Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2003 23:45
rigth as i have said before i have cleared out my project folder and am starting afresh.

My first project already on the way is and rpg (screenshots tomorrow at latest)

this will be a typical 2d rpg like zelda,ff and so on with one difference players will be able to alter the maps with any paint program that exports in .Bmp and walk around in it with a sprite also editable in fact ive just thought about an rpg creation utility.

i will try and get some screenshots up now.
Darkworlds are all around us just open your eyes
Most of us are still half asleep
genryu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 12:56
whats the story line

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 09:57
*sigh* Zelda isn't an RPG

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Suave
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, to the video game industry Zelda,Kingdom Hearts and Dark Cloud are called Action RPG's.

Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 15:09
Arrow, what is ti with you and saying: 'zelda isnt an rpg' does it really matter what people call it?
some people call startrek a stupid religeon, which it isnt, but i dont care about it, im not bothered.
some poeple do follow startrek as if it were a religeon, and as suave says, zelda is an action rpg, coz you play as the main character.

~Ben

Tha D'lithi'om CRR'ist'lls Can'na Tek it Cap'n!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 17:23
Zelda is an action adventure. And adventure game is where you collect items or abilities to get past obstacles instead of using levels. This means that you can revisit any area of the game any time.

You can't say a RPG like Zelda and FF as these are 2 completly different games. FF is a real RPG. Or what many refer to as a console style RPG.

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 18:57 Edited at: 10th Apr 2003 18:58
Brave Fenser Musashi and Kindom Hearts are Action/RPGs, beause even though you have real time combat, you still gain levels. In Zelda or Dark Cloud you don't gain levels and you reliy solely on items to enpower you, thus they are Advenutes. It's really hard to draw the line between action/adventures and just adverntures, so I just use the later.

It's a pet peve of mine. I hate it when so called fans of somethings don't know the very basics of the topic, like someone calling themselfs a Rammstein fan, but can't name one song other than "Du Hast". I know there aren't many adventures games out now days, but back in the NES's prime they were well known.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 19:48
Whilst I agree with the whole level gaining thing for rpgs, thats only a recent thing. Orignally I remember Zelda being described by Nintendo as an RPG, back when RPG was just "Role Playing Game" and had no such stigmas. However if you stuck to that, then games like Resident Evil and Devil May Cry would be labelled RPGs

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 22:26
If you define RPG by the fact that you are controlling a character then everything but sims, puzles and strategy games would be RPGs. And then, would Baldurs Gate be a RPG or a strategy game as you are controlling more then 1 character?

I have a strict definition of what an RPG is. The first thing that many think of is character dvelopement. If your character doesn't get better from playing then it's not an RPG. I also apply the fact that when playing a real RPG you don't controll the character, you only decide what he/she should do. Thus in a RPG you should only be able to order your character around not have full pricse controll. You're a completly new character thus your own reflexes and aim (for example) should not affect the outcome of a battle cause those are your abilites not your character's abilities.

Adventures are a big category of games, they are defined as I said by solving problems using items or abilities. There are 3 main branches of adventures, the first one that's more or less dead today is the text adventures. Next comes the graphical adventures like Monkey Island etc, still beeing made but sadly a dying genre due to costly developement but lack of sales due to short playtime, latest would be Gabriel Knight 3 I guess. And then we have action adventures like Zelda where you have direct and full controll over the character and have to defeat enemies, with 3D this genre are including a mix of platform jumping and block pushing as well.

[b]Digital Awakening
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 01:46
well i think you should all be ashamed of yourselves everyone knows that the genre adventure game carries no credit. hence why all true fans refer to zelda as an rpg, that way, even though it hardly fits into the category, it gives it a better sound. I mean compare:

Im going to play my new adventure game.
(sounds like myst or summit else which sux)
Im going to play my new rpg.
(immediately assuming final fantasy or diablo, legendary games)

i think thats why nintendo try to pass it off as an 'action rpg'.

of course this post was completely spontaneous and feel free to ignore, but i reckon i argued my case pretty well.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 03:06
I don't. I'm a purist, I call things what they are. I'm a true fan of Zelda and I call it an Adventrure. I don't know you realize that Myst is one of the best selling PC games of all time, so people must like it. I posted the birth or RPGs back in the 2d under some thread about Zelda, it should still be near the top if you care to read it. Personaly, I don't see how people even come to the idea it's an RPG. Oh, it's a fanasty game so it HAS to be an RPG. I can understand Dark Cloud being confused as an RPG, but not Zelda. Well maybe Zelda 2 : Link's Adventure, it's a RPG/Adventure. That game took me three months to beat, and the new one, Wind Waker, took me less than a week. Nintend needs to get off it's ass and make longer games. Anyway, the point is it doesn't have much to do with the current topic, so lets drop it.

