Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Solar Dominion and Astro Warrior

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 03:52 Edited at: 17th Apr 2006 04:01
OK since my last thread on my games I had a few problems but I have managed to solve a few problems as well namely I can now get a tank or player object to walk across a cyberplanet or sphere

Solved : all joystick controls on both matrix and cyberplanets including straffing getting appened ibjects to do a walking animation on a sphere is more difficult especially in DBC
New website so I can post screenshots up on here for people to see

To do: a.i friendly and enemies this shouldn't be too hard but I won't bet on it as I have to get them to fight each other as well as the player

Worries: Getting the player and a.i pliots to get in and out of vehicles using the Set object orientaiion commands I need the camera to look at the player onlybut want the 3rd person camera to look at the the players tank when in the tanks and at the plyer when out . I have an example of detaching the camera and using that to drop to the player's position but I am not sure wehter it would be good for if on a cyberplanet.

Problems: don't know how to get it to walk across an inported model seems to only work with a sphere around 100 units wide
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 04:05 Edited at: 17th Apr 2006 04:05
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 04:10 Edited at: 17th Apr 2006 04:11

Sorry about this I will fix the width of this picture as soon as I can.
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 04:13 Edited at: 17th Apr 2006 04:13

Sorry another big one this shows the decent onto the planet through the cockpit
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 04:16 Edited at: 17th Apr 2006 04:18

viex of the cyberplanet from the tank cockpit, it is a bit of a boring view I know I need to find a model editor which would allow me to plonk things like Bryce mountains and hills over it for the view to be more excititng
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline

Anthor tank model development shot
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline

Stange blue edge of galaxy
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline

another cyber planet shot hovercraft transport
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline

and the view from the cockpit, I will put up more shots later
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 04:38 Edited at: 17th Apr 2006 04:38

Pharonic Mighty Hover Tank
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline

A Dark Ground bomber tank
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 04:41 Edited at: 17th Apr 2006 04:42
Except the plane and hovercraft models all other models are made by me in DoGa L seires and the planet and flight shots are in DBC Sorry if some of the photos are a little wide
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
The gamse well Solar Dominion I am hoping for ti to be an R.T.S. similair to Battlezone (98_) and Battlzone 2 series where you can fight in varoius tanks including one man hovertanks,Walkers and WarBuggies in the 1st/3rd person and also fly spaceplanes, Astro Warrior is simliar but isn't an R.T,S just fighting with hover tanks hovercraft tanks and Spaceplanes on and between planets
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 09:46
Looks promising, even though all of this could have gone in 1 post. I mean, I looked at the thread and it said 14 posts, and I thought, "Where did that come from? That's what I call quick popularity."

But good work. Nice tanks.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 128MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Want a real FPS? Click here!
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Uncle Sam , LOL I will remember to do that next time
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 18:05
I can't see anything

vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 12:31 Edited at: 18th Apr 2006 12:31
@Zotoaster, the pictures take a while to come down also I am using freewebs so sometimes thier server have a few problems you should be albe to see someting now
tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 19:12
easy on the screenies man

Cwatson
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
HUH????? Yeah OK whatever
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 02:49
Fraps is better for in-game screenshots, and you don't get ugly watermarks on the pictures as far as I know.

Just thought I'd point that out. I'm picky.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 05:46
Quote: "easy on the screenies man"

What do you mean? The more the better!

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 128MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Want a real FPS? Click here!
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
@FoxBlitz oh your picky are you? gonna help with the programming I need ? No , still I now got fraps and the future screenshots "shouldn't have that watermark" on them

and @tiffer better not look at this thread anymore because I am going to put MORE screenies up
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Progress Report, although I have managed to get vehicles and player objects to walk on actual cyber planets rather than just matrixes, I will need to get help to make a level editor that can allow me to really make a planet with caves e.t.c using either heightmaps or get help understanding meshes so I can deform them to the way they need to be deformed for cyberplanet levels.

