Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / DBSI - Open source system info project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 20:31 Edited at: 28th Apr 2006 07:16
Current Downloadable Version: *Beta* 1.0.0.1
Last Updated: April 28th, 2006
Latest download on page: 1
Next version percentile: 8%

About:

DBSI is an open source system information program that I am writing so that new users to DBP can learn the basics of DBP, BlueGUI, and the Enhancements Pack. Those 2 DLL's are required to compile the code, along with the free DLL by Goga, found at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=76887&b=5. The code is well commented but I have not included a help file yet.

This is the first real project I ever started on. I have had 1 project before this, but that was months ago and all it did was print a variable in the form of text onto the screen. So you can basically say I have no DBP experiance what so ever. I am doing this project for the new people to DBP. This projects main purpose is mainly for influence and learning help. This is so new users can see how easy DBP is, and what some of the stuff is that it can do. Remember, I am 99% new to DBP and had no help writing this.

DBSI's main purpose is to take system information and give it to the programs user. It will retrieve CPU information such as CPU speed, CPU used, CPU frequency, CPU brand, etc. It will also show other detailed information about the computer such as stuff about RAM, display, hard drives, CD and DVD drives, etc.

I have also decided to let DBSI give you some tests that will record data you may want to know. It will have tests for DBP's 2d engine. This can show users how well their computer will handle DBP's 2D functions. There will also be a couple 3D oriented tests, some sound tests, and some program execution speed and loading speed tests.

DBSI will also output the data you want it to. You can save all of your data or choose to leave some stuff out that you may find personal. You can leave out whole sections, or leave out specific recorded data. You can then send saved data to other users for them to view using DBSI. The files created can also be read by your DBP game or program, even without any of the DLL's used to write DBSI. You can simply used a load function I wrote to load a .sid (DBSI data file) and use the variables you select to value and compare. Something like that would be good for setting up dynamic default graphics and program settings. I am also going to release a version that quickly tests and exports the system info you choose in the background. You can use this durring an install to get the system info right away for use.

Feature that I will have by program finish (so you can learn how to do them):

System:
- Full system readout from the functions provided by DBP and the Enhancements pack.
- Optional desktop alerts for ram usage, cpu usage, and optional scheduled tests.
- A simple load function that can read the user data files created so you can perform system speed tests (with an exe that runs and closes in th background, but created the file with their system data) and set default graphics and game settings.

Tests:
- 2D sprite and text tests with FPS count
- 3D model viewer with FPS count
- 3D level viewer with FPS count
- MP3 music with multiple sounds with CPU usage
- OGG music with multiple sounds with CPU usage
- Loading test with final time count. Shows how fast your CPU and RAM can load DBP data.

Download in this post:

Version *Beta* 1.0.0.0 with source.

Shows a very basic, but nowhere near final, GUI layout. It also has some of the save and load functions. This can be a good release for a new DBP user to read first, which is the only reason why I released such as early version. Download this so you can start early and not be overwhelmed with many many lines of code in later releases.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 21:11
hmmmmmmmm i goin to keep an eye on this.

visit my site (unfinished)
www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 22:15
nice *downloads*

Theme park simulator wip boards

EsteemDE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 19:27 Edited at: 28th Apr 2006 11:30
Well I got a lot done again. I reduced the ammount of lines of code some of the functions had. DBSI also runs faster. I included a screen shot that shows how it looks so far. What I am doing right now is adding the CPU data readout controls and update/clear functions. So the next beta release will be done by tomorrow night with the CPU functions being fully active with open and save working.

Completed updates so far for version *Beta* 1.0.0.1:

Features:
- Added fully working Open, Save, and Save As options for DBSI data.
- Added fully working Open, Save, and Save As options for DBSI Settings.
- Added fully working status bar with CPU usage, computer name and user name readouts.
- Added fully working advanced functions for delete default settings and delete default data.
- Added a fully working file map so DBSI can only run once. I found running it more than once can cause system errors or system lockup.
- Added partialy working functions for clearing and reloading the data sections. "Partialy working" meaning some of the functions are not fully written yet. These functions are also binded to the correct menu option clicks.
- Added the cool down function provided by the free DBP dll by Goga. This makes DBSI run at great at full speed while keeping the CPU usage down (a mere 3% on my 1.8p4 system).

Code:
- Reduced length of save and open functions for both settings and data using new custom functions write_data/read_data and write_settings/read_settings.
- Updated comments.
- Code now runs faster due to other reductions in the ammount of lines of code in certain functions.

Attachments

EsteemDE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2006 07:15 Edited at: 28th Apr 2006 11:29
Version in this post:

DBSI *Beta* v1.0.0.1 - Full

Versions:

Full - Full source code with compiled EXE for users without the needed DLL's.

No EXE - Same as above but no compiled EXE.

Clean - Does not come with compiled EXE and all code comments are removed. See updates for reason.

Updates for version *Beta* 1.0.0.1:

Features:
- Added fully working CPU tab data controls with data output.
- Added fully working Open, Save, and Save As options for DBSI data.
- Added fully working Open, Save, and Save As options for DBSI Settings.
- Added fully working status bar with CPU usage, computer name and user name readouts.
- Added fully working advanced functions for delete default settings and delete default data.
- Added a fully working file map so DBSI can only run once. I found running it more than once can cause system errors or system lockup.
- Added partialy working functions for clearing and reloading the data sections. "Partialy working" meaning some of the functions are not fully written yet. These functions are also binded to the correct menu option clicks.
- Added the cool down function provided by the free DBP dll by Goga. This makes DBSI run at great at full speed while keeping the CPU usage down (a mere 3% on my 1.8p4 system).

Code:
- Reduced length of save and open functions for both settings and data using new custom functions write_data/read_data and write_settings/read_settings.
- Updated comments.
- Code now runs faster due to other reductions in the ammount of lines of code in certain functions.
- New clean version with no comments for users who want to learn by reading the code and looking up things themselves. I learned this way and it may be better for other users also. People learn in different ways.

Attachments

EsteemDE
Years of Service
User Offline
Version in this post:

DBSI *Beta* v1.0.0.1 - No EXE

Attachments

EsteemDE
Years of Service
User Offline