Ole Sparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 15:29
Also, remember that 'traditional' RPGs GENERALLY have more depth and story because of their linearity than 'Action RPGs'/Adventure game. Then again, maybe I'm just biased because I don't like Zelda. Don't get me started on why.

#@&*(%$()!!!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 16:25
Nah, they can both be prety deep if they are made that way. Soul Reaver for example is very deep discussing subjects like time traveling and ethics. SR1 was a good action adventure while SR2 looked great and had a deep story but was prety boring as an adventure, you only get new ways to open doors and no bosses. In SR1 you learned different thechniques to get past different problems or to reach hidden places.

[b]Digital Awakening
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 17:00
Soul Reaver 1 was quite cool.

Any1 played DC Code Veronica? Thats an adventure game and that had an unpredictable, twisty, weird, depp plot, which is saying something as I didn't like Resi 1-3 or Dino Crisis much.

Arrow: 'Nintendo needs to get off it's ass and make longer games'
The official statement from Miyamoto before the release of GameCube was that he doesn't like long games, he thinks they should be short but perfectly formed. Hence the short, but very tight Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime etc. I'm not sure I agree with him, I mean sure Quality over Quantity and all, but I like a decnt length chalenge too.

My Favourite RPGs: Hmm

1.Final Fantasy VII (psx)
2.Panzer Dragoon Saga (saturn)
3.Chrono Trigger (snes)
4.Grandia (saturn)
5.Pokemon Blue (gb)
6.Suikoden 1 (psx)
7. Paper Mario (n64)
8.Skies of Arcadia (Dc)
9.Kingdom Hearts (ps2)
10.Shining Force 3 (saturn)

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Raven Vegeta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 17:28
If it's an RPG as Zelda I gonna love it. I never ever played a better RPG then Zelda .

Watashi wa Eletronic Arts de shigoto o shimasu!
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 19:09
shadow: you didnt read the rest of the posts before writing that did you

kangaroo: code veroica was very good, was probably the last resi game i played before they just got silly. I mean who wants prequels, we want to know what happened next. I agree games should be long and fun and definitely not repetitive like dark cloud. ne1 played lost kingdoms on gamecube, i bought it ages ago, was actually pretty good.

my fav rpgs (just to stay off the original topic) would be:

FF8 - dunno why but i liked it best so far
zelda, a link to the past - the only game i ever got a rom for because i loved it so much
zelda, links awakening - probably the best gameboy game although the pokemon games were pretty good (depressingly)
phantasy star online - i got it at the moment, i had it on DC and i hated it but even tho the GC version is the same i like it much more, my taste in games must have matured
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 20:16 Edited at: 11th Apr 2003 20:17
Robert did read the posts above, he's just trying to piss me off (not doing a good job either). He's a little flammer and stalker, just ignore him, he's only makes himself look foolish.

Adventures aren't around too much anymore, RE Code Veroica isn't one, it's a survial horror, or simply an action game. In it the character don't gain power or life, they just find better weapons. I never played Soul Reaver except demos, It never stuck me as an adventure, but like I said I never played it.

Kangroo2, I know of some nice long and good games. Xenogears (PS1) this take 80 hrs to beat and is one of the best RPGs ever. Front Mission 3 (PS1) This RPG/Stratagy take around 100 hours to beat. It's got two different sides to the story you can play, like one side you fight rebels in future China, in the other story you're fighting with them, another masterpiece for Squaresoft.

Once again, Zelda isn't an RPG, to classify it as one is to take away from it.

My list of Fav RPGs (please note the three way tie for first)

1. Xenogears
1. Final Fantasy 6
1. Final Fantasy 7
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Front Mission 3
4. Earthbound
5. Xenosaga (once the rest of the series comes out, expect this to jump to first)
6. Parasite Eve

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 22:02
A game that I have played over 100 hours and still haven't completed cause the amount of battles got too low. When you get into 3 cities in a row without some good battles it get's really boring talking to ppl. Anyway it's Arcanum that is made by the creators of Fallout. You can develope your character very freely. I was the best fighter in the world (after lerning master degrees of fighting and dodge) and also a very powerful mage. 1/3 of the map was still unexplored when I stoped playing it after weeks of constant playing.

Another game that also got a little too much talking for me and that I don't know how big it is but I played it for hours and hours is Planescape Torment. A very story driven RPG based on the Baldurs Gate engine.

[b]Digital Awakening
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 00:27
Hmm Haven't played Arcanum or Xenogears, will have to check them out

Phantasy Star Online - Does the Gamecube version allow you to choose ISPs? If so it may well shoot to the top of my favourites On dc it was great but cost me too much on my phone bill too develop my character properly

Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 12:42
well i havent even looked at it online yet, i hear you have to pay various fees so i just havent bothered until it gets more popular.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 03:39:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 03:39:02