Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / help on game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 07:48
okay,ive looked arouned and got ideas from several games and an rpg and want to make a mmorpg, not really mmo but about 30 players tops and only 10 players on at once. anyways i figure my goal right now is to make a heightmap landscape with a tower that has blocks that move to different areas near the tower. i know how to make ai but thats only when the game is starting, i want 2 have a ten second delay.

parrot
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 08:41
If your new a MMO is not the way to go!

When in Trouble with anything visit here your number one stop for help
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 19:09
If you are new, put that project on hold for a cupple of years, and then, when you got the right experiance, go on with it. If you are not new, you can try and make a five tons of programs where you test and understand how to do things, and then continue... In any case, it WILL be hard.
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 02:00
i knokw im not going 2 attempt the online part rite away. Neways r there any tutorials related to what i'm talking about? i searched for a bit but couldnt find nething. I'm looking up some tutorials on multiplayer and am getting it down. also i just noticed my typo-i meant i want 2 have boxes spawn at the bottom every ten seconds. I know about ai using states but adding another unit?

parrot
The end is near
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 04:44
dude, making a mmorpg is a huge task.
even if its not online...
Dont Do It!!!!

stargate sg-1 the one show that never gets old

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 12:01 Edited at: 25th Apr 2006 12:03
Spawning boxes every ten seconds.

If t<= timer()

t = timer() + 10000

` Spawn a box code here, or a gosub to it.

Endif

Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2006 00:52 Edited at: 27th Apr 2006 00:55
the time isnt really what i was asking....... anyway while i was about to post, i came up with a solution, that i'm surprised i didnt see before.

okay, so thats the code i have. i've always had problems when moving objects with limbs attached. Basically, the further the origional moves, the further the limbs seperate. also the tower moves, and every time one is spawned my camera goes back to 0,0,0 even if i take out all camera commands. i just cant figure out whats going on!

[edit]
also i'm not planning to make it an mmo for a long time. Once i finally get the game going which i know wont be finished in a year and a half. Then i have to upload the textures, and eventually replace them all with models, which i might have to make alot of it all over again. then i have to make the menu, yadda yadda yadda etc. etc.

parrot
Mari0mega
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't done anything with limbs on objects (i'm a relative newb as well) but to solve the camera issue, you should type in AUTOCAM OFF near the beginning of your program.
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 00:41
okay, i fixed it, i had to put

but i have no idea how that works... and in my game you will be able to mouseclick and build one but then would i have to create another variable for each containing the xyz? Also, i know this isnt a very simple question and im not expecting a straight answer but how would you use the mouse to place objects?
if mousey()>get ground height=0?
a=mousey()
endif
position object 1 , mousex(),a,????
i have no idea how to do this..... and im pretty sure get ground height wouldnt work, and yes i know there are specifications for get ground height.

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 06:57
so... is there no answer?

parrot
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 06:59
spend 6 months learnig commands before you embark on a project like this.
make snippets that all tie into each other regarding elements you want to use in your game.
start with a one player engine and from there you can adapt it to multiplayer.
create a folder called MySnippets and start putting commands together.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself &#63743;
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2006 00:32
thats what im doing... im just making the building snippet 1st, or are you saying i should start with something easier?

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 06:18
so..........

parrot
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 09:33 Edited at: 9th May 2006 09:33
Snippets is a very good way of learning. It's easy enough, if you don't try and experimant with as an example meshs and limbs. That will come later.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 23:18:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 23:18:10