Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / creating a skybox without seams

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
don't you need a sky texture that can tesselate, if so does anyone have on i can use, or if not then how do you do it?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 15:49
Well, I suggest heading over to darkbasic.net and getting hold of Webdexts skybox tutorial. It uses Terragen (free) to render all 6 sides of a skybox - real easy to use too, just design your landscape and sky in Terragen, then run a little script that makes your textures for you.

Van-B
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 16:23
I made the skybox for that tute.

scaling could produce some fine lines if not correctly sized in the 3d program

no website at moment
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 17:17
Hi Indi!!!

So your the guy to blame for all those people saying 'your skybox has seams' on my landscape demo :/. What size is the skybox?, like whats the best way to scale it to avoid the little lines?.

Van-B
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 18:42
I found a good way using a modeler and a fairly easy image manipulation.

Basically you need a good 2D program such as PS,a sky texture or photo.

prepare the image:
Take your sky texture(or photo),add a little linear gradient in the bottom of your picture just enough to get some kind of horizon foggy-line...Now with Photoshop6 select FILTER>DISTORT>Polar Coordinates...In the setting choose RECTANGULAR TO POLAR.The filter shouldn't distort the clouds too much unless ALOT of detail was involved(and eventhough it's not THAT bad) and it should have deformed the gradient to a circular one by now.

MAake the sky:
This is the easiest part...Make a sphere,cut it in half to make a dome,select all of the bottom vertice and scale them just a little bit to be able to select them appropriately in the UNWRAPPING process.
Now apply a planar mapping on the TOP of the object and you should edit just a few vertice to finnish it.No seams.

CD On CD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 19:09
try this & see if it works:
http://www.skypaint.com/

taken from their site:
"SkyPaint is the world’s first paint tool for creating and editing 3D, seamless, 360° panoramic images."

United We (Still) Stand

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:22:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:22:22