So I am returning back to the old meshes or with DBP advanced terrain. As I have most things ready I soon hope to get the animantion for spacepilots with possibly plama assault rifles and other weaponry for Astro Warroir and as Solar Domion will be and R.T.S. I will need a little more time in getting this game finished (still need to get the in and out of vehicles for both friendly and enemy vehicles and I would love to use numbers so A.I could identify each other plus need to make a comminications messaging system so I can get the the plyer to command his her army /sqadrons under them
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 05:31
Ummm... why would screenshots need to be captured with anything other than the Print-Scrn button?

To get shots, I run my game in windowed mode, and press Alt+Print-Scrn to my heart's content. I paste them into PSP.

Come see the WIP!
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I used fraps it is quite good and you can make a video with snapshots but Iwill need to pay for that when my credit card is up to date as for me I donm't mind what I use as long as I can get a decent screenshot
gamedude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 03:54 Edited at: 29th May 2006 03:55
well i really like the tank because of the texture. its really detailed or is it just 1 simple army texture.

on Earth im a human
on the moon im a.... forget it
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
ok. I understand the tank, but I don't understand any of the other screens.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 22:28
Its... looking good... the only real screeny fo use is the model of the tank, which you didnt make Anyways im with Curtis, still trying to understand why people dont justuse the print creenbutton on their keyboard.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 22:35
Those 'planets' are more like mini asteroids

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I think some people use Frapps and other programs to take screenies because it automatically saves them for you, and you dont have to do the extra work of pasting, resizing, and saving yourself. Also if you aren't taking shots in windowed mode you'd have to alt-tab out all the time to get a few.

Me though, I just use print screen...

[url=http://www.silver-dawn.net]www.Silver-dawn.net[url]
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
@ RUCCUS I did make that tank and the bomber tank as well LOL
@ UFO The rest of the screenies are of how the game is progressing
@ FOR Gamedude well I just used on of the standard textures from Doga L3 series

@digsy at the moment yes they do look like asteroids which why I would like to get an editor where I can really develop the planets so they look loike planets and not just circular asteroids which is why that is on hold and I am trying to find out how to have a planet model and then when the player is near swa[p it for a matrix with out the player noitcing and still thinking he is on a planet
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes well still having problems as will have to use matrixes for planet sufaces as can't get a big enough sphere and got problems with my PC
Baiame
Years of Service
User Offline
You'll probably have to do some procedural generation for the planets, which I really doubt will be effecient enough in DB.
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 15:34 Edited at: 24th Sep 2006 23:34
procedural generation sorry Baiame you will have to explain what you mean as I am thinking of using a swapping models option using 3d models and matrixes.

Unnless you mean by procedural generation is to cull up the planet into pieces and then show it as needed
Baiame
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, culling the planet into pieces would be one part of it. What I mean is using algorithms to produce heightmaps, then producing terrains from those heightmaps, then deforming those meshes to sphere segments. What you'd need to be able to do is to produce terrains with the same features but with detail that varies with distance from the camera (ie, producing a new heightmap using a segment of an old one).

I can't tell you how exactly to do it, I'm not that good of a programmer. It has been done (http://fl-tw.com/Infinity/), but the procedural techniques are probably out of DB's league.
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
I see Baiame that game sounds like I want to do where you can explore a new planet anthere is no restrictions within the laws of physics as Solar Dominion is to be a 3D 1st person FPS R.T.S. Flight and Space Simulator Hovercraft Tank game.

The thing is I would have to start relearning how to do algorithms to produce the heightmaps and then try and see how I could fit it into DBC. Possibly DBP might be able to handle it, but not sure about DBC.

I know you can "fake" that type of seamless planet landing and take off in DBC as if you checkout Starwraith I think that is Vice's site he has managed in DB to get a mesh deformation system going.
Baiame
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, definitely get DBP if you plan to try it. This- http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_perlin.htm should get you started, I found it very informative. I see the geometry side of it being possible, not sure about the texturing though.

