D Platform Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, Im new to DB and i was wondering if someone could tell me of a tutorial about making a 2D platform game, im planning to make a mario-type game, any tutorials/guides would help greatly!
Thanks.
BaZko
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe you should learn how to use the language first. Im not sure if their is a tutorial specifically for this, but Im sure you could put it together if you studied the 2d functions.

Laak
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, it would help if you figured out some basic stuff first, but there are some things you may want to consider when making 2d platform games.

`possibly externally created terrain written in a .dat file
`cloned sprites for tile terrain and blocks
`external loading for AI of computer characters

this is just some stuff i have been contemplating. but i recommend just messing around with easy stuff first
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2006 17:05
It may sound strange but when I made a 2D platformer I made it in 3D! I found it easier with animations and collision. It ended up being 2D in gameplay but 3D in graphics. If you are happy to go with this idea then let me know and I'll try and help a bit more.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 01:59
there is a great 2d shoot em up tutorial on the 2d forum stickyed at the top

http://www.ebaumsworldsucks.com/(not my site or my movie)
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 23:02 Edited at: 20th Apr 2006 23:07
To make a mario-style game you really need to learn how arrays work, especially mutlidimesional arrays.

You will need arrays to for

The character animation.
And the platform levels.
Scrolling the tileset background.
collision detection
etc...

I am thinking about coding a 1 level mario game. Just so people can understand the basics. it will be a part of my tutorial in the 2d All the way section (that I have taken a long break from). It will fit in right before the map making program. You'll see it becomes a pain to hardcode all of your levels, triggers, exits, entrances, enemie positions and AI, etc... without first writing a map making tool that lets you create these things visually and then adjusts the multidimensional arrays accordingly. One level is not a big deal. But larger more complex levels can become wuite difficult.

The catch is... it's hard to code your own map maker, and tile world editor, if you don't understand how to hard code it first.

While going over my tutorial i saw that I left this part out. I also left the people follwoing the tutorial, without any reward for what they had learned in the beginning. So now, realizing this, I am going to code a 1 level mario-like game and stuff it in beofre tha mapmaker part.

That will allow everyone to at least see how it's done. And then gain the confidence and excitement to continue on in learning how to make a tool to create the levels, rather than just typing in tons of numbers into the arrays.

I'll post back later tonight with the results and if you want to get a headstart check out my tutorial.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=34076&b=4

Btw are you using DB classix or Pro?

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 06:29
Ok, I began the process of converting my 2drpg code to a Mario-like sidescroller. I'll post the code that I have so far, but be aware this is very early in the conversion process and note that the movement code will change. Boundaries are not checked yet, but the basic framework is there. I will also need to change how far Vario (which is what I called this project) moves per animation frame. In the next few days I'll map out mostg of level 1. Add the remaining animation for Vario, including jumping, swimming, punching, Super-Vario, Fiery Vario, skidding climbing, crouching etc.. as well as add enemies, blocks, coins, clouds, etc...

It will look a lot better in a couple of days. But I hope that this rough code will give you an idea of where I am headed.

I'll attach the media files as well, which right now is two bitmap sprite sheets.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 06:30
and here is the Vario animations

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 21:35:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 21:35:46