Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What's a dll

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 05:16
Hey ive heard of it before and i know vaugley what it means but can someone explain to me what a dll is?
thanks
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 05:24
DLL stands for "Dynamic Link Library." It's a set of functions usually written in a language like C++ or Delphi that can be used by other programming languages to do other tasks. There are many third party dlls (often called plugins) for DarkBASIC around. These make it easier to do things like collision, physics, AI, etc. Usually the speed of these DLLS is greater than what you could get using DBP directly, and they also make certain complex things easier.

RadiusOFT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 06:11
can you give me an example of how it would be used (in actual code i mean)
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 07:16
Here's an example piece of code. If you are using DBC, you need the enhancements to call a DLL.

TDK_Man

RadiusOFT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 07:40
so you have to supply your own dlls right? they arent already in Darkbasic are they?
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 09:49
In the sense you're thinking of, no, they aren't in DarkBasic already, and yes, you need to supply them. There are a few third party publishers who make general .dll plugins for DarkBasic for certain general tasks, or you could write your own to suit your own specific needs.

"One World, One Web, One Program" -Microsoft ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer"(One People, One Kingdom, One Leader)-Adolf Hitler.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 21:37:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 21:37:41