Infinity uses perlin noise for the planet's base heightmap, then the diamond-square algorithm for "the details" (according to the game's creator).

I wasn't aware Star Wraith had anything like that, I'll have to check it out.
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes well here is the link to Starwraith 3D and subsequent games
http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/the one you might find most intresting are the space trader games where you can land and take off on planets like in Infinity. You can download demos from the website as well when I first played that game I thought Vice the guy who programmed the game had cracked it.

I really thougt I was landing and taking off on a planet, but I know better now LOL
Baiame
Years of Service
User Offline
I watched a video of a planetary descent in "Evochron Alliance". The transition was impressively smooth (although not all that pretty). One thing that struck me though is the scale of that planet; it's incredibly small by RL standards. Perhaps that's what you should aim for in your game. Tens of millions of square miles probably isn't necessary for your game.

It'd be a hell of alot easier to program and implement.
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 13:46 Edited at: 27th Sep 2006 19:29
Yes Baiame but I need the features of a large planet, including valley, hills, and canyons +cliffs to make it believable still for the games I shall be using the swap models for matrix trick they do in "Evochron Alliance".

I didn't want to have separate spaceflight and planet levels but is I am not successful in getting the seamless decnt and ascent then that will have to be for the first set of games
Baiame
Years of Service
User Offline
Of course you need all those features. But they could all be present as much in a planet a few thousand square miles in surface area as in one that is hundreds of millions of square miles. Basically, the latter is just impossible to do in DBP. Think of all the terrain variety you see in San Andreas (if you've played it). The surface area of that game's environment is only about 13.4 square miles.

There's noticable stutter in Infinity during space/planet transitions, and that's made in a purpose-built engine programmed in C++, running on a high-end PC.
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 15:44 Edited at: 27th Sep 2006 16:00
Well yes it could be just in a few thousand square miles that the PC could load , I did try it out in 3D Gamestudio and had the level working without transitions but I didn't know how to get the player to stay on the surface of the planet. I made the sphere quite big but I also loaded it quite small about 20,000 quants and it worked OK. After all most game maps are fairly small I think the biggesst I have seen for R.T.S. 's is the Uprising series although there is an R.T.S. that used a flight simulator map and there is also the Battlecruiser Series where I think the guy uses cyberplanets or at least massive ground maps as well.

Haven't played the G.T.A. series and haven't played the San Andreas part at all not sure if they are out on P.C. possibly will need a 360X box for it. or PC emulator/converter to play it. Still with DBP I think it sholud be able to handle Bryce Models that is Bryce 4 and 5 which I have . hopefully also should be able to handle tree models as well.

The guy there George Privou who does AUM Magazine has promised to show how to get the player and A.I to stay on the block spheres they have . I n a way its a pity DBP doesn't have a level maker like that with pre models and prefabs like that e.t.c.that would make it a little easier to do games like that really , because I do think instructionwise Dark Basic is better and easier to pick up for things like flight sims and hover tank sims, and its great to have joystick hat on both.

Still imagine a planet where you can set a main base plus lots of mini bases and you and the enemy just go to it
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
I was thinking though possibly I should really go back to meshes and see what happens there
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 18:24
About the Star Wraith range of games, I noticed someone saying the planets are small in EvoChron: Alliance. That it CAN be done with larger planets is shown in another of their games: Arvoch Conflict.

You should check it out, maybe you'll get an idea of what's possible in DBC.

tha_rami - the best way to predict the future is to invent it
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 04:08 Edited at: 11th Dec 2006 04:13
OK the_rami I will but I think though that they use a mesh system and I think I might have worked out what it is and how they do it.

Then we could have hovercraft tanks and space/aircraft fighting on planets, and could eliminate the need for "edge of the world " barriers.

I have manged now to really perfect the player vehicle controls for hovercraft, wheeled and tracked vehicles for joystick, mouse and keyboard, and joystick wheel so now it is A.I to work on

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 18:31:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 18:31:39